Help a hippy brother out!

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Sawyer, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Member

Please visit http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/hippygocoastguard/ to sign on your support for the following:

To whom it may concern:

My name is Soren S. Powell and I am seeking an officer commission in the United States Coast Guard as I have a bachelor's degree in Biological/Environmental Engineering from the University of Maryland. Some people join the military in response to a Pearl Harbor or 9/11 type of national moment. The BP oil spill of 2010 was like a 9/11 moment for me, crystalizing my desire to join the Coast Guard. I was even named for my great-great-grandfather, Soren Carlsen, a 19th-Century Norwegian immigrant and Captain in the USCG.

However, I have non-denominational religious views that prevent me from cutting my dreadlocked hair, be vaccinated, or engage in law enforcement of federal marijuana laws as marijuana is my sacrament. By signing this petition, the undersigned understand and support my effort to join the USCG with special exemptions from haircuts, vaccines, and orders to participate in marjuana-targetted law enforcement operations. Precedent for the haircuts exemption has already been granted to members of the Sikh faith. The First Ammendment to the Constitution protects the freedom of religion of all Americans, including hippies such as myself.

Soren Powell

2. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

[​IMG]Welcome to Hip Forums! Good luck!

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Back in the 60s ,Disneyland was not letting people with long hair in to enjoy themselves like other patrons. So I said the hell with 'em. Disn't cut my hair and didn't go. Same with Mexico back then. Sometimes you have to make a choice as to relative importance. I know this doesn't help you,but you may be at that point. Which is more important for you?? Doing what you want or what they want? Just sayin'--sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. You've picked your battle. Is it worth it? Of course ,not cutting hair doesn't compare to your life decision-----

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

moved to activism..if anyone knows a better place let me know

5. Sawyer

Sawyer Member

I have a decent job at a water treatment firm that probably makes more than what the military would pay me. I think that I have an excellent position from which to negotiate the terms of my entry into the Coast Guard. I may not get everything that I ask for, but I can at least give it a try.

6. Sawyer

Sawyer Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyvHEWX2eY"]YouTube - USCG Haircut Exemption check it out

7. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

so are you actually a sikh or just saying it?

8. Geriatric Delinquent

Geriatric Delinquent Member

Ah the eternal conscientious objector.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAL8f-bWuus"]YouTube - All American Boy

9. Sawyer

Sawyer Member

I don't personally subscribe to any organized religions, but I believe in them all!

10. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84QzVPA3rrY"]YouTube - Police Academy,the haircut

11. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Sorry sawyer, can't support your effort to be special. It is a vain activity.
    Your religious views do not prevent you from cutting your hair. You may not want to cut your hair for a religious symbolism, but there nothing preventing you from cutting your hair.

Your petition is what, that you deserve special consideration because you got to respect the fact that men in my family have worked for people who have boats and I really really wanna be in the coast guard, but I really really don't wanna have to cut my hair. Criecky son.

What is the policy on hair in the coast guard? When I was young I was inspired for a time toward joining the coast guard because they serve a regular and socially valuable mission. Rescuing people on a daily basis from the worst conditions. Turns out I was not physically qualified. Had it been a matter of cutting my hair in exchange for rescuing people in dire situations, hair goes. I don't think you are exactly clear on your priorities here.

So I would say sawyer, if you are one who combines features from many religions that means that you decide what the rituals are and on this basis,
    your request for exemption is based on a totally false claim of religious compulsion.

12. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

:computer: Good post Dope.
    I woulda been much harsher on the lad m'self...:peace: