What exactly is God?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by Nirakar, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Nirakar

Nirakar Guest

A question without any rigid answer. A question that has been prevailed in our world for millions of years. Those who knew (i.e. Lord Buddha, Lord Jesus, Guru Nanak, Bhagwan Osho Rajneesh etc) were few or let's say handful people with the comparison to the population of people ever crawled in the face of the earth. Despite they knew God but they weren't able to describe him to us. One effective word from Osho Rajneesh has always inspired me, he once said "No man can describe GOD, because god himself is changing every second as we describe him(he is getting bigger and bigger from the biggest), our words become old by the time they drop from our mouth, so this is why god cannot be described but it's only a feeling that you feel and get lost in it forever. God is not a mystery, we are closest to him then from our very heart beat, we are closest to him from our very breath but still we don't know him, Yet".
    So please everyone Always take your life as an opportunity not as destiny, because destiny is God and opportunity is the search, never stop searching for him.....Start From Love and End with Love...., life is nothing more than a spec of dust and doesn't even have any warranty or guarantee of some kind for when it ends for a new beginning.
    Finally we can conclude with, "Don't ask questions about god just try to witness him because there is no answer"

GrampaLove likes this.
  2. raven~song

raven~song Member

Wise words brother!
    God is indeed hard, if not impossible, to describe! You can't easily point to something such as a sight or a smell and say "oh ya that's God over there!" Because you're right there is no answer, since an 'answer' implies an intellectual understanding and God can't be understood intellectually. Only through soul intuition, or witnessing him, can God be understood.

But if we had to put several insufficient words together to describe Him I'd say He is the omnipresent, omnipotent, ever-changing and infinitely loving creative consciousness from which all things come from and all things end in.

3. Nirakar

Nirakar Guest

Thank you Brother! for your reply...yes what you said is absolutely correct and i appreciate it. We all are running to find a satisfaction within ourselves, take for example; i need a luxurious car and i try all my best to buy it, i find myself being very dedicated towards what i am doing to get it and when i mange to get the car i will suddenly feel so satisfied that at some point of time i might forget about the car itself and only the feeling of satisfaction remains and everything that was inside me is gone empty leaving only satisfaction but nothing else, so at this point of time we are at the maximum satisfaction level where nothing can and will come between us, Yes that point of time is also like feeling God within yourself and to remain in that level of satisfaction forever is like knowing god. But the truth is that we cannot stay in that moment forever and later that same car starts to cause lots of troubles starting miseries and garbage to fill in our heart which pushes us away from god!!! But there is no ultimate word or phrase or experience that can ever describe god! That's why we are always told to Love others and love oneself to fall in Love with the god!! Because love is the only our medium towards God! God Bless All!! There may always be peace within everyone....

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Ones "God", for me, is a symbol of faith which the individual relates to the in times of need, desparation and praise -
    Witchever one it is that on e chooses
    May 'your' I God go with you :)

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Better the beake a fine biscuit than sit about sloppily contemplating some Deity.

Here is something you cannot disprove, under any circustances,:
    No worship of anything prevents: sickness, pain, ageing, or death.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like contemplating about God, this has not necessarily to do with any kind of worship at all.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Well actually God can be placed, if not understood.

The rishis or seers of the Veda placed Gods and Goddesses in the spaces between things. So for instance in a Vedic hymn there is the rishi, devata, and chandas. These terms translated are the seer, the deity, and the meter. The Veda are the hymns of existance which move things.

If not for the Veda then things would be inert, without intelligence, and dead. They would resemble a skin upon a corpse without any life. The life is also termed sentience, and the deities are the impulses of sentience which when perpetuated increase intelligence and sentience, and when which ignored produce inertia, and insentience.

Thus there is the person - the process of observation - and the object of knowledge. These three are one in samadhi which is when the awareness is aware through awareness. In that state no deity even exists. As the various sages have said, that state of existance has no change, no quality, no quantity.

However, as soon as those three are no longer in the state of union or yoga then the awareness is now filled with the various means of experiencing objects and the objects are now of all variety.

