Anarchism.... what now?!

Discussion in 'Activism' started by maluhia, Nov 18, 2011.

1. maluhia

maluhia Member

I always wanted to know so much about Anarchism and all those A symbol shirts and Che Guevara's face (I dont know if that even takes part on anarchism).

Does anybody know a little bit about it? I mean, more than just being against of any type of authority? Are you against it, or not?

Yay thats all! :sunny:

2. primalflow

primalflow Member

We'e been trying to be machines for way too long. It's time to be human again. Anarchism is the only way, because it's the ony one that's not a way. Just go your own way...

Jaene Hoku likes this.
  3. maluhia

maluhia Member

But like, dont you think its impossible to happen?! There are so many people that are mean around the world.

4. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

They are mean if you give them reason to be... A government - rebel. No money - Steal...it goes on. Give them no reason to be and they won't.

Jaene Hoku likes this.
  5. Urchin

Urchin Guest

There is no one definition of anarchism.

6. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

double post, sorry

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

as said above, a single definition of anarchism is tricky. this is because "anarchism" is not really a political philosophy in and of itself, but rather an umbrella term which covers a wide array of radical leftist philosophies and complete political systems. these include: mutualism, individualism, anarcha-feminism, syndicalism, anarcho-communism, federalism etc
    of these the two most dominant strains are anarcho syndicalism and anarcho communism. (anarcho-individualism is pretty big, but mainly a movement in literature, rather than a political movement.)

it may seem complex, and it is, but really its the interplay and discourse between these competing ideologies which makes anarchism such a vibrant and interesting school of thought and action. it isn't a big, monolithic doctrine, to learn and parrot, or to take for granted, but rather a constantly shifting framework of different ideas which requires constant, conscious thought.

there are, however, certain things that (most) anarchists tend to have in common:

opposition to the state; most anarchists believe that governments are necessarily tyrranical, and advocate a non-heirarchical societal structure based on voluntary association.

anti-capitalism; a recognition that the capitalist system is based on exploitation, and stands in the way of human freedoms. therfore, communal ownership of property etc is common

it is important to remember that anarchism is NOT a lack of ORDER or STRUCTURE, merely a horizontal, rather than vertical structure, without leaders of bosses. (in fact, the circled "A" you've seen about? thats actually an A and an O, shorthand for the slogan "anarchy is order")

it is also important to remember than anarchism is NOT utopian (most modern anarchists are firmly anti-utopian)

finally, people will try and tell you that anarchism is based around naieve optimism or a misunderstanding of the human condition and is therefore unworkable. reading some of the literature should be enough to disabuse you of the notion that anarchists are living in some fairytale fantasy world.

the best resource for information about social anarchism is the anarchismFAQ, this has been compiled online over a very long period of time and goes into great detail, its a brilliant resource:

http://anarchism.pageabode.com/afaq/index.html

other books which are really important to understanding anarchism are:

mikhail bakunin: god and the state
    peter kropotkin: conquest of bread, mutual aid
    emma goldman: anarchism and other essays

i'd also reccomend a familiarity with marx's critique of capitalism. although many anarchists are critical of marx, his theories are incredibly important to the development of anarchism.

i also reccomend the works of Noam Chomsky, particularly understanding power.

the great thing about anarchism of course is that most of these key texts are available absolutely free. i reccomend librivox, who, through the use of volunteers, offer free audiobooks of texts in the public domain, they are available through itunes or online.

heres a little poem about anarchy:

ANARCHY
    By: John Henry Mackay

Ever reviled, accursed, ne'er understood,
    Thou art the grisly terror of our age.

"Wreck of all order," cry the multitude,
    "Art thou, & war & murder's endless rage."

0, let them cry. To them that ne'er have striven
    The 'truth that lies behind a word to find,

To them the word's right meaning was not given.
    They shall continue blind among the blind.

But thou, O word, so clear, so strong, so true,
    Thou sayest all which I for goal have taken.

I give thee to the future! Thine secure
    When each at least unto himself shall waken.

Comes it in sunshine? In the tempest's thrill?
    I cannot tell - but it the earth shall see!

I am an Anarchist! Wherefore I will
    Not rule, & also ruled I will not be!

:D have fun

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

9. Beca012

Beca012 Member

Anarchism is a philosophy that essentially rests upon the belief that people are naturally good beings. Which, if looking at the world, can not be established as a fact.
    It's all for the people and for roaming free blablabla... Yeah and look at Che Guevara? A ruling elite is what became of that freedom and not anarchy. It became an oligarchy. People will always have the need to control and the need to be controlled.

