if you were going to learn a new language...

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by machinist, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

2. MADDENEDMAN

MADDENEDMAN Members

Afrikaans, my mothers father was from Cape town. Its so close to English the grammar is a breeze if you're good with english grammar already

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Same with dutch. 'Afrikaans' is actually the dutch word for African.

4. sae68

sae68 Members

And isn't Dutch quite similar to Anglo Saxon English? I think the Natives of the Frisian Islands Speak a very similar language to old English.

5. Asmodean

Dutch is as similar to german as english, so yes lots of anglo saxon influences. Frisian also, but has clearly also more similarities with scandinavian languages like swedish, danish and norwegian than dutch.

1 person likes this.
  6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Are your German and French at least A2 level though?
    B1 maybe?

7. Asmodean

I'm not familiar with those levels but my german and french is quite bad. Its basic enough that I wouldn't starve in those countries, but there it stops.
    German is much easier to follow for me, but when speaking I can't come up with the right words myself.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

@.....Asmo.......Your Grasp Of The English Amazes Me......After Reading Hundreds Of Your Posts

Over The Years I Find Your "Grasp" Of The English Language To Be Way Above Peeps

Whose First Language Is English..... :) .

Cheers Glen.

10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Irminsul too, I'd say.

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

As I Understand It "Irm" Was Born In Australia.......Please Take Note......Australian's Have No Idea

Of How English Is Spoken......Australian Is As Far From English As You Can Get......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

[​IMG]

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  13. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I one time thought about learning Turkoman since it is so grammatically close to Japanese (Which I do speak fluently). I would like to learn Welsh since I recently discovered I have some Welsh heritage. But I am always fascinated with Indigenous languages and would like to learn more. I am currently working on Lakota, which is practical for me because I am on the Board of Directors of a small nonprofit that helps Natives, and most everyone is Lakota (I'm the token white boy). I also attend Lakota ceremony (sweat lodges, house ceremonies and yuwipis, etc. etc.). I have also been very interested in the Ural Altaic indigenous languages, such as Tungusic, or Samoyed...

I have a huge collection of dictionaries, lexicons, grammars, and so forth. (Put together as research for an unfinished book). It would be hard for you to name a language that I do not have resources in. (I even have someone in Australia that sends me vocabulary lists from various aboriginal languages).

What's that? German? Oh... No, I don't have anything in German...

I'M JOKING! I even studied German in High School and a year in college. Seriously, it would be hard to come up with a language I do not have resources in. One problem I have is that there is so much, that I even have stuff filed away that I have forgotten completely about. I'll be looking for something and come accross a file folder and, "Oh that's interesting----look at that..." I recently found a dictionary that fell behind a book shelf, and I couldn't even remember where the language came from (it was an African language). I would like to convert everything to a computerized format so I could just retrieve it from a memory disk. I have done that with some things----for example I have Old German, Gothic, Friesian, several other Germanic language dictionary/lexicons on a USB with about 100 other dictionaries and vocabulary lists. One of my prized possessions though is a very comprehensive Ural-Altaic Lexicon that even links vocabulary to non-Ural-Altaic languages, and proto-languages such as Sumerian. I printed it off the internet many years ago---I think there is a hardback version that sells for 100's of dollars and is very had to find. It is probably a couple 100 pages, and unfortunately, several pages got ripped and I have lost some of the ripped parts. I would love to find that again and keep it as a .pdf, but unfortunately the university that had it online no longer puts it out there...

14. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Though Lanna is a language I do not have any resources in---only Thai, and another Thai indigenous language or two. There is some specific vocabulary I would like to have if you remember or know it...

I can get by in 3 languages with a good degree of fluency, and a 4th one at a good conversational level. I can read a 5th language. I can stumble around in probably 4 or 5 other languages if I have a dictionary.

15. I speak english, french, spanish fluently and some german very badly but want to learn chinese (mandarin). I'm with you mountain valley wolf in that with a good dictionary it's quite possible to get by in others. ​