How to make straight, long hair curly/wavy?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Lee55, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lee55

Lee55 Member

So, I have shoulder lengh hair. Its quite thick and im not really in love with how it is at the moment. I want it to be really nice curly, shaggy hair, like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How would i go about turning rather straight, thick hair into this without using curlers of any other hairdresser shite. I have some styling wax and foam thingy but thats about it. Thanks

2. Na Cal

Na Cal Guest

When it's still damp from my shower, I braid it into two or three braids for the night and sleep. If it REALLY doesn't like to stay, try not using shampoo or conditioner, just get your hair wet. If it still doesn't stay, slick some mousse through your hair.

3. Beatbird

Beatbird Member

Hi! I have very straight hair too, now it's pretty long, down to my waist but when it was shoulder length, i loved curling it :)
    Here's what you can do:
    1. you can braid them while it's still damp, like Na Cal said, but that only gives you waves, not curls. you can do your braids up like into a topknot, that helps a bit.
    2. use those hair curlers they used to in the sixties. i used them and i love it because you can create all kinds of styles and it doesn't damage your hair. only they're very uncomfortable to sleep in.
    3. same as the curlers, but there are sponge hair rollers, i love them even more :D i have flower shaped ones. only be careful not to take them out if your hair is still damp, because your curls will droop, blow dry your hair and then you can take the rollers out
    4. newspaper! :D or any kind of paper. take a long shred of paper, and fold it till it's relatively thick (basically you're making the paper into the shape of a sponge hair roller) and when you've curled your hair on the paper, tie it into a knot. the problem with this is that it tears easily and sometimes doesn't stay in place, but it works pretty fine
    5. you can get a perm (i used to have one), it's good if you don't want to spend a lot of time with the methods above every week (like I did :D), but it damages your hair

4. DMFP

DMFP Member

The only thing I can think of without heated curlers or the normal hairdressing equipment/stuff would be to place one finger in an electric socket - not for too long though. Maybe 3-4 seconds and then up it by 2 seconds each time to acquired the desired curliness level.

Good luck and may the Force be with you:sunny:

5. foresting

foresting Member

Use a hair moose while your hair is damp. Apply moose on and then scrunch!

6. Reha

Reha Guest

Gel your hair and shape then accordingly with straightening machine or curler, always apply hair serum to boost your hair quality.

7. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

I have thin brittle hair and it looks like that all the time haha and I want it straight but nothing really works. I've tried an amount of products, thickening products, expensive shit I see on tv for more volume and length. All lies. At least with my scalp.

8. metime

metime Member

Take a shower before bed and apply some moose for curly hair to the lower half of your hair. Then put that lower half of your hair in about 4 or 5 braids and go to sleep. Then in the morning undo the braids and lightly run your fingers through your hair to break up the waves a little.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

10. Lily89

Lily89 Members

This must be an eternal problem. I have curly hair and trying to make it straight my whole life...

11. JaneLove

JaneLove Members

Haven't you tried just to apply some gel or foam on your wet hair and kind of massage it? This is how I make my curls when I need them.