#201 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,512 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 AM

You know his succesor? Please enlighten me :P

It's the same for Russia as for a country like Turkey: as long as the people trust their government mainly because of the 'strong leader' it is a great reality check to see past that leader. Seems to me supporters of Putin and Erdogan just hope those leaders can live eternally :P Quite hopeless.
Such faulty leaders should die soon (by unmistakenly natural causes, don't get me wrong here!), so the whole country can move on. Yeps, that's what I hope for. I too understand of course that the next leader(s) can be even worse but no its not a given.

He's greater.

Tsar>Sultan

Nope, that's just how east europeans (like to) perceive it

Posted Image

#202 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,475 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

You know his succesor? Please enlighten me :P

It's the same for Russia as for a country like Turkey: as long as the people trust their government mainly because of the 'strong leader' it is a great reality check to see past that leader. Seems to me supporters of Putin and Erdogan just hope those leaders can live eternally :P Quite hopeless.
Such faulty leaders should die soon (by unmistakenly natural causes, don't get me wrong here!), so the whole country can move on. Yeps, that's what I hope for. I too understand of course that the next leader(s) can be even worse but no its not a given.

Nope, that's just how east europeans (like to) perceive it

Probably Putin will be there for some time to come. I agree with your point about strong leaders, and really what amounts to a cult of personality. The Russians had it before under Stalin. The Turks too under Ataturk, although he was probably more progressive in his day than Erdogan. Both previously had dynasties that ensured their own succession. But a dictator? Hard for a dictator to groom a successor, as they will then be constantly looking over their shoulder to see if he's decided the time has come......

With Putin though, I think you may be right and it's only when he's dead and gone that a new leader can emerge. Political opposition in Russia seems to get rapidly crushed.

Both Turk and Russian have posed a threat to Eastern Europe in the past.