Quaaludes, closest drug currently around to Quaaludes

Discussion in 'Other Drugs' started by roxyblue95, Feb 19, 2010.

1. roxyblue95

roxyblue95 Member

I know a few older people that used ludes in the 70s and 80s and they all say it was the best, but what does it feel like?
    Also I know its not around anymore but drug or what kind drug is out there that feels the most similar to Quaaludes, cause I really am very curious..?

1 person likes this.
  2. rcable

rcable Member

- INTELLIGENCE BRIEF -
    - QUAALUDE LEMMON 714 MIMIC TABLETS (CONTAINING DIAZEPAM) -
    - SURPRISING PERSISTENCE -

[SIZE=-1]The recent reports of Quaalude mimic tablets (containing diazepam) in Lexington Park, Maryland (Microgram Bulletin 2006;39(8):99; see Photo 6) and on the U.S./Canadian border near Oroville, Washington (Microgram Bulletin 2006;39(9):115; no photo) mark the latest two submissions in a now 25 year history of such tablets. Manufacture of authentic (pharmaceutical) Quaalude Lemmon 714 tablets (containing methaqualone) was discontinued by Lemmon Pharmaceuticals on November 15th, 1983; however, Quaalude counterfeit, mimic, and fake tablets had been in common circulation since the mid-1970s. [“Counterfeits” contained methaqualone, “mimics” contained one or more of a variety of controlled substances (not including methaqualone), and “fakes” contained no controlled substances.] The licit and illicit Quaaludes submitted to forensic laboratories between about 1975 and 1980 were primarily Rorer 714s, but the William H. Rorer Company sold the Quaalude rights to Lemmon Pharmaceuticals in 1979, and by mid-1980 most Quaaludes (both licit and illicit) were Lemmon 714s. Amazingly, illicit Lemmon 714s were being seized on the streets before the licit product was available at pharmacies. This reflected the enormous extent of Quaalude abuse, which rivaled marijuana abuse in 1980 and 1981, and in fact the Lemmon 714 tablet is by far the most illicitly replicated pharmaceutical product in the history of the Drug Enforcement Administration, with at one time over 250 different exemplars in the Reference Collection at the DEA Special Testing and Research Laboratory.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Extensive efforts by the DEA Office of Diversion Control in the late 1970s and early 1980s led to increasingly restrictive international controls on methaqualone and its precursors, and methaqualone was transferred to Schedule I of the U.S. Controlled Substances Act in 1984. As stocks of methaqualone dried up worldwide, clandestine manufacturers quickly settled on diazepam as the controlled substance of choice for Lemmon 714 mimics, and virtually all such tablets submitted to forensic laboratories since 1990 were determined to contain only diazepam. Initial variability in tablet compositions was a serious concern - some of the early mimics contained as much as 300 milligrams of diazepam, and overdoses and deaths from combining these Quaaludes mimics and alcohol were a major problem in some areas (quite notably in Atlanta, Georgia).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Currently, it is believed that Lemmon 714 mimics are still being sporadically produced, probably outside the United States. However, it is also thought that many of the Lemmon 714 mimics being seized by law enforcement authorities may actually be from 20 - 25 year old stashes (that is, recovered by previously incarcerated Quaalude traffickers upon their releases from prison). Oddly, despite ample published information to the contrary, most of the “testimonials” concerning Quaaludes (that is, Lemmon 714 tablets) on the various drug-abuse websites make it clear that the users still believe that they are ingesting genuine Quaaludes (which is quite unlikely). The last report in Microgram of authentic or counterfeit Quaaludes was in 1981, and the last submissions of such tablets to the DEA Special Testing and Research Laboratory were in 1985. Diazepam is currently classified as Schedule IV.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]The following list are all the citations in Microgram or Microgram Bulletin of Quaalude Lemmon 714 mimic tablets containing diazepam or (less commonly) a mixture of diazepam and another controlled substance.* Not included are approximately another dozen citations of “Quaaludes containing diazepam” that did not contain logo information or photos.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1980;13(2):16 - Philadelphia Police Department Crime Laboratory
    1980;13(4):50 - New Jersey State Police North Regional Laboratory (Little Falls)
    1980;13(6):102 - DEA Southeast Laboratory (Miami)
    1980;13(7):113 - DEA South Central Laboratory (Dallas)
    1980;13(6):124 - DEA Southeast Laboratory (Miami)
    1980;13(6):161 - Southeast Missouri Regional Crime Laboratory (Cape Girardeau)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1981;14(2):10 - Philadelphia Police Department Crime Laboratory
    1981;14(4):37 - Regional Forensic Laboratory (Painesville, Ohio)
    1981;14(5):54 - Philadelphia Police Department Crime Laboratory[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1982;15(10):165 - Metro-Dade Police Department Crime Laboratory (Miami)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1984;17(12):176 - DEA Northeast Laboratory (New York)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1991;24(10):244 - Southeast Missouri Regional Crime Laboratory (Cape Girardeau)
    1991;24(12):283 - Aurora Police Department Crime Laboratory (Colorado)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1992;25(3):42 - San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Forensic Science Laboratory (California)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1993;26(10):221 - Northern Illinois Police Crime Laboratory (Highland Park)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1995;28(8):235 - Mansfield Police Department Laboratory (Ohio)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1996;29(8):199 - University of Massachusetts Drugs of Abuse Laboratory[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1997;30(2):26 - Regional Crime Laboratory at the Indian River Community College (Florida)
    1997;30(6):115 - Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Crime Laboratory (Nashville)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]2006;39(8):99 - Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division (Pikesville)
    2006;39(9):115 - DEA Western Laboratory (San Francisco)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] * Notes: All issues of Microgram and Microgram Bulletin published prior to January 2003 are Law Enforcement Restricted.[/SIZE]

