Are you afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by granny_longhair, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

@granny -Thankyou for the advice. My Aunt has a lawer, i will ask her for help. Or i'll look into legalzoom, maybe. :)

@Shale -Your first pic reminds me that i should wear clothes, just in case. lol

The second pic cracks me up! But your fuel idea is the most macabre of all. I wouldn't want to know that my fuel was coming from dead humans. It would probably smell bad as well, burning them. I read somewhere that mummies were used to fuel steam engines in the old days though. heh

Btw, i never got into Playboy. I got a Penthouse at 13 and rolled with that. :D I remember an old lady cartoon in there that was pretty funny also.

2. Shale

Shale ~

No, you don't burn the bodies, you convert them to methane, which burns with a nice blue flame, just like natural gas. Some waste recycling places are already taking organic debris and making methane. Bodies would be no worse.

Macabre would be converting dead ppl to Soylent Green.

3. Justin_Hale

That movie could come true very soon. :eek:

4. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

whats with all these dying threads..

5. Justin_Hale

I'm still here. :D

6. highdesert

highdesert Visitor

"good life, good death"

i have always been pro-hemlock, BUT i had my first hospice experience when my mom died, and i found it to be a very comforting experience in every way - for both of us.

be sure to get your Advanced Directives in order.

7. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

terrified. Its a shortcoming of mine that consumes me at times.

8. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I like the Quote; I am not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

9. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

fear of death by datarock is a silly song that sums up my silly fears

10. Sugarmagnolia_

Sugarmagnolia_ member

Eh, why worry.

If it's coming, it's coming. Why fret over the inevitable when you can fret over something you can CHANGE? Thats my opinion.

11. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Dying always worried me more when my kids were small, always wondered who would care for them if I popped my clogs. Now, although I'm not in any way ready to die I don't worry as much, it's pointless because oneday it will happen.

I made a will years back...makes everything easier in the UK...and there's money for my funeral. My husband only decided to make a will last year and he passed over February this year. In the UK if a person dies before they're 65 and have paid enough insurance stamps, the government gives a one off tax free payment of £2000...goes quite a way towards funeral costs. I didn't know this, it was the undertaker who told me.

I hope I'll be around for a good while yet, but when I do go my kids know there's to be as little fuss as possible. Never liked being the centre of attention.

12. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Have any of you guys had a near death experience? When I was 19 I went to the Dr. with the flu. Since my family & I was going on vacation he gave me a shot of penicillin. I was allergic. My blood pressure dropped to near zero and, according to my Dr. I neither heard nor saw anything at that point. WRONG!! I heard, I saw and I was in a place that that I have never been. So cool, so peaceful that the craziness going on around me was amusing. I didn't care - take me - I could spend an eternity like this.

I have no fear of death - dying yes. I am afraid my caregivers will worry about addiction to opiates and let me suffer. But death?? Let it come!!

[​IMG]

13. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

I haven't, but I have a friend who had an experience similar to yours. She was in an ugly motorcycle accident, and in the ER, before they actually started surgery, she heard the doctors discussing her, saying that even if she lived, she would never walk again, etc, etc.

It made her very angry, she says, and was her motivation during the physical therapy later. That was like, 30 years ago. It left her left leg about two inches shorter than her right, and today she walks with a strange, hippity-hop sort of limp, but she does walk.

14. liquidacrobat

liquidacrobat Member

One might think that it's time for some acid or 2C-E or something to clear some of the encrustations out.

15. spexxx

spexxx Member

If only we knew why we were here to begin with, maybe death wouldn't seem like such an issue. Fate, coincidence, choice? What puts us here, just our parents? Either way though, I don't think death has to be regarded as something negative or frightening, even though it may initially come off as such. I've definitely been frightened by the thought, but then it's like, what exactly is even making me afraid? Just what-if's, doubts, a clinging ego. Who knows what death has in store for us really. Might as well not make assumptions and just let it happen.

16. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Afraid to die, no. Afraid of how I will, yes.

I was diagnosed at 20 with cervical cancer. I was told that I would not have children and they recommended that I have a total hysterectomy and treatments. I chose to instead do multiple cone procedures and spent a year after that in an ashram as my body healed but my mind was not in the best place.

Ten years later I was still clear and had my two children and then decided to have a hysterectomy as precautionary as advised at the time.

Three years ago I went to my doctor as I was constantly feeling drained. I had tried to be more aware of diet, rest, meditation but was in a slump. I actually put it down to menopause and possibly I needed iron. I was diagnosed with lung cancer that was stage 4, inoperable and terminal. I was told that at best I would have a year, probably 6 months.

This was a very emotional time as I have two children and it was devastating to not only deal with the news but to also have to tell them that I was not well.

I started to make lists, I am a list maker. I had over six pages of things that needed to be addressed to make it alright for them. Some were minor, some major, some also needed to be done as they involved others like my niece and nephew who I was legal guardian for in the event of my sister not being OK.

All did get done, including my funeral, living will, power of attorney........the laundry list is endless.

I have gone through three extensive rounds of chemo, full radiation, cardio effusion due to the radiation and now am on tarceva daily as chemo.

I do very well for a dead person. :) I knew when they said less than a year that they were wrong. I continue to believe they are still wrong as it is not my time to go yet. It will be, but not yet.

I only fear the unknown of how. I do not wish to languish, be in pain that is not controllable or hemorrhage from my lungs as to suffocate that way I have seen someone do and it is not how I wish to go. I have no control over any of this other than to hope that I die no harder than I have to.

My wishes are all taken care of. Now the rest is not in my hands and that is where I leave it every day and each day I am thankful that I have another one to spend with those I love.

17. spexxx

spexxx Member

Nice, when did they tell you you had 6 months left?

18. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

It was 3 years ago in April. I type good for someone from the beyond. :)

I am fortunate, meds have improved, treatments have improved and I am stubborn.

1 person likes this.
  19. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

You are indeed fortunate. What a nice story :)

20. Doobie60

Doobie60 Senior Member

"I am not afraid of death, but I am in no hurry to die"-Stephen Hawking.
    That just about sums it up for me :D