Honestly. Anarchism is just one of those things people grow out off when they get older.

10. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Anarchists aren't necessarily anti-capitalism-- anarcho-capitalists definitely aren't.

I think it's a bad idea, personally... and I hate when people think that 'freedom' is the best thing in the world. If you were free to do whatever you want then it would be the people who didn't play by the rules who would rise to the top. The willingness to do 'whatever it takes' would give them an advantage... just as it does in our current society. Money and evil wins... and you don't matter. Just ask the unions, the manufacturing industry, and the college kids. That's why everyone wants to be one of the 1%-- because being a complete douchebag gives you the biggest reward.

Anarchy would be absolutely horrible for the environment-- look at what has been happening since that **** Reagan decided to favor the rich-- fewer regulations, more pollution. It's actually next to impossible to find uncontaminated space... and it's getting worse. The storms, earthquakes and such are going to get worse because there are very few ways to support yourself that don't contribute to global warming.

Anarchy would be absolutely horrible for the economy-- deregulation allowed wall street to steal trillions for themselves by removing the barriers between the banks and the markets. There is a reason that those rules used to exist... but in the 70s corporate America infiltrated the government and made sure that they would be taken away.

Deregulation and 'freedom' is the reason that the US is a neo-feudal system with a puppet government... if the government weakens itself like it did under Reagan, Clinton and Bush, eventually the capitalists end up holding the economy hostage and there's nothing you can do about it except keep giving them your money, and when you go into debt, give them money that you don't have.

I think all of these kids who wear anarchy t-shirts are hopelessly deluded and have absolutely no sense of what they're actually promoting. Anarchy might work in small, self-contained communities but that's not the world we're living in.

To me anarchism is the same thing as asking a known pedophile with zero self-control to babysit your children.

11. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

However, wouldn't you agree with me that anarchism may lower expectations for the property standards as financial and consumption standards keep being maintained and worked by the entrepreneur for the so-called balanced budget. Eventually property takes consumption for default as well as debt, extra-legally organized profit sharing as well as bankruptcy. Obama needs to offer encouragement for profitable employment opportunities of invented worth. (???)

12. Driftwood Gypsy

i'm seeing how the world is and i think anarchy is the most natural and probably the best answer.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

@ fraggle. Your points on the economy are why i know anarchy will never work if it was suddenly converted now. But if it had always been... then its likely the economy would have never evolved the way it did. Its not a subject i like to talk about because there are so many variables that two people could argue what would happen and say completely opposite things. And both people could be right. It depends on thier specific definition of what anarchy is. And as mentioned before people have different definitions of the word. And also when does the nwo take place? Has it always been? Does it start now? Did it start when they came over on the mayflower.
    To other comments saying it relies on people being good. I dont think so. If someone did me wrong i would get a fair revenge.

14. Driftwood Gypsy

i think in a sort of anarchy people would form their own autocratic tribes, and social darwinism would weed out the assholes.

15. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

anarchism is a long way far from us but i don't believe it's unattainable. it's just a matter of how slowly ppl evolves for the better.

16. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

17. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

Technology maybe a major facilitator in creating an equalized, abundant, self-sufficient, peer-to-peer society based on individual and local self-reliance, equal participation, accountability, etc. Think of the effect the internet has had on equalizing communication and promoting transparency. Or how advances in 3D printing, automation, clean energy could promote more personal autonomy and less dependence.

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

and so can people be and without laws of some kind....that would get out of hand......Oh, you are on my man....or girl...bang, bang....oh, you are better something than me then bang , bang....The things people get bent out of shape over even from stories I have heard about people going out to kill someone from something that may have said on a social media sites is unbelievable......

With too many people in this world and fast this or fast that......the quality of life is gone. People don't need other people that much, anymore.....as they are all competing for the same things.

With too much quantity...quality is gone.

and I really do not have that much faith in humankind, as it is.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  19. Moonglow181

Seems you are just looking for an excuse to murder and seize things. don't buy it . sorry.....so the assholes will rule the planet?

No, thanks.....

That would be going back in time.

20. Moonglow181

So no fireman, or anything.....ambulence services and so on?

BULL SHIT.."only selfish people are bothered by thieves". ...BULL SHIT!

Go work and pour your own sweat and tears into your own things.....

I am generous to a fault......and will help anyone in need.

So you think thieves are deserving, as they take other things people earn with brute force?