Oxidizing of Ephedrine to Methcathinone with H2O2 30%, false recipe?

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by sesgoy25, Jan 9, 2010.

1. sesgoy25

sesgoy25 Member

OK, so it has come to my attention that there is a Methcathinone synthesis in the FAQ section. Not only is all the steps and required materials not even necessary but it is also a very outdated, over examined, waste of time. I mean no offense to the poster of that synthesis but it is truly out-dated and easier methods have been discovered. I will now explain possibly the easiest synthesis of Methcathinone.

Materials, Prices, Locations
    1) Pseudoephedrine / Ephedrine (MUST BE D- , NOT L-) - Prices vary upon places, laws, restrictions, etc. No more than $9 - Drug Stores
    2) 30% H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) - No more than $5. - Drug Store
    3) Microwave - Should already own one. No more than $25 for a cheap one. - Grocery Stores

That's all there is to it. For those interested in a little chemistry here's how it works:

Pseudoepherine / Ephedrine has a polar HO held on by a carbon strand. The microwave is set to a frequency that allows the movement and volatization of water molecules. The H2O2 naturally wants to oxidize, this causes the oxidization of pseudoephedrine / ephedrine to Methcathinone. It is honestly as simple as that.

Processes
    1) Combine the pseudoephedrine / ephedrine and H2O2 in a microwave safe dish.
    2) Throw the solution in the microwave.
    3) Cook 11mins/mole of pseudoephedine / ephedrine used

That's it. The water molecules are forced to move and the H2O2 begins oxidizing almost instantly. It would also be wise to take out the mixture and swirl it around a few times while cooking.

Dangers
    1) The only danger to this synthesis is that the RXN can be a little volatile this is why you should take out every now and then and swirl it around a little.

Yields
    This isn't the most high yielding method. But it is the quickest and fastest. While it posses a little danger during the RXN, it really isn't anything to worry about to much. Using 2.4g of pseudoephedrine, I was able to get about 1.5g back after 2 acetone washes. So a pure product with a 50% yield. The original yield was of 2.0g but with a little inferior product.

Thought that the recipe? It does not work? I have read that the process is theoretical, but in practice does not work. He says few details, after the reaction, the extraction process? Water + NaOH to pH 12 and then A / B estraction?

There any alternative method of potassium permanganate is difficult to achieve, sodium hypochlorite really work?

Thanks...

2. sesgoy25

sesgoy25 Member

Well, nobody knows anything about it, tell SWIM experience...1.5g ephedrine extracted from the plant (recrystallized pale orange)mix in 150ml of H2O2 30%, was cooked as the recipe says, cooled, and then rest until 24h there was no bubble, then to PH12, turned pale yellow liquid, then added 150ml of Xylene, Xylene separated and mixed with H2O + HCl with pH 4. Agitated 5 min separated the water and slowly evaporated.

The result slightly yellow white crystals. Apparently Ephedrine again 1.2gr amount.

That said, it does not work.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

=) hot germ free Pseudo. I dont see much a reaction, but eh' its a fun molecule to work with..

4. LSDMIKE

LSDMIKE Member

word is that you can make 4-MMC from cat
    anyway it dont work with ephedrine

5. Droid

Droid Guest

Yields
    This isn't the most high yielding method. But it is the quickest and fastest. While it posses a little danger during the RXN, it really isn't anything to worry about to much. Using 2.4g of pseudoephedrine, I was able to get about 1.5g back after 2 acetone washes. So a pure product with a 50% yield. The original yield was of 2.0g but with a little inferior product.
    [/QUOTE]
    for the most part bleach is just as safe to use as h2o2 and more effective. you jsut have to wait till it all reduces to salt and water. ... not using a lot helps. also heat. which is nessesary anyway

6. alex211

alex211 Member

okay this hasnt been resolved, is it BS or not?

7. jammon

jammon Member

you kids are talking nonsense

8. jammon

jammon Member

H202 is more easier to get than Permanganate, but if one could use it to oxidize ephedrine and make Cat, they wouldn't post teks requiring Permanganate or chromates. So I guess that recipe is bogus :S.
    Wish some chemist came here and verified this

9. livingdeadboy

livingdeadboy Guest

Things missing...

Ephedrine:pseudoEphedrine: H2o2 (Ratio)
    Variations in temperature and power of microwave...

Someone fill in the blanks :p

10. Psychotropic3D

Psychotropic3D Members

How would one take methcathinone? Can u smoke it?