Without good would there be evil?

Discussion in 'Taoism' started by Indy Hippy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

so outside of human understanding and moralizing name one thing that is inherently good and one that is inherently evil. I'm not asking for a list this time. :)

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Any creature that fulfills its nature is doing good. A creature that is unable to fulfill its nature results in an evil, or rather, that inability is an evil unto itself.

A squirrel forages and finds food and stores it away - good.

Entire species being wiped out from a large rock from space - evil. In this instance you have a natural disaster that unintelligent life cannot prepare for, and as a result can no longer fulfill their nature, which as stated earlier, would be classified as an evil. It is the manner in which these creatures would be prevented from doing good is, by definition, an evil. (A lack of a good that should be present)

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I believe your examples are of objective reality as seen subjectively by you. Value placed on them comes from human understanding--therefore =subjectively human.

4. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

And yet when this entire species being the dinosaurs was possibly wiped out from a large rock from space it had a result of giving mammals the chance to gain a slow but steady dominance on Earth. Not evil. Nature always has a reason for things happening the way they do. And yes a giant rock from space is still a part of nature. Nature doesn't work in terms of good or evil even you must acknowledge this. Nature works as doing things, regardless of moral ideals, as a means to an end. If one animal is uncapable of surviving because of an incapability to do what they need to to survive another animal will then be fed as a result of that incapability. Or to a greater extreme that creature's decendants will evolve to overcome said incapability. This process is not evil. It is simply natural.

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

The only way to understand objective reality is by human understanding; while all people come from a subjective place - their own minds and perspective - through reason one can arrive at objectivity.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Indeed, the rise of mammals was good, though this does not mean or logically imply that the preceding event - the deaths of millions of others - was not evil.
    Nature is capable of evil inasmuch as it is capable of good. Many human beings will easily admit they believe it is justifiable to commit an evil in order to obtain a future good. Nature does this automatically every day.

7. scratcho

(To post 45)Somewhat. The way I view objective reality is that which IS--not what we think what is. Yes--the only way to understand anything is thru human reasoning otherwise there would ONLY be objective reality,whether we ever existed or not. If there were never any humans--would anything else exist? Objective reality would determine that,independant of us/not us.

8. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I did not say that the rise of mammals was good my friend. I simply said it was. From death comes life from life death. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say about nature and good or evil. The reason that nature automatically does things each moment of each day to set up a future for it's charges is because it must. This has nothing to do with good or evil. These ideals don't even come into the equation.

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

To understand that which IS we must first think what it is. Gravity always was, but we did not understand the objective reality of what it until Sir Isaac Newton graced us with his brilliance. Though I agree with the rest of your sentiment quite thoroughly - objective reality will exist whether or not we humans deign to consider it.

10. willedwill

willedwill Member

If evil can be, it may exist in objects of their manufacturing. But We buy It. So the Good is presumed needed for their profit; that already is evil unless we understand something else in It for the good. The good may not exist anyway, but the evil lurked.

What I'm saying is that US knows no good for the evil it incurred. Somehow we believe in Them. They are good for great inventions like the wheel; like the computer: but objectively the them is always a delusion of the goodness of progress. They must make US bitter and violated for the Good to arise again.

11. scratcho

Good thread--gotsta pick up the little grand daughter---see you.

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I realize that, I am saying it was good.
    It has everything to do with good and evil, for all the reasons I've previously mentioned. Good and evil are qualities that exist - animals, plants, nature, all things, whether sapient or not, intentionally or not, commit actions that can be qualified in this fashion. You continue to think of good and evil as strictly things which can only exist if a sapient being is culpable for them, and/or able to judge them. I would say you fail to grasp what good and evil actually are - particularly the difference between moral evil and natural evil.

13. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Cya scratcho. Good talking to ya.

To ALL: Sorry, double post up there. My bad.

14. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I don't quite agree with you on what you think I fail to grasp. I think that you look more at the world from a humanistic view which would mean that you categorize things based completly on human understanding whereas I look more at reality from a universal view. What happens happens because it must not because it can. To me the concepts of good and evil have no logical place in the natural order of things.

15. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

On that note I think we've basically agreed to disagree. A fine discussion Indy, thoroughly enjoyable.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If we are to assume that there are such things as good and evil which exist beyond the scope of human existence, in other words, if good and evil exist as real and would still exist as real without human beings; then we must conclude that good and evil must exist in some place that does not need or involve the human mind or body. Good and evil exist on their own with no need of human minds or bodies.

If this is so, how would we experience good or evil? We can't use our bodies to experience G&E, as good and evil exist outside of our bodies and have no contact with the body. If they had contact with some part of the body (one or more of the senses) they would depend on the body for recognition. We would be using some part of our body to recognize G&E. Using some part of our body, we could not recognize G&E without that part, and we would not know that G&E existed. The question becomes mote as we can never know G&E even if it does exist (which we can't know).

The same holds true for the mind. If G&E are separate from our mind, we cannot know them. The concept of G&E must enter our mind in some form, without the concept of G&E the mind cannot know good and evil. So where does the concept arise? If it arises from culture, then each culture has its own form of the concept of G&E. If it is "hardwired" into the brain, then we are back to using a part of the body to recognize G&E.

If we hold that G&E is not a concept, but exists "out there" on its own, that it has its own reality independent of human beings, we still must interact with it to experience it. If we do not use the human body or mind to interact we cannot experience it even if it is real, and we have no way of knowing anything about it.

If we do use the human body or mind to interact with a real G&E "out there", then we must concede that the limits of the human body and mind are such that we can never be sure if we are experiencing the "real" nature of G&E or not. As we have seen throughout human history mankind has continuously argued, fought, and killed over what is right and what is wrong. This alone should be enough to tell us that:

1. there is no such thing as absolute right or wrong
    or
    2. absolute right and wrong, even if they exist, are unknowable.

I believe in #1, but it doesn't matter as it all comes out in the laundry.

17. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Very impressive reasoning Meagain. I'm not 100% sure if you were vouching for or against the existance of good and evil. It sounded like an argument against or at least against human idealogies of good and evil but either way it was quite impressive. Thank you for your input

18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Indy,

I believe that there is no such thing as good and evil, therefore there is no question of what would happen to the other if the first did not exist.

Good and evil are only concepts that exist in the human mind and are formed by human culture.

Even if G&E do exist independently, there is no way to experience them without the use of the body and or mind.

In any case:
    The mind and the body do not, and can not, reliably interpret any form of reality, so why would they be able to find or interpret ultimate good and evil?

As an example, I was helping my father navigate the internet, via telephone, the other day (we were on the phone and I was coaching him). He was having trouble going from one site to another. I told him to click on the blue words, as the blue words are generally hyperlinks. He told me that that doesn't work on his computer, and grew very frustrated. Then it dawned on me, I had forgotten that he is colorblind and couldn't see the blue words!
    His eyesight is faulty and does not reflect true reality.

How can we truly know anything about reality and be sure that our knowledge is reliable?

19. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

The scale from which we measure good and evil does not have the benefit of a reliable metric, i.e. it does not exist in reality but only in the imagination. It is always a sliding scale of light and dark depending on disposition and circumstance.

The reason that good and evil do not achieve balance is that they are a product of a split mind which always weighs heavy in the moment. The perception of good and evil represents a picture of a mind at war with itself and yet the prospective combatants never actually meet but are always entertained separately, that is they never shake hands.

20. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

There is something we can say of reality, a measure by which we can compare our projections.

Reality is non-local, nor is it remote.

We may know things but something is not everything. We may know but there is always more to learn.