Veg food on the cheap

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Well, back in Colorado, and farmers markets that open in late spring with not much.
    Renting a room, some communal food...basically my roomie takes what he likes. As long as he leaves my Vitamix alone, I’m happy. (I scored a mid 70s metal jar version for $75)

The pantry is one shelf, so I really have to rethink what and how much I buy.
    This week’s groceries, consumed, totaled $20ish. Lettuce, bell peppers, two cans of beans, totrtillas, an onion, almond milk, tofu, can of tomatoes and a Serrano pepper for salsa, and almond milk ice cream. I was treated to dinner twice this week, and I’m working through a bunch of frozen greens and fruit. I had brown rice.

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Agreed. I make stock from scraps, so soups are really inexpensive.

3. lithiumkat

lithiumkat Guest

I agree that it really depends on what you make. My cheap and easy go to things tend to be pretty simple. A pita with hummus, diced cucumber, spinach, salsa and maybe some goat cheese if I am doing any dairy. Aldi carries quite a few veggie burger varieties that are pretty affordable and tasty so I will pair those with some fresh chopped veggies on a sandwich thin or something. I agree that bean burritos are a nice and easy option. Veggie Nachos are also pretty easy, cheap and tasty. I like to make Veg tacos or nachos with a lentil based taco filling that is pretty tasty. Lentil Potato soup is easy and tasty and cheap and honestly...buddha bowls. I will make rice and black beans and throw in salsa and feta, maybe throw in some various roasted or cooked veggies, whatever is on hand. Tofu baked crispy and mixed into stir fry on rice is another easy cheap and tasty option. Veggie sandwich and salad are always cheap, easy, fast and tasty and healthy.

drumminmama likes this.
  4. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

Steel cut oats with raisins, peanuts, peanut butter and fig jelly.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Have you ever tried using coconut milk and coconut cream? I had sleep apnea so I quit all dairy other than butter. Coconut milk works fine for mashed potato. The other day I substituted cream with coconut cream for making the sauce for sticky toffee pudding. The rest I made into custard.
    I have previously made using coconut cream: trifle, bread & butter pudding, rice pudding, vanilla slice. If you have a cake or pudding recipe that calls for a splash of milk, you can brew up a cup of black tea and use that. Drink the rest of the tea.
    Where I am coconut milk and coconut cream is more expensive than moo juice, but cheaper than any synthetic milk.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. Bilby

Glad to hear it. Margarine is not food.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Good ol' beans & rice. Red beans & rice, black beans & rice, field peas/black-eyed peas & rice; and best of all, Puerto Rican pigeon peas & rice.
    I like dried beans; no salt and who-knows-what compared to canned.
    Vegetable curry over rice.
    Stir-fried veggies over rice.
    I like local produce for a host of reasons, including cost.
    Wintertime can be slim pickins' in that regard; frozen veggies seem better and cheaper than canned.
    Potatoes in all of their infinite glory.
    She tends a small garden. Any veggie cuttings that can take root, should take root.
    I bake all our bread.
    We make our own yogurt and kefir. Sometimes we make the kefir into cheese similar to chevre.
    She found a source on-line for cheap expiration-date-expired coffee.
    We get eggs from the local care home; they're not only cheap, the folk there keep the money and put it towards their activity fund. The average age of a grocery store egg is two months; these are less than 12 hours old.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My complaint of the prices at Whole Foods has recently become less valid. They have a new treat - Eat Gud. They make a wrap out of some kind of lettuce with cabbage and things inside. It's really good! AND... are you ready? Less than $5 for a change! :D

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Ohhh...I love falafel!

~Zen~ and soulcompromise like this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Our new dog tends to eat all the meat in our house, so Jane is increasingly left with all the vegetables to feed me. :D

~Zen~ and Piobaire like this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

We make our own hummus and pita, too.

12. Bilby

Anyone eat weeds? I eat purslane, nettles, plantains, marshmallow leaves. Larger nettles are OK if you discard the stems as they are bit stringy. Purslane needs a good wash. Leave it in water and lift out. Repeat the process until there is no more dirt left in the water.

~Zen~ likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My father-in-law used to make lakror with stinging nettles. I don't know how to prepare them.

14. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I have eaten purslane in the islands, and plantains are a part of Caribbean cookery :) But I never ate nettles or marshmallow leaves, probably none to find out here in the desert, but necessity is the mother of invention when it comes to food.

Bilby likes this.
  15. Bilby

I had to look up lakror. Sounds similar to spanakopita. The last spanakopita triangles I made were a bit too salty. There is a fair bit of salt in feta cheese.

~Zen~ likes this.