Im searching for a book to read.. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Peace at mind., Jun 11, 2011.

1. Peace at mind.

Peace at mind. Member

Hello everyone :)
    Ive finished all my books and im pretty keen to keep reading on before i loose my interest. Im 16 so nothing too complex.
    Im pretty interested in books based on true stories or something close to reality rather than harry potter or something. sorry this isnt the greatest description. Some books that ive read:

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (absolutely loved this book, by far my favourite)
    Ive read a book called Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    and kiddy books like Tomorrow when the war began (Series) by John Marsden, The power of five (series) that was more fantasy though.
    I dont know what im looking for hey just shoot some books at me that you recommend.
    Thanks in advance.
    Peace! :)

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

I'd recommend The Lincoln Lawyer PAM by Michael Connelly.
    The film with Matthew McConaghey is based on the book.

Also recommend any books by Raymond E. Feist if you like the Fantasy genre - Magician in particular.

3. juniehyatt

juniehyatt Guest

When I was your age I read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck and The Good Earth By Pearl S. Buck, both very good and realistic books but both a bit heavy. To Kill a Mockingbird is another good one. Most of James Pattersons books are realistic and fun to read. They are mostly crime dramas. For mysteries Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton are great. I personally love Dean Koontz he is my absolute favorite,but his books usually involve some pretty out there stuff. If your going to check him out I highly recommend his book Strange Highways. It is a collection of short stories that give a pretty good feel for his style and range. I have not read Shantaram so I cant recommend similar books,but these are some of my favorites. Good Luck and Happy Reading!

4. Emelina

Emelina Member

Like I described in another thread, I would go for "Freedom from Conscience -- Melanie's Journey." Not that many books have as complex interplay between two teenage female characters. If you like fiction that borders on fact, and like a strong female lead character then I would recommend it.

5. rmays

rmays Member

Ender's Game, or any other book in the Ender's saga or Enders Shadow trilogy

:)

6. rmays

rmays Member

Also, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

7. nannymiss

nannymiss Banned

Try Gravity's Rainbow or V by Pynchon

With what you have read so far, sounds like you'd be interested in "the stranger" by albert camus, "the trial" and "the metamorphosis" by franz kafka and mostly anything by vonnegut, jr. Not to mention william burroughs.

if you're in to poetry try walt whitman, william blake and gary snyder.

8. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Song of Ice and Fire, The Dresden Files, The Way of Kings

1 person likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Goosebumps

1 person likes this.
  10. Natalia888

Natalia888 Member

Maybe U would like to try some of a Polich literature? I suggest 'Narrenturm' or 'The Witcher' by Sapkowski.

11. vinster

vinster penis wrinkle

You said you want nothing complex, so i cannot suggest you read Lord Of the Rings, but IMO it is one of the best works of fiction ever made.

Reading the works of George Orwell, Kurt Vonnegut, and Franz Kafka aren't that complex (well yeah they kinda are, they simply tend to be shorter).

12. Blue-Moon*

Blue-Moon* Member

i'm currently reading Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom. Pretty good story that's nothing like the movie. some language problems, but it's an amazing story.
    you should give it a try if you like.
    and yes, it came before the movie.
    :peace:

13. Miluiel

Miluiel Guest

The Hobbit - though you might appreciate it more if you like fantasy

To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Ken Kesey

The Catcher in the Rye- J D Salinger

1984- George Orwell

The Da Vinci Code -Dan Brown

The Beach- Alex Garland

His Dark Materials- Philip Pullman

14. gradrix

gradrix Guest

The Illuminati Kid Can Save You - drugs and spirituality and conspiracy and madness.

Ask The Dust - awesome reality, well worth a try

All the best dude

15. Kid at Heart

Kid at Heart Guest

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott has been a favorite of mine since my teenage years.

16. hairypussylover

hairypussylover Member

I would suggest The Last Toke by A.J Causeway, disgusting but brilliant book about two stoners with loads of Illustrations.

17. Millerj

Millerj Members

Hey :) I have read a book recently The Journey of Rosalie by Audrey Glanville. I highly recommend it since the Christmas holidays are approaching and there will be plenty of time to read books.

18. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Check out Publisher's Weekly reviews.

I've found PW to have a keen eye for the written word and never tries to oversell particular books.

Kind of hard to answer your question without knowing what books you've liked previously.

Have you tried Bill Bryson? Or some classics like Dickens or Joyce Carol Oates?

George Bernard Shaw is a master! But it takes some 'work' to really get inside his books.

Well worth the effort if you ask me.

And what teenager doesn't like The Picture of Dorian Gray?

19. JayK

JayK Members

I also read "The Good Earth". If you read Lolita, you must be fairly skilled. I want to read that soon, even though I know it's a rather strange and controversial book. There is another interesting book called The Great Gatsby.