Without good would there be evil?

Discussion in 'Taoism' started by Indy Hippy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Yes, they have. I think a post explaining them would end up being long, self indulgent, and wholly uninteresting though.

Running Horse likes this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Oh please do tell

Running Horse likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seconded! :-D

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

It would seem an unexpected audience has formed an unforseen interest. Please do expound good sir.

Asmodean likes this.
  5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Ironically, for there to be either good or evil, we must first have faith in our own memories, dreams, awareness, and personal journey. In other words, for anyone to recognize either good or evil, they must first make a leap of faith, and they simply can't make a leap of faith without deciding for themselves whether anything is good or bad. Ours is the best of all possible worlds by default of the fact that, apparently, if it were any different, nobody would be around to ask the question.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is bennifit and there is harm. evil is merely harm that is deliberate.
    good is all that is harmless. so i don't know how you would have there to not be good.

i mean, i guess you could think you're doing the world a favor to intentionally try to harm everything.
    and there are even people who think like that, or act like they do.
    but this is only because there is something wrong with them in their heads.
    and the world doesn't need them. or at least doesn't need them to be that messed up.

everything that is messed up comes from people hating one or more of logic, consideration, honesty, and imagination.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

oh i completely disagree with most of that. there are almost infinite ways our earth or even our universe could be different and ourselves, our awarenesses, still exist. there are also of course infinate times infinite more ways in which we would not, that much is true. but the implication that there is only one way in which we could exist, is contradicted by the very diversity that is the only nature reality has.

one does not need to pretend, believe, imagine to know, anything, in order to experience pain.
    but one does need to learn how things, at least some things, work, in order to figure out how to avoid causing more pain to exist.

and it doesn't take rocket science to eventually figure out, that the more pain there is, the more likely the self to experience it.
    (though a lot of people certainly act like this is something they can't figure out, but that is more because they believe or expect to gain something, even if its only symbolic, by doing so.)

i do agree that ours is a very good world, as long as you're talking about our entire planet's biosphere.
    the 'world' of human relationships, is only as good or bad as all of us together make it, generally by how we act and treat each other.

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

If there infinite universes in which intelligent life can evolve using different physics, nobody has ever been able to prove it. So you are making your leap of faith.