At that point one will find within - in ones modes of apprehension - mind, heart, senses, organs, all the Gods and Goddesses residing as the intelligence that is like the spark in the sparkplug in the engine.

Thus the deities exist in the gap between knower and known.

Ajay0 and stormountainman like this.
  8. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

So thus it's like Goddess is there in the song! Where are the Rolling Stones? They are in the music. Sure some people are fans and live to have the Rolling Stone's Babies. But the real Rolling Stones are in their music. Cabische?

9. roamy

roamy Senior Member

a fictional character in a fictional book.

10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

A belief in transience eases the unpleasant intensity of any of those. God is that which is invoked.

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

God is wherever you find her...

12. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

YOU are God!

So am I.

GrampaLove likes this.
  13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When language developed replacing "signing" by our primitive ancestors ,objects needed to be defined and given identifying names/symbols to fascillitate proper communication. Eventually when objects were identified and commonly accepted, a people-(the Persians), created written symbols,so languages/symbols that were only spoken could now become commonly understood by learning and perusing the symbols. The speakers and/or writers of the developing english language choose three of these symbols-g,o and d to represent the ineffable. At least in the modern sense. Others have their own symbols.
    I assume that before the advent of language, events in their natural surroundings ,such as lightening,floods,fires,death and other catastrophies,our ancestors developed a type of worship thru fear of the unknown. Hmmmm. Sounds familiar.

That's my take on it. Don't know if there's an actual god or not,but something REAL BIG surely started "everything".

14. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I agree with your assessment that the word god has at it's root some experiential conjugation. So it is not really meaningful to say there is no god. The word god always represents some aspect of human experience, a conceptual/emotional interface. This remains true whether you conceive god in the negative, positive, or with ambivalence.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've never said that I believe there is or isn't a g-o-d. A creation requires "something" to have created what we consider existance.(or anything else) I've just never been able to accept too much passed down to humans by humans. I get to feeling pretty pessimistic about it all with what has gone on and continues to go on around the world.

Reporter asks--"how do you think you survived the tornado"? Survivor-God was with us.
    Where was a god for the families that were swept away and killed? Nobody ever seems to damn a god for losing their loved ones. It just doen't seem to make any sense to me. Maybe I'm just too simple minded to see what it all means. Guess I'll find out later--or not.

16. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

My parents,who are both now dead,had an Indian Guru called Miraji.Through this connection I learned some pretty far out meditation techniques and many years ago I had two out of body experiences and I believe I actually awakened Kundalini on two occasions.Well I was meditating and my mind just exploded with massive intense white light and all up my spine.After these experiences I backed off meditation because I was a bit freaked out.Were these experiences just a natural function of the mind - something that usually remains dormant.Or was I really getting in touch with some kind of cosmic energy? Can I say this how God manifests to us - like a divine spark? Another meditation practise for me was to awake my pineal gland and through this I would experience absolute bliss,an involuntary smile,timelessness and a sense of floating through the universe.Can I say this is the closest I have come to experiencing God?.Sometimes I think God just exists in the beauty of nature,like watching waves crash onto a beach and all of that kind of thing.The thing is God cannot look after everyone all the time,because the World needed chaos in order to evolve.That's why there isn't a perfect World - a static World would be stagnant.The World can be a dangerous place because it needs dynamism and energy to exist.

17. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

I have a thousand brilliant lies
    For the question:

How are you?

I have a thousand brilliant lies
    For the question:

What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known
    From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass through that tiny opening Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!
    Someone should start wildly Laughing, Now.

by: Hafiz

GrampaLove likes this.
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Paraphrasing a definition I read somewhere, "God is what does not change."

19. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Originally posted by Meagain...

"Paraphrasing a definition I read somewhere, "God is what does not change."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear,

Does it clearly imply that God is formless energy when it is considered Nirakar ? Only energy is eternal. For us out of compassion or by the power of our bhakti it transforms into sakar form. Is that why it is often said that we are also god in the form of that energy and our sakar form only perishes with our death ? We never die and perish.

Love,

Kumar.

20. RakhiGifts

RakhiGifts Banned

What exactly is God? its a very difficult question for me but according to me my parents are my God.