Consciousness

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by LovePeaceMusic, May 7, 2010.

1. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

As can be seen from many of my posts, consciousness, reality, and existentialism in general are three topics which interest me greatly. I haven't seen a thread dedicated solely to consciousness so I decided to start one.

In your opinion:

1) What is the nature of consciousness? Explain what it means to you.

2) What has consciousness (other human beings, animals, plants, etc.) and what leads you to this conclusion?

3) Are consciousness and emotions separate or the same thing? What about consciousness and thought? Consciousness and sense perceptions?

4) Is consciousness dependant on language or can it exist without language?

5) Does consciousness live on after death? How or why not?

6) Aside from when we are dreaming, are we conscious when we sleep? What about when we pass out or are in a coma?

2. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Consciousness shapes matter, not the other way around.

3. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

Consciousness or perception?

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Intent shapes matter.

5. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Same difference.

6. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

What do you mean thedope?

So you're saying that consciousness and perception are the same drew? so, for example, is a deafblind person only partially conscious?

7. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Every particle of matter is conscious.

8. thedope

A generic term for an intent that shapes matter is gravity.

9. thedope

And consciousness is shared, all consciousness is accessible.

10. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

That's really interesting. :) Are you saying that it's possible for you, for example thedope, to access drew's consciousness?

11. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

There is only ONE consciousness.

Duality is an illusion.

12. thedope

Obviously in a very plain way we are communicating. The reason we are able to communicate is the human experience is ubiquitous, the same human "being" belonging to all of us.

13. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

Ahh, thanks. :) I find what both of you are saying really interesting. :D

Peace.

14. peace music life

peace music life Member

1) What is the nature of consciousness? Explain what it means to you.

Consciousness is being on the same level as most people portray their world. Everything within sight, sound, color; it's all there. Consciousness practically does not exist since there is no such thing as anything. Reality is just a way of thinking down to Earth. Consciousness is defining reality in a more wider aspect of the definition.

2) What has consciousness (other human beings, animals, plants, etc.) and what leads you to this conclusion?

I think that every object in the universe, dead or alive, has consciousness. How do we know if something doesn't have consciousness if we haven't lived life in its place?

3) Are consciousness and emotions separate or the same thing? What about consciousness and thought? Consciousness and sense perceptions?

Emotions are the reactions our minds face daily in reality. Thought is the time spent that our minds work at to organize information within reality, revealing millions of pictures every second.

4) Is consciousness dependent on language or can it exist without language?

Language simply doesn't exist. Nothing exists. Not reality, not the universe, not me or you.

5) Does consciousness live on after death? How or why not?

It does. We all go on a spiritual journey after we leave our bodies.

6) Aside from when we are dreaming, are we conscious when we sleep? What about when we pass out or are in a coma?

We are all conscious even if we're dead. Your body may be asleep, passed out, or dead, but your soul lives on as conscious just as you were before.

15. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

Thanks pml. Interesting take on the subject. :)

16. peace music life

peace music life Member

No prob. Sorry if you didn't understand what I was saying; most people don't. I basically live in my mind and create my own theories from drug experiences, so it can be quite difficult talking to me at times(according to other people).

I don't like using normal and simple words. They seem so...boring.

17. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

Nahh, you'e not difficult to understand. I find what people who draw on experiences they've had from drug use and other mind-expanding tools have to say very interesting and enlightening. :)

:peace:

18. peace music life

peace music life Member

Good to hear from someone that doesn't call me a drug addict when I say I learn and gain knowledge from psychedelics.

How many experiences have you had?

19. LovePeaceMusic

LovePeaceMusic Member

Nah, psychadelics get a lot of negative press for the minority of cases in which they do more harm than good...I tend to overlook that since in those cases the people taking them have done so in stupid/risky situations in the first place.

None, unfortunately. :p I don't want to experiment with drugs right now because for one thing, if I was going to take anything I'd be alone as none of my friends approve of drug use, and for another thing, I'm fourteen, still in school and living with my parents, so it doesn't sound like the best of ideas right now. I think I'll just stick with alcohol for now. ;)

20. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Consciousness is the ability to perceive in the most basic sense. It is the ability to have a localized experience.

Only living things have consciousness, but the type of living thing required or the complexity of life required to be conscious is open to debate. Apparently even slime molds can solve puzzles and they don't have neurons.

Consciousness, emotions, and thoughts are different things. Consciousness is the basic awareness, emotions and thoughts are phenomena which consciousness becomes aware of. Emotions and thoughts probably require centralized brains whereas consciousness may not.

Consciousness is independent from language. Language can only arise in an organism after consciousness has evolved in that organism. So language is dependent on consciousness but not the other way around.

Consciousness ends when the body dies because consciousness is the result of specific arrangements of matter.

The extent to which we are conscious when sleeping is variable. During a lucid dream we are very conscious, whereas during different stages of sleep we might have very little consciousness.