Summer Camp Music Festival 2011!!

Discussion in 'Gig List' started by funkyou, Mar 20, 2011.

1. funkyou

funkyou Guest

Anyone planning on heading to the Summer Camp Music Festival this year? Taking place from May 26-29 2011, in beautiful Chillicothe, IL, Summer Camp is the PERFECT way to spend your Memorial Day weekend. Tickets are currently priced @ a reasonable $165. This year's lineup is shaping up to be the best yet! The long list of announced artists includes:

moe. (3 nights + Friday late night)
    Umphrey’s McGee (3 nights)
    Widespread Panic
    STS9 (+ Sunday late night)
    Bassnectar
    Cypress Hill
    Huey Lewis and the rUMors (featuring Umphrey's McGee w/ a full horn section!!)
    The Avett Brothers
    Girl Talk
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers
    Bela Fleck & The Flecktones (The Original Line-Up)
    Keller Williams
    Slightly Stoopid
    Lotus (+ Saturday late night)
    Wiz Khalifa
    Skrillex
    EOTO (+ Sunday late night)
    Cornmeal
    Big Gigantic (+ Saturday late night)
    SOJA
    Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
    7 Walkers
    Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile
    The Wood Brothers
    The New Mastersounds
    Tea Leaf Green
    Mimosa
    BoomBox
    Daedelus
    Family Groove Company
    Future Rock
    Ryan Montbleau Band
    The Pimps of Joytime
    Paper Diamond
    Orgone …and many many many more!

For more info..head over to the website @ www.summercampfestival.com

2. Damion01

Damion01 Guest

Summer music camps can provide you fun and good environment to learn valuable music skills. Attending summer camps can provide children a good time to spend focusing on developing music skills they have. Music summer camps will enable children to completely learn the skills that are needed, which leads to grow them as musicians.

3. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

Summercamp is a festival at 3 sisters park in Chillicothe, IL. I've been to it several times (I was there the year a wicked storm came through and they evacuated the entire festival). Initially it was a pretty good festival - I stopped going a couple of years ago because the DEA was getting way too zealous. One of the up and coming groups was essentially assaulted by "security" for carrying their own equipment. This area of the country is extremely conservative and the media in nearby Peoria is very unfriendly toward the event. Honestly, I've seen more drug use and sales in a Nascar parking lot (no, I'm not a Nascar fan - got dragged to one - long story). It's basically a moe hosted festival that's put on by Jay Goldberg. I won't say that I won't go to this festival again - simply because it's so damn close to where I live and they do get some really good artists (and they usually include a few premier jamgrasslikeish bands - YMSB, Cornmeal, HBRSB, Henhouse prowlers (sexfist in the Chicago vernacular) etc. If you go, pay special attention to the park chapel during the day - there's been some pretty special musical moments in that place.

Don't try bringing in your own booze, unless you're a pretty damn good smuggler - at times it's easier to get onto a plane than into summercamp. Watch out for some of the local yokel meth and crackheads who like to shit, puke and piss near tents. Typical festival precautions are in order. Overall, it's pretty laid back. One year, Jon Fishman (he was playin with JMP) walked within five feet of me as he made his way from backstage - through the crowd - and over to the sound booth. I was so shocked that all I could do was smile and nod at him - talk about the perfect balance of fortune and fame. I think my buddy (huge phish phan), who I was standing with and who started hyperventilating, went straight into a portalou and masturbated. Also, if your one of these people that brings their ferrel dog to festivals and lets it run around off leash shitting and pissing everywhere - don't come to this festival.