Ghost Town's photographs

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Koryssa_RUS, Oct 9, 2011.

1. GoofyGooberz

GoofyGooberz Just Bitchy!!!!!!!!

This thread is amazing. Those pics koryssa are just amazing. The while abandon buildings /villages are so sad yet fascinating. It is history.

Please when you have more.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's kind of sad to think of all the human activities that took place in those locations--and that the folks that lived and died and worked in them are now gone, the once beautifull buildings turning to rot and ruin to eventually just disappear. The lives lived in those places turn out to have been pretty much meaningless without the thread of continual generations to remember it all.

More,please.

3. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

What a waste of lives and property... Some of the best photos I have seen. Please keep them coming.

4. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

These pictures are just amazing. My favorite were the hospital pictures. Abandoned hospitals are about my favorite thing ever. :D Thanks so much for posting and post more, please! They are fantastic!

5. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Again thank you for such kind words!

Yes. I will upload soon, I have explored underground places recent. I learnt so much of photography, from when I take these photographs to now. I can now HDR, for example. The camera I used for this was old also. I hope to have Canon 5D by 2012, and find more abandoned places.

6. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

You should publish a book of your pictures...

7. O.W.L

O.W.L Member

I love your style. very cool.

8. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The cemetary was eery. There is a young guy here that I saw on the news the other night that is doing the same. He's taking pictures of abandoned buildings in the US and they are very haunting also.
    A book of these type photos would be an excellant idea. Maybe from many differant countries. Keep 'em coming.

10. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

OP posted some really neat pics....

But OP, are you sure you took all of them? I thought there was SOME sort of pretense of keeping people from wandering around chernobyl..... and many of those, like the empty pool and the one with the doll in the road, are, by now, pretty famous structures from chernobyl, to the point of being recognisable from pop culture.

If COD4 taught me right, the one with the doll is of a hotel, and it's very near the reactor. So is the ferris wheel. The mural with the woman's face isn't what I'd expect in the soviet union though, can't decide if I like it or not, I think I do. Overall it's a neat set of pictures, showing what looks to be a pretty wide look at different levels of soviet-ness.

I hope you don't get cancer.....

12. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

13. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Thank You!

I am very certain! )))

In fact, it now is easy to visit Chernobyl. You can arrange here:

http://www.tourkiev.com/chernobyltour/

14. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

it isn't that complicated to visit the town of Pripyat and others. It seems to be far more complicated to bootleg radioactive material out of the zone ;). Anyways, there are hot areas all around there. But overall radiation levels are not that high. Chances are good that you will be exposed to a higher dose after a trans atlantic flight and a holiday on a tropical beach with lots of monazite sand and stuff, than you will be exposed to in Pripyat.

Regards
    Gyro

15. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

You are correct, it is 'Hotel Polissya' )) Next to this is Palace of Culture on Lenin Square. Ferris Wheel is West of Hotel Polissya, with reactor being quite far from city of Pripyat.

[​IMG]

Here is distance, 4 3.43km

Yes, this is correct. Now also it is not possible to take items from Chernobyl zone, as you must have scan before exit.

I am very more concerned with danger I have from breathe in asbestos dust, than radiation!

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

For me, the stuff is fun, on all sorts of levels, from "I always wanted one of these" to just what it says about people.... like in midguard's link there's a factory with a guitar.... I can imagine the factory shutting down, and a combination of people not caring or being unsure about taking things that had gradually become communal, the guitar brought by the guy who had your job 40 years before, etc....

And I like empty places nearly as much, simply for the grace, or raw impressiveness, or sadness, of the building in question and how it's stood the test of time.

17. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Abandoned buildings leave you with a ton of stories.. they also look old and alive in their own sense of they've been there.. done that.. it's always fun to treasure hunt too.. I'm also a fan of the whole "natural reclamation"

18. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Hello friends,

For people who do follow this thread, I have very huge and great update to post!

So, I am currently travelling and exploring. Now, at last I am with friends and have Photomatix to begin upload my photographs. 2 days ago I found great abandoned church. Unfortunately, I can post only small preview at this moment, of outside the building. I already have made photographs of inside, too! But I need time to upload. I promise, good photographs soon also of inside building, I hope Thursday. ))))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small introduction to big church. )))

19. Perilless

Perilless Member

Where is this church? I particularly love the photo of the keyhole... :) Keep them coming!

20. ☉rtus ♉

☉rtus ♉ Waffle

I really want to travel to some of these ghost towns, they look amazing. Especially the ones over grown with nature again.