Can an exhibitionist co-exist with a naturist society?

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Todd_99, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Todd_99

Todd_99 Member

Let's say you're an exhibitionist. You get aroused by having others see you naked and/or see you having sex. And you want to go to a nudist resort or nude beach, largely so others will see you naked. If most of the other people at the nudist resort or nude beach don't go nude because they're exhibitionists, but because they just like the liberating feeling of being nude, wouldn't the exhibitionist feel like he/she is a phony?

2. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I really don't think that an exhibitionist will fit in well with the naturist society. Yeah, the exhibitionist is likely to feel phony.

3. Todd_99

Todd_99 Member

Then what is one to do if they are by nature an exhibitionist yet they want to enjoy the liberating feeling of being naked in a social environment with other naked people?

4. nldn

nldn Senior Member

It depends on the behaviour of the exhibitionist I think.

5. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

Well that person would need to set himself some boundaries then.

6. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

If an exhibitionist went to a nude beach, obviously they would walk around with clothes on.

;)

7. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

I don't really understand this question. Being an exhibitionist "by nature" needn't mean you have to behave like that 100% of the time, e.g. walking around with an erection or whatever. So as long as you behave appropriately on this occasion, there shouldn't be a problem.

8. D.and.D_in_Dallas

D.and.D_in_Dallas Guest

[B]Sure they can[/B] ( the question is will they go to the trouble to not beyond the rules ) we have a few "exhibitionist" types in our nudist club they generally are the life of the party.

IF

they keep their behavior within the rules. Nothing necessarily wrong with the fact they are sexually excited it is all about how they act.

9. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

> Let's say you're an exhibitionist. … want to go to a nudist resort or nude beach … wouldn't the exhibitionist feel like he/she is a phony?

Hi, I guess you can’t scrutinize this in such one-dimensional way. I’m pretty sure there are no 100% nudists or 100% exhibitionists, but the majority of people practicing nudism holds fractions of both.
    Nudism is a way of living, or just a life attitude. On the other hand exhibitionism is a sexual preference. So you probably can’t contrast these both.

My experience with the some exhibitionistic guys I know is that some enjoy going to nude beaches and don’t feel bad doing so, but others don’t like it (btw. this applies to any people). I guess it depends more on personal preferences and on the individual life story.

I guess if you have a strong urge to display yourself naked, it’s not wrong to look for opportunities where this is possible and socially accepted, e. g. nude beaches or resorts, certain fests or parades etc. – by all means better than to confront people who wouldn’t like to see a nude guy popping up, or even get traumatized. Of course you should behave adequate, for example not walk around flaunting a boner at the family beach.

1 person likes this.
  10. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

I think this is wrong, but we don't get much reinforcement for the idea that being naked can happen without a sexual aspect. Nudity is such a social transgression(!!) that we immediately assume there must be something behind it, like we want our genitals to be seen, or alternatively we must be ashamed but forcing ourselves to do it. It's not easy to believe that nudity can be casual, where we don't care if we're seen or not, or that we don't expect other people to be blind, but we don't think we're especially interesting either. I believe nudity doesn't need to affect interaction with people we don't know--it can happen just as it would any other time.

So if you're going to say we're all partly exhibitionists, I'm disagreeing. I really don't think I go naked to be seen by anyone, and I think I'm proving that by being comfortably nude when I'm alone, or with male friends, or with mixed gender groups, and it doesn't change if there are children around. I'm not concerned about whether people see me or don't see me, as long as nobody gets angry or embarrassed. Exhibitionists seem odd to me, because what are they getting from being naked that I don't get? It ought to be the same experience, but evidently it's not.

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I guess feeling like a phony is on the person in question. I don't see why anyone exhibitionist can't enjoy being naked in an environment where nudity is expected.

12. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi,

> I think this is wrong, but we don't get much reinforcement for the idea that being naked can happen without a sexual aspect.

Of course this can happen. Didn’t negate this in my post. Hovering my flat naked has no sexual aspect to me, for example.
    But on the other hand e.g. lying in the dunes with my friend arm in arm has a sexual aspect, no matter if we do this at a nude beach or at a textile one. You can’t switch off this just because you live as a nudist (and I think it’s also nothing to strive for).

> Nudity is such a social transgression(!!) that we immediately assume there must be something behind it, like we want our genitals to be seen, or alternatively we must be ashamed but forcing ourselves to do it.

I don’t, believe me. And I’m always trying to spread this views, especially that there is no reason to be ashamed about nudity.

> I believe nudity doesn't need to affect interaction with people we don't know--it can happen just as it would any other time.

Yes, of course.

> So if you're going to say we're all partly exhibitionists, I'm disagreeing …

Well, I feel a bit misunderstood now. Looks like I have to expand the scope. First, all humans are sexual beings, you can’t switch this off. Second, the urge to present yourself to others (in any mean) is one of the basics of social living. It’s in our genes as the result of the development process of the human race. Without this, we would have probably had become extinct some millenniums ago, due to a low reproduction rate. These both facts are not my idea, just the scientific state of the art. And I guess exhibitionism or better to say exhibitionistic behavior patterns are just a possible little part and variety of this genetic legacy.

> I really don't think I go naked to be seen by anyone …

Yes, I guess most of us here would subscribe this. But if there are some others who take delight in being seen nude, why not as long as they consider the social rules of living together and behave adequate (I’m not talking about the statutory offence exhibitionism). And one of the social rules at a nude beach (recalling the original question) is “you may (or even should) go nude”. So if someone who likes to be seen nude goes nude at a nude beach, he still acts adequate.