Possession, Exorcisms, and Rites

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by Ukr-Cdn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Hysteria

2. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

lol, I did'nt mean it to be a trick question. :) I wondered if it were possible that the person could know something was wrong but would want to be cured. Like a man with a leech on his body would want to pull it off.

In the Gospel men who are possessed usually searched for Jesus and I always saw some sort of will deep down inside of wanting to be cured.

So a Jesuit is the head honcho in all this? See I didn't know this, thought it was certain ranks within or that all priests were taught something about this and were able to perform. Kinda like how all nurses need to know certain things. Thanks for that :2thumbsup:

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No, not necessarily.

Can. 1172 :
    1. No one can perform exorcisms legitimately upon the possessed unless he has obtained special and express permission from the local ordinary.
    2. The local ordinary is to give this permission only to a presbyter who has piety, knowledge, prudence, and integrity of life.

So basically, any priest can do it ( after being evaluated and given permission, of course ), but there are usually several priests in every country who do it.
    Like....If I was in need of it, I don't think I would go to my priest. I know exactly who is the person I'd look for.

And I'm not sure about official recordings, but yeah, I really wouldn't trust Youtube, lol.
    Also, I always thought this guy was interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Amorth
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/1260364/posts

4. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

The novel (and more famously the movie) The Exorcist is also based on the real exorcism of a young Lutheran boy.

As Piaf said, any priest, given permission by the local bishop, can perform exorcisms. I think Lynnbrown's comment about Jesuits is that there seems to be this beleif that the Jesuits are the bees knees within the Church. There certainly are exorcists that are Jesuits, but then there are those that are not.

Again, as Piaf has quoted Canon Law, only priests given permission may perform exorcisms, whilst the laity may assist.

I think I stated before that falling into mortal sin could be considered a type of demon possession (or at leaving oneself very very vulnerable to possession) and one can certainly recognise the need for healing there. On the extreme end, someone with a deep deep possession may still recognise the need for an exorcism. Some may not. These are the people for whom performing an exorcism may be legally difficult.

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Bees knees....hahaha

It's true, tho'...I've just always been led to believe and "picked up" that idea in some of my fiction books that the Jesuits were/are the real big deal...and would know basically anything, about this in particular. Although, now that I've been thinking and reading (this) I see I've definitely erred.
    Also, Piaf...that was most interesting - that info you provided.

6. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

North America has far less priests who are exorcists though. The best plan of attack here would probably be to contact the diocese.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh okay.
    And I always thought it was the Franciscans :D

8. paperairplane

paperairplane Banned

Ultimately, its all Love!

9. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

wowa! cannons over bible? interesting or maybe I havent enough of the thread.

10. paperairplane

paperairplane Banned

Jesus Christ heals all

11. Geriatric Delinquent

Geriatric Delinquent Member

I think these half-wit's hands are sorely in need of exorcism.....before their apparently demon possesed digits pump the pitiful remains of their brains out the eyes of their cocks! :dizzy2:

12. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Because of the nature of the medium, words must be used for this purpose. Words are very slippery things. When not used with the utmost care they may tend to change meaning, or hurt without intention.
    Please consider what you post before submitting it for view by others.

Words can also be used to intentionally spread hate, confusion, and malice. This forum seems to draw some who have strong opinions, one way or the other, please express these opinions in a thoughtful way. Attacks directed to any groups or individuals will not be tolerated.

Juts a reminder of the rules of the forums.

13. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Here is an article on possession you might find interesting:
    DEMON POSSESSION

The captive control and influence of a person by an invisible wicked spirit. In Bible times demonized persons were afflicted in various ways: some were unable to speak, some were blind, some acted insane, and some possessed superhuman strength. All were woefully mistreated by these invisible bullies. (Mt 9:32; 12:22; 17:15; Mr 5:3-5; Lu 8:29; 9:42; 11:14; Ac 19:16) Men, women, and children were their victims. (Mt 15:22; Mr 5:2) Sometimes the agony was compounded when many demons gained possession of a person at the same time. (Lu 8:2, 30) When the demon was expelled, the person returned to a normal, sane state of mind. There is a difference between demon possession and ordinary physical sickness and disease, for Jesus cured both types of disorder.—Mt 8:16; 17:18; Mr 1:32, 34.

