How do we know what is and isn't real?

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by 60s-70s-80s, Feb 28, 2010.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Why does it matter? Pondering the question is like going to the amusement park and spending the day trying to figure out how the rides work.

2. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

but its fun figuring out how things work.

3. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

4. famewalk

famewalk Banned

Excuse me. I'm a bit dazzled here. What is the difference between the conditioning of the material facts of social progress unto Doing in that Conscious way and the Constraints upon the artists will to free agency upon the promises we feel? Too bad. Something like: the difference between a stimulus package AND a subsidy.:D:confused::prettyplease:

5. famewalk

famewalk Banned

Does anyone have the knowledge about Friday the 13th? Is it possible that that is the most numerous of dates for Friday during the months of the year? Taking the day over the many centuries is there necessarily more of them than Fridays the twelfth? You know how they started it? by simply deciding that Christmas should have been first of all in Emperor Heidron's reign a Sunday the 25th.

This disproves Heidegger's theory of Care.

6. MokshaMedicine

MokshaMedicine Banned

Reality is just a dream too. Don't you think it can end in an instant?

As complex as it is, nothing is a simpler answer in this than Physics and Biology. These days (and it is just) if you don't trust those you're really silly. That isn't to say that they can explain everything you experience. Definitely not. But it helps you understand the physical world in which you live in. This physical world is not even that real compared to where it came from. We are fragile. Our body's experience is going to end and may end abruptly.

Is this really a philosophical question? Any philosophical answers are quite useless, they do not address what is actually real. Perhaps the philosophical discussion is about the word real.

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Philosophy is simply, the love of truth.

8. famewalk

famewalk Banned

To Plato, that truth is unknown. :D To Hegel, the time is ripe for Philosophy. But Plato wonders again. Is virtue for that only an opinion of the few in an undemocratic (democratic so-called)world?

You should read: 'the End of Education' by Postman.:D

9. thedope

Philosophy:

14th century. < Anglo-Norman philosophre , variant of Old French philosophe < Latin philosophus < Greek philosophos "lover of knowledge" < philos "loving" + sophia "learning, wisdom"]

The question of the existence of reality or "truth", is born of a psychotic break, "a split mind". We doubt the existence of discerned truth, the realty of our own self, in spite of the preponderance the evidence.

10. famewalk

famewalk Banned

And we never grow Old.

11. sathead

sathead Banned

Good one.:p

12. thedope

It helps to keep from bumping into things.

13. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Philosophy is the systematic abuse of language and reason. There is nothing wrong with the search for Truth, but, finding it serves no real purpose. Nothing will change and no one will believe you (even if you could explain it).

Whether something is Real or not doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if your talking dog is real or not, it's what he tells you to do that's important. Everyone perceives reality to be something different, it's how we act on that perception that determines our Virtue.

14. thedope

Being conflicted diffuses effort. Knowledge of what is, is useful. What is useful is a matter of timing.

15. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

1) Can you explain your philosophy to the 20 somethings here in a way that they can understand it, will believe it and can use it to make the rest of their lives better?

2) Why, in the 21st century, haven't we narrowed the field of philosophers down to the one who is right and stopped wasting time teaching those who are wrong?

16. famewalk

famewalk Banned

Can we tell the difference between innate intuition and the true intuition of a consciounable judgement. Sometimes they don't care like they used to.

I guess thedope is saying whew now for the response making timing.

17. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

If something is innate, shouldn't it also be true; and is the innate inescapable? Can I make a judgment that is antithetical to my being?

I have no idea what this means, and neither does google. Can someone explain?

18. thedope

You would have to ask them.

Look around you. Are there many you recognize as sincere? People simply do not take things seriously because they feel, today is not my day to die, they have time to procrastinate.

19. thedope

You always make me sweat because I am dim witted, but this time I had an appointment.

20. MokshaMedicine

MokshaMedicine Banned

Thedope has not provided a full overview of his philosophical beliefs. I know a lot of us would find that intriguing but it's a sort of silly idea. What he has provided in terms of input on several topics has been useful.

Laugh out loud.