Crystals wrapped in hemp?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Sunburst, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Does anyone have any idea how to make that part of a hemp necklace where a crystal is all wrapped up in hemp? Like this or anything of a similar effect:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cyIRCmuiuu4/SrwbU4wLuuI/AAAAAAAAAIo/QxwDneDC4k8/s320/OrangeHemp3.jpg

I have some beautiful stones I would love to put in some necklaces but I don't want to drill holes in them, and I've been curious about this style for a while now. I don't know what the style is called, if anything, so it's awfully hard to google it. Any help is much appreciated :)

Hugs, love, and sunshine!

2. ice-nine

ice-nine Member

I don't personally know how to do it; but I'd imagine if you Google 'macrame' you'd find something. Most hemp jewellery is based on macrame knots.

Hope you can find what you are looking for. :)

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Thank you, having a word to search for makes things much easier! I didn't know *that* was macrame (ooh, bad hippie! ;) ), I'll go have a look!

4. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

Let me know if you find anything, I just broke up this sweet green quartz crystal.

5. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

I am an avid macremer and I am going to try this in a couple minutes i'll let you know my findings

6. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have made 'baskets' for crystals to wear around the neck so they point upwards instead of down (like when you tie them on a string) so you can take them out easily too.

Starts with 6 hemp strings divided into 3 pairs and plait them until it fits length-wise, making one tight knot on each end .. then knot the single strings together like one with the next ... and go round knotting crosswise so you get kinda pretty flexible net in any length you want ... make a tight knot at the bottom.

7. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

Ok I figured it out, I will post step by step instructions for everyone. with pictures.

8. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

Start with 3 strings, tie them in the middle
    View attachment 44714
    Tie 2 strings together repeat for other 2 sets
    View attachment 44715
    Continue with method
    View attachment 44716
    After 3rd round measure the stone you want in and adjust the tightness of your knots to the stone
    View attachment 44717
    It should fit snuggly without any large spaces where it may slip out.
    View attachment 44718
    Finish with tie a knot with all the strings to secure the stone and then continue with piece as normal. You can cut extra or add strings as needed.

Hope this helps

9. boomkaknz

boomkaknz Guest

Hey do you think you can do a youtube video? i have tried looking all over and cant find a 'how to' guide. this is the closest thing!!

help appreciated :)

10. MonicaV2544

MonicaV2544 Guest

Wow, thank you! I made something with a similar idea but I ended up crocheting so much hemp around my crystal that it weights down the whole piece. I'm excited to try your pattern. Perhapps it will work better for what I'm looking for.

:daisy:Monica:daisy:

11. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

Yeah for sure I can make a tutorial video, I was thinking about making a hemp tutorial site anyways.

Is there any other things you would like me to go over?

12. DreadHead422

DreadHead422 Guest

Thanks Lizmarie, couldnt find how to do this ANYWHERE and it came out perfect

13. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

Your welcome :) I love to hear success stories

14. Octopus.Tenticals

Octopus.Tenticals Member

I have been wanting to learn this for so long, I have to try now. Thank you!!

15. griffkelley

griffkelley Guest

Lizmarie! Did you ever end up making that YouTube video? I'm having trouble following the pictures, probably because I'm pretty new to the hemp jewelry thaaang. Hopefully you get this! :)

16. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Wow,you rock so MUCH !!
    I'm doing this tomorrow !

17. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

personally i think unless you tied it really tight w/ many alternating square knots, that the stone will eventually fall out. hemp loosens to much. plus, where the strings are conjoining and it is just the single string, it will rat up and look like crap.
    personally suggest using wire, and making a bail on top that you could attach onto a hemp necklace.

18. mini wallflower

mini wallflower Guest

Finally!...exactly what i was looking for!...Thanks so much:)

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

^ That is exactly right. I have made necklaces from various stones (some crystals included) I have found and natural ones I've purchased. Using cord, much less hemp, does NOT last...especially after putting that amount of time into it, it falls apart and/or looks like crap. Perhaps a stone could be completely enclosed in a type of macrame "cup". However, wrapping the stone with silver wire and making a wrap at the "top" where a thong (or whatever) can be threaded through is the most lasting and best (imo) setting.

20. lxd

lxd Member