How do we know what is and isn't real?

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by 60s-70s-80s, Feb 28, 2010.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I am not a philosophy, but a philosopher. The effect of philosophy is in its' practice. The practice of philosophy is always the love of truth.

2. thedope

The aim of philosophy then is true love, hence, "how do we know what is real"

3. thedope

What I can report is that I am continually amazed at what they teach me.

4. tanasi

tanasi Member

In my opinion, you art so very articulate and I enjoy reading most of your post.

5. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

Dude.... You should try living with him!! :ack2:

6. tanasi

tanasi Member

I take it your his mate,heh? So does he stand in front of the mirror and make proclamations,hahaha, just joking.

Seriously, some of us have to stop and think about his post.I saw one that said something like "there is no prohabition on knowledge" and I thought yea for you.:D

Seems like a bright guy.

7. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

lol.... Yes, he's my mate. For over 3 years now. I must admit, I've tried and tried and tried to rattle this man's cage. It just doesn't work. I came verrry close once, but I felt so bad cuz I was wretched mean about it and I made absolutely no sense in the end anyway. PMS is a bitch.

thedope speaks like this at home, online and everywhere else we go, and if you choose to stop and think about what he's just said, you'll be much better off for it. Many people have a problem with his way of thinking because he never blames anyone for anything. As a society, we always want someone to be guilty, so it's reeeeeeally hard to see the truth in what he says if you're just looking for a scapegoat.

Anyway, finding my truth and being helped by this crazy fool has really changed my life for the better. I'm not a neurotic bitch any more. Just a bitch. thedope isn't a god, nor does he proclaim to be. He's just a dude that knows his way around life because he isn't afraid to think outside the box. He's also got a pretty wicked sense of humor, too. I like that most of all!:D

8. thedope

Racist commie bitch.

9. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

:iamwithstupid:

You'd better watch it! I know where you sleep!

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Are you saying the study of philosophy is about death?

11. MokshaMedicine

MokshaMedicine Banned

Gawd, that must be soo annoying.

12. thedope

No, I'm saying people neglect to attend to what is really important to them.
    Not enough reverence for the marvelous and tenuous opportunity of their own life. We get the idea that the fact you call me fat, is an important thing to invest your concern in. If you are not intending on killing me, none of the ranting and raving means a thing, so you may as well relax and quit yelling. Be sincere in your praise as well as your criticism.

13. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

Maaaaan you don't even know.... :D Living with such "perfection" is just complete sickness. lmao.... I have never, ever lived such a calm life. I've got some more work to do because I've got lazy brain syndrome, but this is as close to zen as I've ever been.

Though, I'm not giving him all the credit. He just showed me a different way and I found it to be enlightening.;)

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Some do, but I would say that most don't; unless you assert that they don't know what is really important to them. I would argue that this is not true either.

Anyone can learn this from a Psychology class, any one of a hundred self-help books, a number of religions or life itself; not to mention that this is a natural side-effect of aging.

15. thedope

I don't say they don't know, I said they ignore what is fundamentally important to them in favor of transient sensations. However, if they would address once and for all their fundamental concerns, the quality of transient sensation, is informed.
    Nothing is hidden, I do not claim to possess privileged information.

16. Zarathustra spoke

Zarathustra spoke Member

I was always fond of the "I think therefore I am" theory. But studying behaviorism has really caused me to think otherwise. Now I just remind myself that it's okay to not always have answers.

17. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

I'm with you, In fact, looking at a beautiful sky can be a wonderful sight, until you learn that it's the air pollution that makes so pretty. Sometimes, a little knowledge kills the party mood.

I still like some of the aspects of existentialism, and the study of philosophy does teach critical thinking. But, sometimes it's nice to do something that feels good and have no idea why. This is why little kids have so much more fun than adults.

18. thedope

It's not a little knowledge that kills the party mood, it is illusion that kills the party mood. It is the refraction of light that produces bands of color. Any particulate does this, not exclusively what we consider to be air pollution.

19. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Now I have to go study the relation of gasses and particulate matter in the layers of atmosphere as related to the refraction of the visible light spectrum. See, a little knowledge and now I'm all bummed out.

20. thedope

Perhaps if you do not value your own brilliance. The earth itself is a particulate in space.