Bible Questions? III

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by OlderWaterBrother, Apr 5, 2010.

1. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking that a number of people may have questions about what the Bible says and would like to have an answer.

For example:
    If God is love, how can hellfire be justified?
    Where did Cain's wife come from?
    When and how are the meek going to inherit the Earth? Etc.

Not to say I have all answers but I'll try and look it up.
    Also I'd be interested in the answers others have found for these and other Bible questions.

I'm thinking more of a place for reading different answers to questions, than a place for arguing over the answers. Although I can see some discussion of the answers.

2. OlderWaterBrother

Ordained for what purpose?

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What was God's relationship to man before the advent of the Jew?

4. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

Not really. It is impossible for women to be validly ordained, just as it is impossible for me to be pregnant.
    It isn't about wanting to be a priest, but about ability. Bishops are not able to ordain women, it is an impossibility. An I do not mean they cannot try, but all that happens is excommunications.

Priests also do not "represent" the Church, but as I said are an alter Christus. The priest acts "in persona Christi, literally "in the person of Christ". Ordained priests are ordained into Christ's preisthood of the order of Melchizedek.

All believers are priests, but of a non ordained, non vocation priesthood.

Mark 3:13 - Jesus selected the apostles "as He desired," according to His will, and not according to the demands of His culture. Because Jesus acted according to His will which was perfectly united to that of the Father, one cannot criticize Jesus' selection of men to be His priests without criticizing God.

John 20:22 - Jesus only breathed on the male apostles, the first bishops, giving them the authority to forgive and retain sins. In fact, the male priesthood of Christianity was a distinction from the priestesses of paganism that existed during these times. A female priesthood would be a reversion to non-Christian practices. The sacred tradition of a male priesthood has existed uncompromised in the Church for 2,000 years.

And do you see how well that is working out for them. After Pope Benedict's generous offer for an Anglican Use Ordinate, over 100 parishes are ready to convert en masse to the Catholic Church over this and the issue of homosexuality in the Church. Archbp. Williams of the C of E had basically said "see ya, won't miss ya" to those who wish to convert.

5. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

How heavy were the original stone tablets the ten commandments were engraved into?

6. Ukr-Cdn

So heavy not even God could lift them ;)

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Moses was buff.:D
    [​IMG]

8. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

9. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

There are women vicars in other denominations, I wasn't talking about Catholicism at that point.

They are ordained just like men, with the same responsibilities. And clearly they are capable of doing the job.

As far as Catholicism is concern, it's a rule that is ridiculous and just highlights the inequalities in the church.

10. OlderWaterBrother

Pretty much the same as after until Jesus.

11. OlderWaterBrother

Since you have not bothered to answer my question as to ordained for what, I will try to answer your question without the information.

First, all who are baptized are ministers, meaning that they now have the authority to go forth and preach the word to others.

But you seem to be upset that women can't be elders or ministerial servants in the Christian Congregation, which is true.

You seem to be looking at this from the standpoint that men alone decided this but remember that the positions assigned to us and were assigned by God and not by men and as such God would know what he was doing.

It was once said that if two angels were assigned jobs by God, one to lead nations and the other to sweep the streets, both would do their assigned jobs whole souled because that was their God given assignment. Both jobs have to be done, both jobs carry the honor of being God given and spending a lot of time thinking that you would rather be doing the other person's job would detract from doing your best job at what God had assigned you to do.

Besides, both men and women will be selected to be Priests and Kings over the Earth in the future and wouldn't God be more likely to choose those for that position that had done a good job with their assignment on the Earth?

12. TipsyGypsy

Wow, slightly harsh there OWB. Sorry that I didn't "bother" getting around to reply to you.

The fact is, in the more liberal churches, women can be ordained vicars, although in many conservative churches they continue to work as lay ministers or not at all.

Whether or not this was assigned by God, really doesn't matter to me. I go for equality not misogyny of sorts.

I asked whether it was in the Bible, because I really can't see why it makes a difference to men if they let woman in on it. It looks like it dates back to the dark ages, where men were the rulers and woman had to stay quiet and cook and clean for when their men came home from work.

13. Ukr-Cdn

It is not that they lack some sort of skill, but that by their very nature, any women ordination in the Church is not valid. It is not a sacrament. It isn't a real ordination. That is what I meant by impossible.

They may very well be capable of caring for people and running the administration and teaching of the faith, but the fact is that only men can be ordained into the sacramental priesthood of Christ. This isn't to say that women somehow suck, but that men and women are different.

My question for you Tipsy Gypsy is that can two things be equal but different?

14. thedope

They didn't always have God's covenant did they? Where was God before then?

15. thedope

e·qual [kwəl]
    adj
    1. identical: identical in size, quantity, value, or standard
    equal quantities of flour and sugar

2. with the same rights: having the same privileges, rights, status, and opportunities as others
    3. with even balance: evenly balanced between opposing sides
    hoping for a more equal match in the second game

4. equipped with necessary qualities: equipped with the necessary qualities or means to accomplish something
    didn't think he would be equal to the task

5. U.S. impartial: treating or affecting all things impartially
    marked all the students' papers with an equal pen

6. equivalent: having the same effect, application, or meaning as somebody or something else

n (plural e·quals)
    somebody or something equal: somebody or something equal in quality to another
    The computers are equals in speed, and this one costs less.

v (past and past participle e·qualed, present participle e·qual·ing, 3rd person present singular e·quals)
    1. vt do something equal to something else: to do, produce, or achieve something to the same standard or of the same value as something else
    And with that jump, she has equaled the world record.

2. vi become equal: to become identical
    It will all equal out in the end.

3. vt mathematics have same value as something else: to be equal to something else, usually in value
    Two plus two equals four.

[14th century. < Latin aequalis < aequus "equal, even"]

16. TipsyGypsy

I still don't see what you are getting at. Perhaps it is different over here, but in the Anglican Church woman are ordained and it is valid.

To me equality is about each having the choice. Let's say we were married :tongue: and you were the one to work and I was happy to stay home and look after our children. If staying at home was my choice, and not the result of being told that I cannot work, then yes I would say we were equal but different.

But, if you told me that I couldn't go to work, that I had to stay home and raise the kids, whilst you went out to work and bring home the money - I would not say we were equal.

17. sathead

sathead Banned

Should they marry also, once they are ordained. Just for the situation of the appropriate concern, that's really what the Catholic church is up against. No?

It's all or nothing.

18. TipsyGypsy

And again, I am not talking about the Catholic church.

19. sathead

sathead Banned

So, your feeling about the Catholic church is that the choices people make in it are too much told about for expectation of private over and against collective thought.

20. TipsyGypsy

I never brought up the catholic church. The question was, for the women who are ordained in Anglican churches, what would Gods view on this be, seeing as he apparently said that it should be for men only.