Hippie-oriented colleges...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by SunnyHappyVegan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. grace_sagewillow

grace_sagewillow Guest

Oberlin and Antioch are both in Ohio. I'm considering them both as possible schools, if I decide to take that route!

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

College.

Except Texas A&M. They're pretty hardcore nazis.

3. HeyJudeYou'llDo

HeyJudeYou'llDo Guest

I just got accepted to Portland State University, and from what I can tell it's not a bad place for hippies to go. At least I really hope I don't get there and find out it is.

One that screams hippie at me and I'd love to go to if I could afford it is Northland College in northern Wisconsin. I've been looking at their website for years, drooling over it.

4. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

I don't know if Antioch (Ohio) is necessarily Hippy - but it is definitely Radical Leftist, with a heavy feminist bend. They call it 'The Bootcamp for the Revolution' - [My ex GF went here]

On the West Coast, I did 1 year at Cal (Berkeley), it is way more professionally oriented now than anything near Hippy.

HSU (Humboldt State) is where I graduated from. This is a full on Hippy Haven as far as schools go - and the town is a nice Hippy / Libertarian zone. HSU would get my vote for the most steadfastly Hippy school.

Santa Cruz (UCSC) is still a Hippy Haven but is more and more influenced by the Southern California Transplants. More make-up and less dreads these days. The town of Santa Cruz also is moving more and more from a sleepy hippy town to a standard beachside metro. But there is still a good counter culture there. (I was born & raised in SC)

5. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

hippies and university? wut wut?

6. pickleweed

pickleweed Members

The Evergreen State College voted the number 1 school in the nation by High Times magazine when I went there, and the legalization of marijauna in Washington state probably hasn't hurt

7. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

The University of Western Connecticut has a killer jazz program

They're the ones the movement started from - I don't know if I would call them hippies, but they're definitely hip people to say the least. Jazz musicians are generally hip or downright weird - and more often than not both

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So I guess you have the smarts and money to go to any of these places, and you're just trying to find out which one is the "hippist"? That's your prime criterion for a college education? Rich daddy? Trust fund? What exactly do you mean by "hippie"? Herb/drug friendly? Environment conscious? Politically progressive? Laid back curriculum? Shaggy professors and students? Artsy? BTW, yes, Brandeis is Jewish and you wouldn't like it, because it's square as all get out. Great school though. The "notoriously hippie" Naropa U. (posst#7) is specifically Buddhist.

9. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Look no further than Burlington Vt. as someone else said. I can attest to that.