Virginia Woolf

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by knottygrl, Jan 1, 2010.

1. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

Anyone dig her stuff? I find her amazing, her language is so rich and poetic. Each line is wrapped delicately in beautiful metaphoric paper. I enjoy the book 'Orlando', in which she wrote a 'biography' about herself, breaking the constraints of gender roles and sexuality as were perceived during her time.

Even if a person is not a classic literature junkie he/she would enjoy her detailed work. She was so talented...and had such a reverence for poetry and poets.

2. theraccoonhat

theraccoonhat Member

I completely agree! I did a module about her in university, her stuff is incredible.
    Just a note, Orlando is actually about Vita Sackville-West who Woolf had an affair with.
    I love "Each line is wrapped delicately in Beautiful metaphoric paper". So true :)

3. genericusername

genericusername Member

i dont know who that is

4. Reality is BS

Reality is BS Member

I have all her work downloaded to my Kindle but haven't gotten into it yet. I've been on a Mark Twain and metaphysics kick lately.

5. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Totally agree, 'Mrs Dalloway' took my breath away. Each sentence was so carefully ordered and written for just the right effect, before opening up to be a brilliant (and as we all know a classic) story! :)

6. timekeeper101

timekeeper101 Member

Everyone should read Mrs Dalloway. The book was truly revolutionary when it came out: all takes place in one day, and the notion of shifting from consciousness to consciousness was altogether new. Woolf was a genius.

7. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

I took a VW survey course in college. I haven't been the same person since. In fact, I all but stopped writing for a few years afterward because I had to come to terms with the fact that I was incapable of ever attaining anything close to that level of prose. I don't think I've read anyone since, who could get out of a novel's way as much as Virginia Woolf. Read Jacob's Room and To the Lighthouse and then Orlando and take out the byline and it's like you've read three different brilliant authors. It's actually kind of unsettling.

8. MSRosetti

MSRosetti Member

I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf ;-)

9. JayK

JayK Members

Excellent! I like her also after reading only one short story. Kew Gardens was the one I came across. I really enjoyed that one.

10. Ladybird321

Ladybird321 Members

I like her works, Mrs Dalloway is my favourite! Orlando is also very good as for me.

11. quark

quark Parts Unknown

This sums up why I can't get into her writing. To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway are the only titles of hers that I've read, but they both seemed to drag on. It saddens me that I can't enjoy her work as the stories themselves are great...