Are you afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by granny_longhair, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

some days i don't want to live, but i don't want to die yet or alone.
    feel very selfish writing this after reading the thread and peoples stories here, so heartfelt apologies to you all.

2. I really don't care what happens to my body when I die but I do know that someone is going to have to deal with the legalities of it all. My children are aware of a one sentence will that says they must liquidise any assets and share them equally and that's about it. I don't think about it, obviously I should, but I'm too caught up with living. Have to get my responsible head on and think about it I suppose.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I might live to be 100 or I might die today, I'm not worried about it. Don't want to go yet, give me another 20 years and I'll have nothing to complain about. I've asked my kid brother to see to it that I'm cremated and my ashes spread around some young trees in a forest to help them grow. Until then I'm focused on living.

4. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

Im mostly afraid of " how " i am going to die

5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No point in being afraid of it, que sera sera. I do hope the end isn't too long & drawn out, painful or debilitating, but I'll deal with it when it comes, until then it's far in the back of my mind where it belongs.

6. okelley

okelley Member

I'm going to be cremated. I might donate my body to a medical hospital if it isn't too complicated, then crenmate what's left. I think that's cheapest. If you leave your wealth(?) to just one person, no need for probate. My mom left her stuff to me by increment gifts over the years, you can do that, no taxes, no probate. Fix it so you are in control until the end, then ownership just shifts. It's a little more complicated, but does avoid probate and inheritance taxes (only due if you leave a lot).
    Death happens to us all, I think the best way to not fear death is to live a good life...try to be kind and FORGIVING....

7. cherryberry

cherryberry Member

In January I was in the hospital with severe dehydration from Chrones .I had a feeling I was going to die .I felt my life leaving my body .I was convinced that my time was up .I just knew this disease had got the best of me .I made it home from the hospital and laid in a bed for 2 months just waiting to die .One day I had an epiphany .I could lay there waiting to die or I could get up and live .I made myself get up out of that bed and slowly built myself up a little each day .It took me 3 months to get back to where I was .I realized that death is a experience we all will go through and that if you spend all of your time worrying about when it is going to happen you are cheating yourself out of the experience of living and all that comes with it .My grandma used to say you ain't gonna go til it's your time .I always thought that was a simplistic way to think of it .Now ,I know she was right .I try to live each day as if it were my last and I tell my loved ones everything I always wanted to say .I have made peace with anyone who has wronged me or anyone I have wronged .I have to say this experience taught me so much and I am a better person for having gone though it .I used to be terrified of dying but now I am not afraid .Just try to make everything right with your loved ones and friends .If you love them tell them .Don't leave any loose ends .That way when it does happen your slate will be clean .That's just me though .Thanks for letting me share my experience . Peace and joy:D

8. goofydrummer

goofydrummer Senior Member

Im 20, but became intensely aware of my own mortality at the age of 11. Looked at a 300 year old american flag and suddenly was able to comprehend the idea of eternal nonexistence. Had a panic attack, completely freaked me out, couldn't sleep for weeks. Still occasionally get death terrors, but have more spirituality than I did when I was younger. Still freaks me out intensely at times.

9. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

I am not afraid of death, but afraid of any long-term suffering that may come before. I am actually curious about what/if comes after this life.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

we dont die..

11. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

im afraid of the pain that may come along with it

12. Elijah

Elijah Member

i think some people are more afraid of what may come after death than death itself. i'm not going to panic, because i know it comes for all of us eventually.

13. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

As I get older I take less days for granted. Ive learned to be more giving and serve others. I try not to do things that will hurt others around me. The point is, live a righteous life. Help others, be kind and considerate, and have no regrets. Live as if it were your last day. Make each day special and make it your best
    A lot of us might fear death because it might come sudden to us. What's going to happen to our children? What about my family?I know I think about this part when I start considering my mortality It takes a lot to encourage yourself to prepare ahead of time for peace and make the most one of your precious human life instead of wasting it.
    Understand that death is a cycle. People are born, and people die. The truth is, everyone will have to die at some point or another. But, remember that life will still go on for those around you.
    Even after you die, people will still remember you! Your energy will continue to exist, and you will be missed by loved ones who cared about you deeply. You will stay in their hearts forever.
    Its very wierd, 40 yrs ago, as a medic in a fuckin god-forsaken jungle thousands of miles away- I had a lot less fear of death back then -then now. In a way, because I saw it all too often, I half expected it- just wishing that it would be painless as possible.
    I wish I knew and thought this way back then, but we were so young- the concept of life and death was a very real thing-Joked about often to show you knew the reality- not because you werent terrified.
    I struggled with the guilt of not dying and tried to search for the reason I was allowed to continue while others were not. but- (Thats a whole different post for a different forum)

Yeah, as I reflect on my life, and think about the "what comes next" the whole afterlife thing , I realize there is no definitive answer- I cant say Im ready-
    But we all will find out soon enough

JJack
    thinking deep like this at 6 am- is no good- I neep a cup a dunkin do-nuts coffee-:coffee: There,s a shop right near the boardwalk where I live- I think I,ll go watch the waves before the crowds hit the beach with thier freakin sun tan oils- -- ha- only kiddin- they,re all on vacation>igornance is bliss***

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

i AM GOING TO TOUCH WOOD FOR ALL YOU GUYS, BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

15. goofydrummer

goofydrummer Senior Member

fuck yea. such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there.

16. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I've come to the conclusion that people aren't afraid of dying per se. They are afraid of the fact that they don't know what is going to happen. One of the exercises that some Buddhists practice is meditating on death to lose their fear of it. I've read various interviews with people who have survived terminal illness who speak about how it changed their lives and changed their priorities. I've tried to take alot of that to heart so that I don't have to be terminally ill to appreciate life, and be gratefull for my daily existance. I just figure fuck it death is just an extention of the adventure that we call life and the illusion we call reality.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

17. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

When my father died he didn't have anything in order. He also lived in another province. At the end of it all my province and the one he lived in got more than their cut, as did the banks. Boy do they love dealing with dead clients. When all was said and done my brother and I received a very small amount of what he had.

A while ago I thought about death very often, multiple times a day. That isn't good. The idea of suffering bothers me more than anything else.

Sometimes I feel extremely claustrophobic in my own body. Like it is a burden I wish I could shed to avoid its many ailments, defects and problems. Death would provide this shedding and thus seems somewhat welcome in that regard. I read a long time ago that Hunter Thompson once said, "I would feel real trapped in this life if I didn't know I could commit suicide at any time." I share this sentiment. Not in a morbid way, but it is comforting to know that one could bring about their own death in order to avoid great suffering.

18. That's what I'm hoping for. More of the same but on a different plane (plain)! But seriously not something I think about. Too busy doing stuff.

19. Oops. That was a response to what you said JC.

20. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I believe that is true: people are afraid of what is going to happen after they die. The reason I believe that to be, is because people have a certain amount of guilt for what they have done in their lives. It's probably a good thing that the idea of heaven and hell exists. I think it keeps people in line.

I've had a near death experience when I received my liver transplant. When I came out of the anesthetic I went into a coma that lasted three weeks. During that time I had at least two code blues. I had no memory of them at all. I believe that when you die that's it. Game over. People who have had near death experiences and saw wonderful lights and all kinds of miraculous things only saw them because they were still aware of what was going on. They wanted to see a better place. I really believe there isn't a better place. And when life ends- that's it. I guess that sums up my opinion.

PAX