Germany Shuts Down Seven Nuclear Power Stations

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by skip, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It really is looking that way isn't it? I've officially lost hope for this country. Corporations own our elected officials.

I wonder how many other nuclear plants sit on fault lines? I know at least two in my state sit on a major fault line.

2. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

Solar energy is better.

3. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

and the center of the us is one of the world's great wind energy sources

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If we were able to go up into space and harness the energy output of one solar flare put off by the raging inferno that is our sun, we'd be able to power the Earth's present day energy consumption for 40,000 years.

I read that in an Astronomy textbook about 5 years ago.

5. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

cough cough........

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/1...nistan-might-have-worlds-largest-lithium-dep/

US finds one trillion dollars worth of lithium in Afgan? I call bs and knew about this new gold mine. This is problably why the Russian in the first place invaded Afgan back in the 70s and US saw it chance to either place its troops on closer land to Russia or also knew about this which such invasion led US to train the Taliban.

So first its Iraq for its oil fields to be contracted by Dick Cheney ex company where he CEO'd Halliburton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton

now seeing the picture more clear you can see how they are going to burn out gas and make your new "gas" almost organic energry that being Lithium.

6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Theres a big windfarm across the road, i think close to 300 towers perhaps. What we need to do now is crack down on energy consumption by dumping energy hog appliances and equiptment replacing them with more effeciant and also we need to develp a more efficant storage battery system. Thats the thing we are missing is the way to store it. Solar and wind can produce all the power we need if we had a way to store the surplus.

7. gingermakesyouwell

gingermakesyouwell Member

right on germany beautifull move very hopelifting news thank you for you headstart on peace and true about the fossil fuels and coal but at least its a start

8. gingermakesyouwell

gingermakesyouwell Member

if only we new how two fly the peramids

9. lode

lode Banned

One windfarm operating normally is going to kill more animals (birds) than the Fukishima reactors has which is apparently zero. They also require big expensive batteries which produce acid waste, and take up a lot of land to produce the energy a coal/gas/nuclear plant, and don't work well everywhere.

Still a lot cheaper than solar though. I've built a house using PhotoVoltaics and solar isn't an option for more people. They also don't work well everywhere. If some rich people want to use it that's great for them, but those who propose it as an option now might as well be talking about fusion which is perfect free fuel that we don't have the technology for yet either.

Coal and gas plants dump radioactive waste into the atmosphere, increase global warming, and we have to mine more extensively for them than uranium. The radioactive waste from nuclear plants is stored in deserts encased in non degradable seals.

Nuclear still seems like the best option for most places till we get PV cells cost effective, or till we get operational fusion plants, or another options presented. And while a few of you are sitting at your computer (10% of your energy bill) scratching your heads about ways to conserve energy, and suggesting population control measures...

I think the rest see what I'm getting at.

I also think the problems facing Japan's nuclear plants which are a problem are overshadowing their larger problem from being hit by one of the two biggest earthquakes in 50 years.

10. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Lode, you should read the article I posted about Japan's food and water being contaminated by nuclear fallout, and then come back and tell us how wonderful nuclear power is.

Japan will NEVER be able to use contaminated farmland again... The only question is how much will be affected. They are finding significant contamination in food 75 miles from the plant...

And it ain't over yet.

11. lode

lode Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T2

"Though radioactive iodine has a short half-life of about eight days and decays naturally within a matter of weeks, there is a short-term risk to human health if radioactive iodine in food is absorbed into the human body," warned the International Atomic Energy Agency

A person who consumed the tainted food continuously for a year would take in the same amount of radiation as a single CT scan"

Doesn't seem like the ecological catastrophe global warming is...

Never did I use the term wonderful. I just said it was better than the alternatives. The only thing that could come close to replacing it at this time is wind power. It's defiantly a favorable replacement to technologies which dump waste into the atmosphere, even if nuclear plants can't survive the worlds strongest earthquakes.

12. FLORIDA MON

FLORIDA MON Member

13. lode

lode Banned

It's possible. Nobody really knows how bad this is at this state, and most people are just guessing. It does appear to be getting better though I could be wrong. You're not really debating the information, just challenging the source with that.

http://mitnse.com/

14. kleo36

kleo36 Guest

I don't know about all of you, but I am pretty scared of all this. It's weird really. Some say that WW3 will start and other say that it is just an accident...

15. zocipro

zocipro Banned

All those things with Libya recently, to much destroying, many bad things...where the world goes ?

16. PassionateChemist

PassionateChemist Member

I laugh hard @ people who are afraid of nuclear powerplants. I have worked myself in one, for research only, here in Holland. It's a very safe and clean way to produce power, and way better for the environment then fossil fuels.

Yes there is a catastrophic disaster happening right now involving some nuclear power plants, but that happend near an eartquake of 9.0 on richter's scale! They had calculated on a 8.2 when they build the power plants, and on 7 meter waves. 9.0 is 8 times stronger than 8.2, and there was a 14 meter wave. Of course the power plant broke down! Also the wave was a few kilometres wide(into the ocean).

What I'm saying is, probably more than half of people here who disagree on nuclear energy don't even know the pro's and cons. For example, would you sign your autograph on a piece of paper, saying we should stop the nearby factories to 'exhale' dihydrogen oxide?

Just because a bunch of people started being against nuclear energy, it now has a 'bad touch' to the people, much like the word 'drugs'.

Please think for yourself. World will be a happier place.

17. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I care more about cancer rates among humans than a few slow birds dying.

You are mis-informed. Wind farms do not require any batteries of any type.

18. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I am strongly against nuclear power for reasons I have stated elsewhere on Hipforums, and I have a physics degree from MIT. So we are not all ignorant.

19. lode

lode Banned

A: There have been no deaths or cancer from Fukishima.

B:

http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/windfaq.html#battery

20. PassionateChemist

PassionateChemist Member

Yet.