Some of Jesus’ greatest miracles involved the setting of possessed persons free from captivity to the demons. They were powerless against him. But not everyone was happy with his demon-expelling work. The Pharisees accused him of being in league with the ruler of the demons, Beelzebub, whereas in reality, as Jesus pointed out, they themselves were the offspring of the Devil. (Mt 9:34; 12:24; Mr 3:22; Lu 11:15; Joh 7:20; 8:44, 48-52) Jesus knew the source of the power that gave him mastery over the demons, and he openly confessed that it was Jehovah’s spirit. (Mt 12:28; Lu 8:39; 11:20) The demons themselves recognized Jesus’ identity and addressed him as the “Son of God,” “the Holy One of God,” and “Jesus, Son of the Most High God.” (Mt 8:29; Mr 1:24; 3:11; 5:7; Lu 4:34, 41; Ac 19:15; Jas 2:19) However, at no time would Jesus allow them to witness in his behalf. (Mr 3:12) On the other hand, a man who was set free from the power of the demons was encouraged to publish to his relatives ‘all the things Jehovah had done for him.’—Mr 5:18-20.

Jesus also gave authority over the demons to his 12 apostles, and later to the 70 that he sent out, so that in the name of Jesus they too were able to cure the demon-possessed. (Mt 10:8; Mr 3:15; 6:13; Lu 9:1; 10:17) Even one not an immediate associate of Jesus or his apostles was able to exorcise a demon on the basis of Jesus’ name. (Mr 9:38-40; Lu 9:49, 50) After the death of Jesus, the apostles continued to have this power. Paul ordered “a demon of divination” out of a slave girl, much to the anger of her money-loving owners. (Ac 16:16-19) But when certain impostors, the seven sons of priest Sceva, attempted to cast out a demon in the name of “Jesus whom Paul preaches,” the demon-possessed man seized and severely mauled the seven of them and stripped them naked.—Ac 19:13-16.

Sometimes the wild and uncontrolled conduct of mentally unbalanced persons is due to possession by these invisible minions of Satan. Sometimes it is reported that spirit mediums have cast these demons out; this calls to mind what Jesus said: “Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not . . . expel demons in your name ?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you!” (Mt 7:22, 23) Compelling reasons, then, for heeding the counsel, “Be watchful,” and, “Put on the complete suit of armor from God that you may be able to stand firm against the machinations of the Devil” and his demons.—1Pe 5:8; Eph 6:11.

14. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

By Lynnbrown:

At any rate, I personally certainly believe in possession...

Lynnbrown, you may do well to say, ' I acknowledge [demonic] possession', as opposed to believing in...

And regarding 'sort of' having a plan; you better be living righteously and be of a pure heart before you even think of taking on a demon head-to-head. Go to Paul's Epistle to the Church of Ephesus, chapter six, verses ten thru seventeen. Also the Gospel of Saint Matthew, chapter four.

cheers, mate
    - JKHolman

15. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

And Corinthians are the top of the Line, and really relaxxing for us bachelors. But isn't there a contradiction for being able to possess/ be-possessed?

16. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

And, of course, mental illness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIc8krqspIc"]Atlanta Rhythm Section Imaginary Lover - YouTube

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Father Gabriele Amorth passed away a few months ago.
    I was deeply saddened, a huge loss for the Church, what a strong yet humble warrior he was.

18. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

If anyone is interested in this subject (from a traditional Roman Catholic perspective), I highly recommend Amorth's book(s). Very gripping and easy to read.
    I have read them, and even though there is some disturbing stuff, it carries a message of hope, humility, and a positive attitude (how could it be any different, when our Lord always defeats the Serpent?).
    Anyways, Father Amorth battled not only Evil, but he also had to fight within the Catholic Church, as many cardinals and bishops don't even believe in diabolic presence anymore.
    Simply said, this topic isn't popular today, and many clergymen believe all this talk would just scare people. And people don't like anyone telling them they can't do something, or that something is wrong or sinful.
    Anyways, Amorth kept asking bishops to appoint more exorcists, so much work there was.

Also, this man has carried out over 50 000 exorcisms, yet he said true demonic possessions are rare, and most cases were disturbances.

19. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Just by co-incidence, I noticed that William Blatty, writer of the 70's film 'The Exorcist' died just a few days ago. That film was widely regarded as extremely shocking when it came out. When I went to see it, several people were obviously upset, including my girlfriend of the time, and a couple sitting in front of us left about half way through.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38613928

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

For a Skeptical view, see Micheal Cuneo, American Exorcism: Expelling Demons in the Land of Plenty. Alas, I fear a good part of the American public is still living in the Middle Ages.