hxxp://www.justice.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/mg0107/mg0107.html

Microgram readers are familiar that diazepam is a adulterant/mimic agent used in many types of counterfeit pills being pressed. Alps, vikes, OCs... you name it and someone will put :chillpill: into the recipe sooner or later.

3. mandeyguy

mandeyguy Member

Dude, you are kinda young to know a whole lot about Ludes, especially the714s. I guess
    I know too much, I'm an old head.

4. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

ethaqualone is an RC that's available online right now (methaqualone are quaaludes) - some people say its inactive, yet some people are saying its good.

5. mandeyguy

mandeyguy Member

I have a buddy who can have things synthesized in a proffesional
    lab. He had a couple batches of 99% pure methaqualone made up and
    it was almost not any good--very weak, bad hangover. Then we had etaqualone
    made up and it stunk. I read that the real 714s had some other chems in them along with the methaqualone. Did you ever hear that?

6. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

LUCKY - about your chemist friend, but I've never read that about the real quaaludes; I haven't read much about them though.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Member

I guess I qualify as an "older person" and have had both real and fake. The real ones remind of taking a lot of Soma. You get sort of numb very quickly then inhibitions go away. Of course you would go to sleep immediatly if you weren't actively doing something. Quaaludes were lots of fun, but didn't last long...30 minutes tops.

We def looked for the stamp on them. They looked like big white Rolaids. The fake ones were terrible and either didn't do much or even made you sick. If you didn't come on to a lude within 10 minutes or so you knew it was fake.

That article says they were highly abused in 1980 but I recall mid 70's they were everywhere then suddenly gone. By the time 1980 came no one did them anymore, at least people I knew.

1 person likes this.
  8. shermin

shermin Bazooka Tooth

ethylquaalone [sp?] is supposed to be virtually identical, and that's out there.

aside from that, and other barbituates, you've got benzos which are muuuuch safer.

1 person likes this.
  9. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Did some Mandrax before which was 250mg of methqualone plus a couple mg's of some other drug..mexican ludes they called them (Mandrax),and they are still produced in South Africa and maybe one othe rcountry,dunno,but in South Africa for sure,and are widely abuse there with crystal meth also...weird huh...Mandrax was cool but I don't remember much becuase I passed out after a while,dunno any current pahrms that compare to ludes...

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

dun dun dun dun...

[​IMG]

I cant hear you, im on LUDES>>.:p

11. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

lol..SGT. Friday, poster boy and television propaganda man for the LAPD..lol..That guy was so uptight he needed to be on Ludes,or something..lol...the way he chain smoked and was always obsessed with the time and weather..lol..i think he was on amphetamines and was all spun out and on a wacked out cycle of stating the time and current temps in LA..lol...

12. CrispyCritter1976

CrispyCritter1976 Guest

Real Quaaludes were around until the early 80's. Some boots were not diazepam. They seemed to be thorazine or something similar. I used to smoke ludes. They were great. Other products.. Mandrax (with benadryl) wrapped in aluminum foil. SomaFac Forte was a cap. There was one more. Methaqualone would knock you out without knocking you down. It is very difficult to make. Only a highly skilled chemist can do it. Otherwise the illegal market would be loaded with black market stuff. You can't go back. But coming of age in the late 70's was a blast.

