Washing dreadlocks after having them put in for first time?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by swampyolivia, Oct 23, 2011.

1. swampyolivia

swampyolivia Guest

I am planning on putting dreadlocks in over Christmas vacation this year, when I can get the help from family with it. I have read from Knotty Boy and other sources that you're not meant to wash your hair after getting your dreads first put in for 2 weeks. I have very oily hair and normally if I don't wash it every day it gets incredibly oily and horrible to look at and feel.
    So if I go for two weeks without washing my hair, it'll smell and be totally gross. So what shall I do over that two week period to stop my hair from being totally greasy and stinky?

2. JimboWizbo

JimboWizbo Member

You can wash your hair as much as you like, dreads will take months and months before they're on their way, so it really doesn't matter what happens in the first few weeks

3. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

I just waited two days before washing. Washing will make your dreads fall out if you backcombed, at least it did for me. But the falling out will happen anyways so i think washing ends up helping with speeding it up a bit. Just be careful what you use, residue free of course.

4. Musharaf

Musharaf Member

I only waited 5 days, it really doesnt matter.
    But what you can do is starting to get your scalp used to wash only every 3-4 days, before you backcomb. Alot of ppl get some dandruff problems and oily hair in the beginning, and if your scalp is used to getting washed only once or twice a week it wont produce that much oil and gunk.
    Good luck with your new hairdo.

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This post nicely highlights why backcombing is counter-productive.

*edit* I forgot to say, only posers wash dreadlocks.

6. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Exactly.
    Though it helps with sectioning.

7. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

wash them, and scrub them, and mush them up lots - it encourages knottyknots! :)

8. swampyolivia

swampyolivia Guest

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    I'm planning on using wax (yes people don't start yelling at me, I've decided I want to because it'll help to tighten them and keep the stray hairs under control!)
    I'm planning on using KnottyBoy - the wax is non petroleum based and will work well I think. Does anybody have any good suggestions as to what wax I should use? Anybody with experience with knottyboy or wax in general would be appreciated.

9. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

I'm not yelling. Just nicely screaming
    Wax is terrible. It smells and makes your hair sticky and looks darker. It also impedes your dreading process as it holds your "locks" in place, preventing it from moving around and actually locking up. Think about it more and read the stickies.

10. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

First, you can't "put dreads in"; they happen on their own. There are things that you can do to encourage them, and washing them as often as you want (with something non-residue) is one of them.

Second, using wax & Knotty Boy as a reference is not a good start for you or your hair. Wax does not help tighten them, nor does it permanently help loose hairs.

I'd familiarize myself with the FAQ located in "Read this before posting". It answers the questions that you asked here.

11. JimboWizbo

JimboWizbo Member

Even if wax did help I know through experience that it leaves EVERYTHING STICKY and bluergh

You know when you've just had a packet of crisps and feel like you can't touch anything. Imagine that every time you touch your hair!

12. Smelly D

i have personal experience of using wax - i used KB on my first two sets of dreads.

alarm bells should be ringing - 2 sets of dreads, 2 lots of wax.. wonder why they didnt last longer than 6 months? (ive had my current set of dreads [wax free] for nearly 3 years..)

WAX IS BAD

it gunks/glues your hair together
    hair cannot move to tangle/knot
    it collects at the nape of your neck and gunks up your pillow
    its hard to wash off your neck (oil + water = nuhhuh) and hence, you can get rashes
    it helps stuff to stick in your hair (fluff, dirt, wasps - yes, i had a wasp in my waxy dreads once)
    it blocks up the drain
    it smells gross
    no matter how much you try, youll never be able to soften it enough
    itll go on lumpy and gross, and just makes you look like youve smeared your hair with shit

and im saying this FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE!!!!!

dont use wax. at all. never. nuhhuh. no. dont.

also, in the summer, wax in dreads will melt a bit in the sun - helloooo slimey face/hairline/neck line

oh! it messes up the collar line of clothes too..

13. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

Yeah, what Smelly said (why do you think she's called Smelly ;) ) only joking, but seriously, Wax is Bad 'm' Kay

14. Smelly D

haha, no, seriously ;)

15. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

oh jesus. seriously? wax = bad. I had a friend of mine go get her dreads done at a salon and they put wax in her hair. She hated the way it looked and felt, but since it was waxy, she couldn't just comb out. she ended up buzzing her hair, which was like 2 and a half feet long. sad sad day.

16. NaedBHF

NaedBHF Member

Don't use wax , problem solved.

17. JasonVII

JasonVII Is Awesome

this may seem obvious by now, but everyone is telling you not to use wax because it does not help dreads to tighten, your stray hairs will never be "in control," in fact think of wax like a time stopper, you will never have dreads if you use wax, because dreads need to move and knot and they cant do that without being free to move.

anywhoo, its your hair to wreck, you came here looking for advice, its your choice to use it or not.

18. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

Wax isn't good, I had it in my 1st set of dreads attracts fluff, lint and dirt, also IF you get lice it makes it harder to get rid of them as they have the wax to bury in to so they can survive easier *scratches head* but yeah you've been advised by more than a few people so I'm gonna shut up now

19. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

read the god damn FAQ

20. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

was this friend you by any chance?