Traveling noob, in need of you!

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by PhyreTrukk, May 6, 2011.

1. PhyreTrukk

PhyreTrukk Member

As many of you, it's my dream to travel. I want to meet new people, new enviroments and new cultures. I'm still young, 18, and just starting my life, but I want to spend it in a way that I will not regret. Adventure and learning, can't go wrong!
    I've come here for probably obvious reasons... and that's asking for advice. Any tip, you have, throw at me, I need it!

What are things that you've learned from traveling that could help me, and other travelers out? Any websites that give good advice? Websites that list off places to stay? Places to work for a while to make extra cash to move on to your next location? Websites to help you get from one place to the next? Threads that helped you out.. Anything! Need as much knowledge about traveling as I can get. Wouldn't want to travel without any ideas of what I'm doing!

Thank you.:2thumbsup:

2. BeamKatana420

BeamKatana420 Guest

I want to travel too! :)

3. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

From a different thread, but useful for you.

Also, something else I am sure I posted but can't find right now.

Set up an account at a place like http://picasa.google.com/ and https://www.youtube.com/

Make sure one of the phones you get has a camera on it...

Don't just use it to take pictures of cool stuff, but if you want to keep notes or whatever, you can always take a picture of a notes. Pictures of people you meet (with their permission of course).

Whenever you get somewhere with bluetooth and internet, upload pics and videos.

At picasa you can make certain albums private except to specific people, in which you can upload pics and info meant to keep you safe.

Beyond the whole issue of personal security, it gives you a photo and video record of your travels.

I've been across thousands upon thousands of miles, and I'm lucky if I remember 10 of them... lol

4. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  5. tiger lily

tiger lily Member

The pre-paid phone is definitely a good idea :2thumbsup:

6. The Earth

The Earth Om Tare Tutare Ture Svaha

Wwoof is cool too, but they dont pay you, if you save enough money for ticket you can work on an organic farm anywhere in the world.. My best advice especially if youre lving with mom, get a full time job, save for a year, and take a kick ass vacation to Europe for a month or more.. youll have a kickass time!!

7. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Save for a year to have a one month trip? Haha..
    I always recommend Asia to people who want to travel. Anyone can easily get a job teaching English, or in a bar some places, or if you want to save up first, it's very cheap. You should be able to save up enough in a year to spend a year or two here.

The best way to learn about traveling is to do it. Keep your wits about you, avoid assumptions, and, especially if you go to countries with a lot of tourism, haggle.

8. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have travelled a fair amount, and one thing I would recommend is doing it in a variety of different ways. I have done the hotel thing, back packing thing, staying with friends and living over seas long term. You get a real variety of experiences this way.
    More advice -
    1. Try and learn at least hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me and I'm sorry in the language of each country you visit. People will like you more, and be more inclined to help you. A little effort goes a long way.
    2. Read up on scams running in the countries and cities you visit - esp in places like China! Lonely Planet is good for this, or just check online forums. Don't be caught out!
    3. Get a money belt and keep your passport, travel documents and some cash on you at ALL times. Keep your cash in different places, so you aren't totally screwed if some gets stolen.
    4. PLEASE keep an eye on your valuables, yes, it sounds obvious but SO many people don't. If you have a bag, wear it in a way you can see what's going on with the zip, don't put things in your back pocket, etc.
    5. Don't eat at popular tourist sites, eg - Vatican area of Rome. The food will be shit and totally over priced, check out back streets and quieter areas, better food will be there!

Good websites -
    1. hostelworld - gives great reviews for hostels and backpackers all over the world.
    2. trip advisior - similar but for hotels as well.
    3.bestflights.com.au - great flight deals

Hope this helps! :)

9. PhyreTrukk

PhyreTrukk Member

Thank you all so much! I got a new job and my boss is really cool and he really wants to do this swell, so I'm hoping we can travel together. All this information is so much help. Thanks again!

10. unakite

unakite Guest

There's also a forum out there called Squat The Planet.. good resource for urban backpackers, hitch-hikers, train riders.. like any other online forum there's some harsh/mean/unhelpful people but also a lot of good travel stories and solid advice to be found.

11. paigem0826

paigem0826 Guest

I've done a lot of traveling in life, and the biggest thing to keep in mind is to have fun! It's hard to have fun sometimes when you're on the busiest schedule trying to cram in tourism trips and what not, but I find that relaxing and taking small steps in a different place is more fun than being on a hectic schedule! Definitely bring a camera with you, or stock up on some of the disposable ones. Make sure you have enough money, and if you don't want all of it with you, let someone you trust be in charge of handling it back at home so they can western union it to you when you want. Don't be afraid to talk to other travelers and locals, but really trust your gut on situations that seem a little fishy. If you want to travel all around whatever place you desire, I recommend looking up some hostels! They're affordable, and though they always seem sketchy, they're actually quite nice, and you get to meet a lot of tourists usually!

The places I've been to are:
    Out of country: Canada, China, Spain, and Vietnam (I've been in Vietnam the longest of the others - 5 months)
    In the U.S. - Maine (where I live), Virginia (second home), New York (mostly the city), Rhode Island, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and I've been to Mass since it's so close to where I live, but mostly just Boston.

If you're interested in those places, feel free to message me!! :)

12. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

The thorntree forum is a good place to get up to date information. You can read about places to stay, transportation and all sorts of things.

If you get into diving and become a dive instructor, you can be in lovely places working and enjoying it.

I prefer to have a work home that allows me time enough to travel and money enough to never need to hesitate before going on a trip. I travel cheap, but I prefer to do it by choice.

Pack light, then reduce it to half.

Money wise, I'd take cash in the past, but now I rely mostly on plastic, because it takes less volume to carry it around and you can even go diving with your plastic on your person. ATM machines are not so difficult to find.

Before I go on a trip, I update maps on my smartphone, as well as language pack on google translate application, movies and exchange rates. I like to gpx my tracks and I also use the phone for watching movies/reading books/playing games when I can't sleep, or when I'm on long bus/boat/plane trips. These things are always nice when you travel mostly alone (my case).

Wish you happy travels!

13. MarcoMar

MarcoMar Banned

Same here. I really do prefer to have a stable job and use my free days for travel. I get only a week and that's why limit myself to one city at a time. I've been a week in Barcelona, Berlin, Munich, Paris, Chicago, New York. Sadly, some are more expensive than others and it's not always possible to see everything in a week, but I've never regretted it. I also prefer to choose cheap flights and hotels and have more money to spend on going back and forth, eating a lot of the local cuisine and buying gifts for family and friends. I almost always use cash only and take the amount I'll need for the day with me and leave the rest in a sock or with my underwear in my locked luggage. It's a bit paranoid, but I've had bad experience. :(

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

15. StepRightStepLeft

StepRightStepLeft Member

world is truly a big place. good company will make it fun