The best ways to invest $60,000 before money is worthless

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Sunandsalt, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Sunandsalt

Sunandsalt Member

I'm coming into about $60,000. What are the best ways to turn those numbers into a sustainable future for my family? Buying some land is key, but we haven't figured out the best place that is a compromise between environmental ease of living off-grid and reasonable pricing yet. How about housing: we're looking into affordable alternative housing options like yurts and teepees--how do they hold up in cold weather and storms? What would be the essential tools for maintaining a small farm? What would you do with a relatively large sum of money if you were pretty sure the easy western way of life was going to collapse?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Buy a NASCAR team.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is no "best" only what you want to get out of it.

4. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

At current rates you could buy 204 pounds of Silver with your $60,000.

Yes, in investing there is always risk.

But the current demand is higher than the supply.

Yes, I own considerable amounts of Gold and Silver.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

buy land if you need it...it almost always goes up in value and you can use it while it appreciates

I seen a 5 acre lot near here last winter for $30 grand and now it;s for sale again asking $60 grand...and theyll probably end up getting 50

6. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Give it to ole Lunar and watch it multiply baby!

7. lunarverse

5 acres for 50 g's. Ouch. You can get good land near Pakenham for like $7000 per 3 acres.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

some 5 acre lots here are selling for 100K..and thats with well water and septic needs...no services except hydro and phone:eek:

9. lunarverse

That's terrible...

[​IMG]

10. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Gold will be worthless soon.

11. Unknown American

No it will not. Gold will still retain value long after you and I are gone.

12. Michael Phelps

I know man.

13. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

gold may end up in a bubble just like the real estate market did. all time highs, selling it on tv and radio, its being whored out big time.. oh it may not be for years, but i wouldnt buy it at all time highs. silver is at less than half its all time high, as well as palladium. you can't say that about many things today.

14. Michael Phelps

Yes, gold will suck in the future, okay.

15. RajahQar

RajahQar Member

Diversify
    Invest the bulk of it in a sizable piece of land in a promising area.
    Precious metals may fall in value from time to time but hey its only been considered valuable for the majority of human civilization.
    A smaller amount may even pay off in an emerging business(this is high risk but with a small % of your money you have a decent chance of making a very good return).

If your a gambling man there is always the stock market if you feel you can trust it. (Until there are some major reforms I would say the odd are better in Vegas than the stockmarket though)

16. Unknown American

Prove it.:p

There is over 3000 years of history of gold being a means of exchange.

Consistently gold has increased in value.

If I bought it a the high price of about $800 or so an ounce in the 1980's I would still have more money now than what I began with.

I am not even going into the fact that if you adjust the pricing for inflation, gold is still undervalued.

The idea that gold will be worthless is ridiculous.

There is no logical reasoning for the argument.

I would love to hear your reasoning.:rolleyes:

17. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

In my opinion gold will always be intrinsically valuable. It possesses a lot of unique qualities that are hard to find in other elements. Even if it lost value in regards to monetary systems, it would still have value in myriad other applications. That is one of the reasons gold did rise to be the pinnacle of most all monetary systems, not because it's shiny and pretty, but because of it's properties as an elemental metal.
    Same holds true for diamonds. It is the intrinsic qualities of these materials that give them value, not any monetary systems. The more unique the qualities and characteristics of an element or molecule, the higher intrinsic value we ascribe to it.

18. Bad.Fish

Bad.Fish Sex wee pon de babylon

Buy BP shares :reddevil:

19. Michael Phelps

I apologize for being unclear. I was cracking a few jokes.

I believe that gold will always retain its value and most likely increase in value.

This seems to have rung true dating back to biblical times.

The tricky part is owning it where it will be safe and accessible to you. In a bank you lose physical possession of it. In your house it can be stolen if not vaulted properly. If you wear it around your neck you can get mugged.

I don't want to argue @ anything anyway whichever standpoint whoever has on this.

20. Unknown American

LOL!:D No problem. I understand.

I was just real curious. As an investor it is my job to constantly question myself. Because the fact is as much as I think I know, I am entirely open to being wrong and learning something.

Also I have a hell of a lot of money in gold and still by gold every month.

But I buy a lot more silver now becase I think it has a higher potential return.

Sorry for not seeing the joke.;)