Germany Shuts Down Seven Nuclear Power Stations

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by skip, Mar 15, 2011.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Panic has gripped Germany over the nuclear disaster in Japan. Public reaction to the crisis has varied from people buying geiger counters to protests against President Angela Merkel's key energy policy, which would give those old plants another 12 years of life.

With an election this month, Merkel is reacting quickly to the protests, ordering the shutdown of seven older nuclear power plants. She also issued a three month moratorium on renewing the life of these plants until a safety review is completed.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,751135,00.html

2. broony

broony Banned

Good, someone needs to make the first move. We just need to get the rest of europe and especially America to start doing the same. As you can see we have a lot left to shut down, not one of these are safe.
    [​IMG]
    http://123456789energy.blogspot.com/

1 person likes this.
  3. sentastorm

sentastorm Member

NZ must remain nuclear free

4. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Nice. I like this. :sunny:

5. stash napt

stash napt Member

I don't like nuclear power.. Something about fucking with atoms the very things that construct are physical reality bothers me. They also produce an ass ton of waste and as seen and japan are not hazard free. Soooooo many more intelligent things to do with are minds then run these radioactive clusterfucks..

6. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

yeah they had a segment on the news last night about how we have nothing to worry about where I live.

I still say, its better to be safe then sorry

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

To be honest I thinks in kind of cool living near a nuclear power plant but I admit I live in dread of the unscheduled siren test - gulp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOyFvMQUwq4"]YouTube - Seabrook Nuclear Plant Siren Test 11/18/09 in S Hampton NH

Hotwater

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

there are 4 nuclear power plants within a 200 mile radius of where I live. Scary. There is a lake near one nuclear power plant that is famous (well, famous in my state) for having 95 degree water year-round. Thats insane. I'm going to research into cancer rates of people who grew up around that lake, I would be really interested to know.

9. zocipro

zocipro Banned

Wow...where are located ?

Yes Nuclear power is good POWER of every country, but not even for the human beings.

10. dreadlocksftw

dreadlocksftw Visitor

Nuclear power is still much better than coal or fossil fuels. Remember that.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

south carolina. Not too long ago I noticed a new sign they posted at the lake I referred to. It said that it was dangerous to eat more than 1 fish from the lake a month because the fish contain high levels of toxins and radiation.

Its better until something like the earthquake in Japan happens. Japan is going to be dealing with the consequences of these nuclear meltdowns for many years to come.

12. thunder

thunder Member

Greed replaces common sense. TVA runs 6 nuclear power plants they state that none are near any fault lines so there's no reason to be concerned about any problems like that is taking place in Japan.

13. walsh

walsh Senior Member

We don't f***ing need more power. Stop population growth, stop economic growth, stop pollution. More is not better.

14. willedwill

willedwill Member

The German being: I don't want to die; I don't want to die; I don't want to die. dying is the most un-private thing to have happen to you. James Brown: "I feel good. I knew that I wouldn't."

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Eanie meanie minie mo press a button.
    Problem solved.
    Japs don't get Simpsons or something?

16. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

No more breathing. But I agree, the perpetual growth model is a ponzi scheme.

17. skip

I'm wondering if Homer Simpson isn't running the show at Fukushima...

18. rygoody

rygoody Senior Member

I am a nuclear power supporter. People sight things in Japan as reason to end nuclear power but, nuclear is the future and direction we must go even though it is not safe.

I mean, the direction into the future, any direction you go, for any purpose, is filled with incredible risks. Back when we were primitive man and we started playing with fire, sure we probably burned ourselves alot, but if we didn't start playing with fire way back when and fucking up, we wouldn't have many of the countless modern amenities that rest on our mastery of fire. Back when pioneers first trekked out across the US, surely dangerous, and many people died, but good thing they made the push so we can live how we live today. When the countless of hippies and psychonauts took LSD, MDMA, mushrooms and other things, sure there is risk, but thank god people explored that and are getting it figured out.

Anything worth doing is not without great risk. It is unfortunate that when it comes to Nuclear power we are at the level of fucking up entire continents if something fucks up. Primitive man, if he fucked up with fire and burned himself, I mean the worst that could happen is your huts would burn down maybe a handful of people die. And now with nuclear power, a fuckup can wipe out a country. But this is the progression of humanity and man and evolution. The stakes are rising, the risks are rising, things are getting bigger, more powerful. We can't just hit a bump in the road and go 'oh too dangerous, lets go back'. Although in the wagon days a bump in the road was a broken wagon axle, and in the nuclear age a bump in the road is, a decimated city. But still, more people, the larger the scale of our endeavors, the larger the bump.

Now don't get me wrong here, I understand the thought process behind, we need to shut all of these nuclear power plants down, they are too dangerous. It's not that I don't share the same intuition to some degree. But all the power plants aren't going to shut down, and the reason is because of exactly what I've explained.

This fuckup in japan will have to be taken into account and we will have to design future reactors be more ready to deal with such things. After the chernobyl meltdown, reactor designs went through an incredible overhaul, and the threat of a modern reactor melting down for the same reasons chernobyl melted down is non-existent. Another chernobyl incident will not occur for the same exact reasons chernobyl occured, that issue with reactor designs is fixed.

Now with what happened in japan there going to have to go back to the drawing table to make sure what happened in japan will not happen with future reactor designs. I assume some of the changes that will happen are, nuclear power plants are no longer going to be built in places with a high risk of natural disaster. Far from fault lines and high altitude. Nuclear reactors are also going to need to be more portable, so they can be quickly moved if necessary, or the effects of the rupture able to be quickly nullified. Maybe have all nuclear reactors be on large cargo ships, or submarines, floating at sea. If the thing is fucking up, sink it to the bottom of the ocean. Or maybe have all reactors be attached to booster rockets, if it starts fucking up, blast it into the sun. I dunno. Things can be done.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

I support project Orion..... Lets take it all and move into the future. send all that shit to outer space and get rid of it ...

Atomic energy is ancient, there isnt really a future in it at all..

Grow our fuel on the surface with biomass, wind and solar.. LIKE WTF!!@

20. skip

China has now applied the brakes to its nuclear industry, halting all approval processes for new nuke plants - and 24 new ones were being fastracked. They are going to review the designs and ensure they are the most rigorous and up-to-date.

Obama has said he stands by the nuclear power industry and will continue with his plans to put $36 billion into the industry's hands so they can start new power plants. Looks like NOTHING will stop Obama's Energy plans, not even a huge disaster like this...

Obama is just the ultimate corporate shill.