Germany Shuts Down Seven Nuclear Power Stations

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by skip, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lode

lode Banned

Yes, it is a possibility.

Though seems increasingly unlikely as time passes.

2. Marchfool

Marchfool Member

we all need to cut down on our over consumption of things so we can make re-newable energy work. People just think about how much it costs to install and it's limitations but there's just so much money squandered in this day and age that people could make it work in the long term if they just cut back on the indulging. It's sad really 'cause most people in most countries could have renewable energy on their homes and provide their countries with a back up WTSHTF. Obviously i'm only talking about the middle classes. The working class can't afford renweable unless they saved the pennies for about 10-15 yrs.

3. HermanDaVermin

HermanDaVermin Banned

That says it all right there; panic. That is what people are doing over this whole thing, panicking rather than taking a calm and informed approach and making an assessment of the reality of what is going on rather than the panic and "maybe's" and "what if's".

I'm no big fan or proponent of nuclear power, but if you take a reasoned look at it, it still is historically the safest means of power production with the least amount of negative impact on the environment that is economically feasible.

I'm willing to bet that even with this disaster in Japan when all the dust settles and a decade long follow up, nuclear power will still be responsible for less loss of life and environmental damage than fossil fuels have been.

Consider all the damage from pollution, strip mining for coal, oil spills, explosions, cave-ins, cancers, wars over oil, diverting rivers for hydro-electric, the millions of acres of land around the world with tainted soil from simply having a gas station there, etc.,etc.
    It really is no contest folks concerning the harm caused by different energy sources. Nuclear still remains the safest, cleanest alternative for now.

Some people may not like that fact, but it is still the reality of the situation and disagreeing with it doesn't change it.

4. terrak

terrak Guest

This is really annoying me, Japan has to worry because it has earthquakes all the time. Why are people worrying that their countries power plants aren't built to withstand combinations of magnitude 9.0 earthquakes and tsunamis? when was the last time Germany was hit by either?

Nuclear power is safe, green and environmentally friendly despite what a lot of people think. the waste is sealed in tonnes of metal and berried under mountains where it can't harm anything.

5. Marchfool

Marchfool Member

someone on a t.v programme in the u.k pointed out a tsunami hit an area where there's nuclear power stn.s...400 yrs. ago.

6. terrak

terrak Guest

lol, but that's exactly what I mean- the uk doesn't have earthquakes or tsunamis and we haven't had any major nuclear scares either. so why when a power plant on the other side of the planet can't stand a major natural disaster we have to worry about ours?

the general public are retards at times

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

8. terrak

terrak Guest

who's trolling?

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

happy anniversary

2 people like this.
  10. Scratched

Scratched Members

I'm so glad Germany stepped forward and shut their nuclear plants down. I truly believe our world will be much safer without nuclear power.
    Look at the daily run-off from the Japanese reactor and imagine the impact on the sea environment all around the area. I would take coal and fossil fuels anytime over this
    nuclear junk poisoning our aquatic wildlife (i.e. food chain).
    I pray that all nuclear countries step up and do the responsible thing.