What exactly is God?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by Nirakar, Jun 18, 2011.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

Jack White..

2. What is God but alive? To me, God is just that undying light. And that's all the power that really matters, to stay alive, be alive. To me, if there is something special about life, that's the equivalent of God, then. And life doesn't seem normal to me, so I tend to believe.

The thing is, there's always that room for some invisible factor. It will always be possible that things exist that we can't see, so I don't see how the question can really be furthered. No matter what we do, it's always going to be there.

3. Indn_hippie

Indn_hippie Member

God is a loving intelligent , blissful subatomic particle that permeates everything thru space and time. This supreme light is , in fact, us but we can't understand this via our mind. Only when we completely drop the mind and let our petty consciousness transcend and merge into the supreme 'I AM' presence can one EXPERIENCE "god".

One is in fact God, but we have lost that sense due to many different things. Be silent and know that I AM God. See God as energy flowing thru EVERYTHING & EVERYONE.

4. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Collective conscious

5. Madesh

Madesh Member

I believe God is spiritual, situated beyond material qualities and material duality. I believe in the concept of Brahman as the Upanishads describe as "the eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, spiritual source of the universe of finiteness and change."
    There are a few variations on this belief, however I view Brahman as impersonal, known through the many gods and goddesses that are manifestations of Brahman.

I hope that makes sense.

Madesh

6. Indn_hippie

Indn_hippie Member

A lie to control the masses

7. Indn_hippie

Indn_hippie Member

i said this during momentary lapse in faith and feel bad. More importantly , what isn't God? its everything.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The "exactly" part is a problem, since at least the Abrahamic religions have the idea that God is ineffable, and any attempt to pin Him down is idolatrous. Since this is a Hindu site, I think "Sat Cit Ananda" is a good starting point. Sat=Ground of Being; Cit=consciousness; ananda=bliss. As a Christian, I think of God as the felt presence of a Great Mystery "in whom we live and move and have our being."

9. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

It cannot be explained in words alone. This whole universe is an attempt to express that godliness.

10. Self_Knower

Self_Knower Guest

Namaste Madesh,

Just want to clarify one thing. The Upanishads don't describe Brahman. Brahman is "neti neti" meaning "not this, not this". Brahman is undefined, and never described.
    Note that when we say Brahman is infinite, we are negating that Brahman is not finite. We are not describing Brahman, as Brahman can never described. Any descriptions means that the described person/object is finite, the dualities are the things that limit objects, since each duality limits the other. And Brahman cannot be objectionable, since that would mean that Brahman is limited and finite.
    And please note that "omnipresence" is a very very big misconception in all websites. You should read the original scriptures to understand the meaning of this. Brahman is "all pervading" not in the context of being omnipresent, since the material world is an illusion, limited. All pervading means Brahman pervades all, Brahman is ALL. All we see are different forms and names (nama-rupa) but the inner-transcendent essence of ALL is Brahman.

11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

this is pointy . exactly not this , not this . exactly may
    mean this is the end of my knowing and the question
    has been answered exactly to the end of yours . t
    rest your eyes , evening has come .

12. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Great post self-knower. 3 posts in and already hitting the nail 100% on the head.

13. Self_Knower

Self_Knower Guest

I didn't understand your post fully. Although Advaita Vedanta literally means the end of knowledge of non dualism. But Advaita states that knowledge is not the goal of Advaita, the goal is only to realize yourself as the Absolute-Brahman.
    More knowledge leads to more ignorance, since everything in this world is an illusion, and more knowledge leads to more curiosity, which leads to further knowledge, etc.... Since everyone wants to be happy, but no one can achieve full happiness, every time you get the feeling you want more and more, so Advaita says that this happiness that humans all strive for, has always been present in them, you must see everything as one. A state where you are without your finite thoughts which cause you to see the world as dualities.

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

you should not want to know .

anyway , i was only casually messing with the idea exactness .
    the sound t has a meaning for me . it points . to what? ... this
    is an understanding of context and focus .. in context of a question -
    when the answer is simply t - this relates the aspect of Oneness and
    Exactly So .

it implies the present Oneness of the seeker's understanding is adequate .

who answered the question ? it doesn't matter .

15. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

It is impossible to describe God.

Putting God into words, puts him/her into a box.

God cannot be boxed, that defies what it could be.

God is everything, which includes nothing.

God is infinity... but also outside infinity.

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

God is the metaphysical One. And by one I mean zero. And by zero I mean nothing. And by nothing I mean all. And by all I mean I already said too much.

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

God is a figment of man's imagination.

18. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Hey simpleton, we are not talking about a personal god.

19. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

No - we are a figment of his/hers.

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Then I wish he would imagine me with a naked young lady right now.