i am proud to be a feminist. why are you feminist?

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by junegloom, Sep 26, 2011.

1. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

A woman gets fantastic service, and feminists can't stand that. I don't get why it is so offending. I'm completely flattered and grateful for it. Maybe the offended think it should all be based on intelligence and personality and not have beauty play into it. Or maybe they just don't have beauty. All I know is that if good service and jobs come easier because of beauty, and internally I know I have the intelligence and/or personality to do deserve something, then I have nothing to prove.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

One thing that obviously stinks is the lower pay for women in offices and business and such. I have no urge to call myself a feminist but yes, the world seems not finished with emancipation at all. I agree it's a narrow line sometimes where a feminist is nitpicking or not but this seems a righteous issue to me.

3. Desos

Desos Senior Member

everybody's had to fight to be free. :)

i'm a male and people are still prejudice against me.

4. stash napt

stash napt Member

Fuck Feminism and fuck male-ism. If your one or the other then your self ignorant and living life through your ego.

5. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

To me, that's what feminism is about. Treating people fairly. You and they should be treated fairly.

6. roamy

roamy Senior Member

feminist always ment ta me people who feel the need ta prove their equal.instead of just knowing they are. and talkin' a lot about it,equal rights an all that in bars, then kinda changin' their minds again, when it was there turn ta buy a guy a drink back.

7. Rosehippy

Rosehippy Banned

The role of the man has become blurred. Men are suffering as a result of "feminism". At the end of the day we are not equal. Men are stronger, therefore they should do the heavier work. Women have babies and bond more than men, therefore women should stay home with the baby and not have it raised by the system. If you want equality ladies, there are plenty of concreting jobs available. ....go get em!

8. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

Question: are men more valuable than women?

Answer: no, they're equal.

I'm confused as to why so many disagree.

9. Rosehippy

Rosehippy Banned

I don't think it's as simple as that. Of course we are equal in value. Does value change the oil in the car? If we sat in a room and never moved, yes, we are equal. That's not life. Take it back to survival. Women go hunt a mammoth while the men stay and sew?? It gets down to practicality. Maybe we could argue roles best suited based on neural connections in the brain. An area where we are not equal.

10. Desos

Desos Senior Member

it's proven that lifting heavy weights can damage the female reproductive organs as well as increase the chances of a miscarraige.

http://occmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/56/8/521.full

11. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

What does it have to do with the whole thing?
    Of course both of sexes are valuable, it doesn't mean though, that each of them has to do same things.

12. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

So he was abusing you...5 yrs before you were born? :confused:

13. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

As for woman allegedly making less money for the same job. Maybe they have the same title, but it doesn't mean they do the job equally well. In business, men bring a different set of talents then women do. In certain settings, that could explain the discrepancy in pay.

14. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I guess you missed the part where she was also abused by two cousins. (it was in the same sentence) I assume they took up when the grandfather died. ?

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Women also take a lot of time off to have babies. It's our choice to do so if that's where our priorities lie, but men in the workplace are getting ahead of us while we are not there. We can't blame employers for the fact that we can't be in two places at the same time.

If you look at stats for men and women who have the same number of continuous years on the same job, the pay difference is next to nothing.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Lilly Letbetter worked as a manager for a company for 20 years along with men managers and found out she was paid less than her counterparts for the whole duration.Took her case to court which eventually ended up at the right-wing heavy supreme court,lost her case for back pay(that she deserved,IMO). Ask yourselves why this would happen over and over again everywhere. If a person works in a particular catagory with a set pay schedule for that catagory, whether clam or stick--where's the reason and/or motive for this? Fair way to treat women? Don't think so.

17. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

No, you edited the quote. look at what I quoted. look at the original post.

She wrote
    "...also I was sexually abused for around 10 yrs by my grampa (he died when I was 5 tho)..."

I missed nothing.

Whatever...

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm not saying it didn't happen to her, but if in general, equally qualified women were willing to do the exact same work for less pay, then supervisors and business owners all over America would be trying to fill every job opening with a woman, and lots of men would be filing sexual discrimination lawsuits. Why would any company want to pay more than they had to, to get a job done?

I've been supervising other people for my entire working career, and I never saw any reason to hire or promote anyone other than the most qualified person who would work for the lowest pay. Doing that always made me look good to my boss, and maximized profit.

This is one area where I think the average business does the right thing, at least most of the time. There are plenty of problems and inequalities in the business world, but this isn't one of them.

If you think your employer may not be paying you what you're worth in the job market, apply to some other companies. You haven't signed a lifetime contract with anybody.

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"willing to do the same work for less pay". She wasn't willing to do her job for less pay,she was paid less because she didn't know she was being paid less for doing the exact same job and because they could get away with it. There's a differance. Over the decades ,for example, when unions tried to better their circumstances by striking ,there were always SCABS willing to do the union jobs for less pay. That's also why sometimes workers,even with many years of employment on a job and have earned their raises and/or promotions, are summarily laid off in favor of new low paid workers. I worked in the Ford plant many years ago and there were plenty of women around me doing their jobs and getting the same pay as I was. That's as it should have been.
    By the by,Karen,are there other people in your organization with the same job as you?

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I don't know a lot of details about her situation. Was she hourly, or on salary?

I've never dealt with anything like that. There never has been much union activity in this state.

No, I'm currently a small business owner, so I get whatever money is left after everybody else gets paid, if there is any left. :)

I've had several different jobs over the years, but never one where a lot of other people did the exact same thing.