Which WW2 battle was more instrumental in defeating Germany?

Discussion in 'History' started by Laguna, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Laguna

Laguna Guest

Which battle during World War II do you believe was more instrumental in defeating Nazi Germany, D-Day or Operation Barbarossa? I'm an American and I'm hesitant to say that either side was more instrumental. On one side the Americans liberated France and on the other side the Soviets pushed back the Germans. Arguably, the Soviets reached Berlin first, but if it wasn't for the American-led invasion in Western Europe, the Germans could have focused all of their attention on the Soviet Union and possibly launched a successful counter-offensive. But without Operation Barbarossa, the Soviet Union would have been severely weakened, and possibly even defeated. Which battle do you think was more instrumental in defeating Nazi Germany?

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I'm an American as well, and even had a great uncle at Normandy, but I have to say Barbarossa.

3. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

stalingrad

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Once Hitler broke the nonaggression pact with the Soviet Union he sealed his fate [​IMG]

Hotwater

5. Colin4May

Colin4May Guest

Operation Barbarossa was more a campaign than a battle... and to begin with it went well. If japan had attacked Russia rather than the US, then all the Siberian divisions couldn't have been diverted to resist the battle for Moscow, and things may have been different. The exact battle where the tide began to turn is usually reckoned to be Stalingrad in 1941/2, but I think the seeds of defeat were sown long before that.

Just my view.. I read a lot!!

6. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

kursk was also important in decimating lots of german tanks

there is one of the greatest war movies ever on that
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAaBvFsQfE

7. oiseaulys

oiseaulys Member

Je pense que l'échec des armées allemandes devant Stalingrad a été décisif. En ce qui concerne le Débarquement (D-Day), les alliés ont tués plus de civils français que de soldats allemands !

8. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

je pense aussi que Stalingrad etait l`echec decisif. Je savais pas que les allies ont tue autant de francais, on en parle pas beaucoup...

9. oiseaulys

oiseaulys Member

Non, on n'en parle pas beaucoup. Il existe quelques livres en France, par exemple :"La France Sous Les Bombes Américaines" de Jean-Claude Valla.
    Quand on voit la violence de l'armée américaine envers la population irakienne qu'elle était venue pourtant libérer, on imagine ce que cela a pu être en France, à une époque où les concepts de "frappe chirurgicale" et de "dommages collatéraux" n'existaient pas. Certains paysans normands furent tellement excédés par les crimes des soldats américains qu'ils s'organisèrent en milices armées...

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

It's interesting, but not at all surprising to read this. Arm, militarily brain fuck, and send what amount to mostly grown boys to a foreign land and brainwash them into believing that the indigenous people are worshiping them as saviors and you're going to get more than a few self-entitled hoodlums who are not going to harbor much respect for the citizens of the land they are invading.

I suppose some might have seen the bodies littering the beaches on D-day as more potential crimes stopped in their tracks. I'm not familiar enough with any specific battles but from what I've seen it was as much the fact that Germany was fighting on too many fronts that turned the tide as it was any particular battle or campaign.

If I remember correctly, the D-day invasion was supposedly preceded by false information planted with German intelligence that the invasion was to happen at another area (Pas de Calais?) but clearly Hitler's military was not completely fooled.

11. oiseaulys

oiseaulys Member

Merci Skinfoot pour la traduction qui est parfaite ! Je pars à l'instant en vacances dans un endroit reculé de France sans accès internet et je ne rentre que dans trois semaines. Je donnerai alors toutes mes sources et références sur le comportement des forces alliés envers les populations civiles lors de la libération de la France. A bientôt. Bisous à tous !

12. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

Je me rejouis de voir ca. Bonnes vacances:)

13. too_many_summers

too_many_summers Member

D-Day fer sure

14. pineapple08

pineapple08 Members

The Soviets destroyed over 500 hundred German divisions in the overall campaign. So much for the door fulling in.

15. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

who cares. the dickheads were defeated.

16. pineapple08

pineapple08 Members

17. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

You are wrong I know germans who are no dickheads

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

19. The Imaginary Being

that's wonderful. i'm talking about the nazi's.

20. The Imaginary Being

try not to.