public school or home school???????????

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by katelin101, May 16, 2010.

1. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I believe public education is important in that it teaches social skills by exposing children to a large population of their peers, forces them to consider different viewpoints by providing them with a myriad of different teachers, and ultimately provides more resources for a student to use.

A child's education is an extremely large burden that is going to require a large amount of time. It is a full time job for many people and it has entire facilities devoted to it, can you provide that same level of support and education consistently for 18 years?

Public schooling receives a lot of criticism for compartmentalization and for only teaching children to think in a systematized way, but it should be pointed out that these are both things that kids will encounter in the real world after they graduate.
    It should also be pointed out that "public school" is a blanket term and any descriptions of it are largely dependent on which school you are talking about. A child will not have the same experience at a public school in Harlem than they would at a public school in the suburban Midwest.

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

That's the stereotype, that homeschoolers have no social skills but it's rarely true, thank goodness. My guess is that the ones it is true for it would be true if they were in public or private school too. I know many people who went to public school even to Ivy League colleges that have a very low social skill set.

In my experience, most homeschoolers are actually more socialized because they do more out in the world rather than cooped up in a classroom all day. Even better, they do the things they do with a wider social economic and mixed ethnic background demographic of people.

As for the "real world" homeschoolers that I know spend far more time IN it than those kept in the "socialization warehouses" known as public school. A system btw, that generally KILLS the love of learning something everyone needs for anything they do in the "real world."

3. lalalaspider

lalalaspider Member

I was home schooled from preschool until seventh grade. I'm now a sophomore, my third year of public school. I hated home school at the time I was being home schooled but once I started public school, I wished that I had never started. In home school I learned so much more than I do in public school and in a lot less time too. But when I was younger I had very few friends and was very shy, and still am, because of home school.

4. Valdis

Valdis Member

You know it's possible that you are shy and would be no matter how you were schooled. I'm not at all sure it's environmental influences that cause one to be shy. I'm fairly sure that's a genetic thing.