13. cthulhu

cthulhu Member

I've heard of clandestine methaqualone labs. Not sure how many of these enterprising chemists are on the level but actually finding a connect is probably difficult. Harmony Korine claimed to have known a guy who would manufacture it, and was consuming large quantities of the stuff a few years ago during the Fight Harm project when he was perpetually blacked out and picking fights with strangers on the street while David Blaine recorded it.

I haven't done these, but from what I've heard comparable drugs might be GHB/GBL or flunitrazepam (Rohypnol)*. To an extent probably also benzodiazepines? Non-benzodiazepines?

*Some people think of these as "roofies" or "date rape drugs" which is an invention of the media, and yet another testament to the fact that the media can completely fabricate information about drugs for the sake of a story ("pharm parties" are a real trend/face eater guy was on bath salts/heroin is bad) and 99% of people will believe it.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

they have methylmethaqualone now as well as etaqualone

15. TatsTat2dd

TatsTat2dd Guest

LOL thanx for all the info-I would love to have been able to try Quaaludes, I suppose the closest nowadays are Benzo's and Soma, I have enjoyed all the different Benzo's and muscle relaxants and find that Xanax and Soma combined are the greatest!

JOEDI likes this.
  16. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

Ludes were huge when I was going to school in mid to late 70's. I do remember the 714s, only doing a half with about 4-5 beers, really nice mellow high, although quite the sedative. I knew at least 4 guys who wrecked their cars on ludes, of course they all were over doing it, taking 2 and 3 714s at a time. But since it was killing alot of young people, the Law drop down hard on it, which made my summer of selling Mushroom juice, not so easy, lol!

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I remember those... 714's :2thumbsup: "six pack in a pill"

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Rorer 714 s!!!

FTW!!!

What memories...late '70's.

19. Glory days

Glory days Guest

I'm with crispy critter & the rest of you old hippies - I remember the 714's- at least what they looked like not much after swallowing one. Oh for the good old days. There has to be something said bout growing up in that era- u didn't hear bout mass school shootings and all the other craziness going on nowadays. I believe it has to have something to do with everyone just being mellowed out on their buzz of choice- or mb it was happening & I was too stoned to remember . The last time I had any were early 80's & have no clue as to what they compare to nowadays- I don't mess with anything theses bathtub chemists are creating nowadays. :daisy::sunny:

20. zaborav

zaborav Guest

Etaqualone was a popularly prescribed hypnotic at one stage, 60s - 70s I guess. I think the brandname was ethinazone or similar. Another was almost identical but began with an 'a'. They were 350/400mg, low potency just like methaqualone. I know that the closest thing has not yet been mentioned. Etaqualone feels very like 714 but there is an actual isomer of methaqualone now on sale from one or maybe two chrmists on the net. With my rather limited chem knowledge (I am better with theoretical pharmacology) this would if I am correct more or less replicate methaqualone. It looks like it would be very difficult to convert into the real thing but I plan on trying this as it looks better than the already fine etaqualone. I have never heard of anyone saying eta is no good. At one time they were the most requested sleepers in France. My own experience is that they are more difficult to fight off the sleep urge than methaqualone so the hour of brilliance they used to give is pretty much impossible to stay conscious for The isomer is expensive but as I said looks promising. When I can afford $900 (being on disability that may take a while) I will try at various dosages and report back.
    As for synthesis, it is not as difficult as made out and no ptecursors attract attention. There are seversl methods, at least two described by Rhodium in great detail. It is the fact that potency is very low - compare Lendormin and Halcion at 0.25mg to methaqualone at 300 or 250mg) that means quantity is by necessity very large...
    Finally yes, alprazolam plus 500mg Prosoma brand - best alp is Galenika Ksalol, much better than Xanax - is excellent especially an hour after drinking white grapefruit; but there is no comparison to the effect of Mandrax, a far better drug than 714. It is actually 250mg methaqualone plus 25mg diphenhydramine and was far more sought aftrr than Quaalude. Prescription wise there is only Canada. All South African Mandies are illicitly made. At least I have trawled the net and not come up with any current legal manufacturer there. Unless anyone from there knows differently!