Help with biz idea

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by drrazzu, Jun 6, 2011.

1. drrazzu

drrazzu Member

I am hunting for a way to make a little money. I would like to another $500 extra a month would be great but anything would be helpful. I have a garage, a nice shed, very shaded backyard and fruit trees to use for a small business. I would like to grow something (legal) that I can sell at local markets. Some of the ideas are mushrooms, herbs, and things to grow that don't take a lot of room. I am also thinking about making pickles, jams, or something simple. My wife is trying gourmet dog treats and spa products. The treats work better than the soaps, salts, and other concoctions. I do grow fruit but give it to the food bank.
    Back in the day I made candles and macrame. I don't care to do that again. I don't have the patience for macrame any longer. The candles are a possibility.
    Any ideas would be helpful, Thank You, Dr Razzu

8 people like this.
  2. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Everthing sells on Etsy.

3 people like this.
  3. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I know you said you want to grow something legal, but if you put a dozen cannabis plants in that shed if yours, you'll be able to make your $500/month and then some.

on a more legal note, i've recently started handing out flyers and advertising on kijiji for 'sustainable lawncare'. i picked up one of those push-powered mowers, and people are willing to pay a premium for having their lawn cut in an eco-friendly manner. just a thought!

1 person likes this.
  4. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

im thinking of growing massive amounts of tobacco and selling it sometime mabey soon.

5. drrazzu

drrazzu Member

I did the weed growing for years but I don't want to lose what I got and here you can go away for years. It ain't worth the effort.
    If I was going to dabble on the edge of the law I would produce mescaline and 'silly' mushrooms.

I know there must be eddible and medicinal mushrooms I can grow where I won't end up a girlfriend of Bubba.

6. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Making stuff from that fruit will surely be a money maker. Anything fruit always sells fast at farmers market. But Farmers Market season is only a few months. Fruit candles and preserves would sell year around.

7. drrazzu

drrazzu Member

I think the fruit products would be the way to go but there is a problem. I usually give my abundance to the local food bank. I would hate to stop that but I may have to stop.

I am thinking about make walking sticks and canes from driftwood. With us old farts aging there will be a need. I used to make a stick call a gris gris stick that had a couple of voodoo carvings, an alligator claw, feathers, and bone hanging for the handle. It sold pretty good. I did my carving with a pencil grinder. The time for each one was about a week with carving and finishing. I could cut some corners but didn't to keep up quality. I sold them at the time for fifty bucks or 1/2 a pound. May look into it again.

8. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Cool idea on the walking sticks. Drift wood is plentiful around here with all the flooding. Do you treat the wood after they're finished?

9. drrazzu

drrazzu Member

I usually clean them, carve them, and then finish with penatrol.

I am thinking about getting into growing San Pedro and kratom and maybe a few other things and sell the cuttings, plants, or seeds. That seems to be on the edge of legality for now.

10. bowbrks99

bowbrks99 Guest

I have written about home business ideas ;) I would suggest maybe also offering *'storage' space for rent* in your garage or shed for small-medium sized items. Temporary or long term :) First step, get a business plan so you can find out if whatever idea you choose - will be profitable. :) good luck!

11. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I think maybe you could sell potted plants and flowers, maybe even bouquets and mulch. Like a wal mart garden center, only not so wal mart-y

6 people like this.
  12. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

prostitution?

2 people like this.
  13. MissCyanide

MissCyanide Member

Jams are a good money maker, they do well at markets over here. Organic food/bath products will be ideal for when you're tryna expand your market, you wanna sell a range of things that way you can see what works and what doesn't and then develop your business from there

14. slaveofthesystem

slaveofthesystem Members

Earthworms is a big business in some areas and fairly cheap to start

15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Starting a business is often a tough way to make money, unless you really are enthusiastic about starting one.

If you are in the US, you could try contacting the SBA or SCORE.

In principle if you can more pay for extra hours at your current job, that might be an easy way to make more money. Maybe you could also try picking up a weekend job.

Maybe you'd like to try driving for a rideshare company.