y do we ned scool? (A famous poet's reply)

Discussion in 'Free School' started by QueerPoet, Dec 30, 2009.

1. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

thank you for your kind words QP :)

hope you have a happy year

2. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I wish you the same. :)

--QP

3. aydinerro

aydinerro Member

I left school, graduated early...shit was getting boring. and I suppose I lurk late.

Not sure about the jazz june part....how does one go about "jazzing june"?

4. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

A very good question. And open to multiple interpretations. So your guess is as good as mine. Given that the poet was writing about what it was like to be African American during the latter half of the 20th century: I think she meant that too many young black folks gave up on society, and decided to live fast and die young. The poet saw formal education as being the only way out of the ghetto. Which is how she managed to get out. Poetry was her salvation.

But my guess is that she felt disappointed that so many of her people felt self-destruction (hard drugs, crime, promiscuity, dropping out of high school, etc.) was their only option. But who really knows? Maybe she was just talking about listening to a really cool Miles Davis tune on a hot summer night. :)

--QP

5. The Center

The Center Member

Real as in it exists, yes. But my brother, it is called VIRTUAL REALITY. We live in VIRTUAL REALITY. It is not some strange sci-fi thing plugged in your skull, it is more real than that, but it still is artificial!

6. The Center

The Center Member

Tragic? Jeez. Hell no, the guy LIVED. Sure he made some bad decisions, but he actually had a life! He could have done so much more though if he just got himself some seeds...

Why do you think I said Mr.highlyeducated will only last a week? Well he was Mr.Higlyeducated, and he managed to live longer than a week though.
    IT ISN'T EASY, BUT THAT IS THE POINT, WE GOT TOO COMFORTABLE!

For those who have not grown up in the wild, it is a very difficult transition, and that transition is difficult BECAUSE of school. We should be living in the wild, this will cause a few things:
    A lower population of Humans.
    Happier lives, albeit often shorter, but fuller. (Who wants to live till 120 but have 1/10th the experience some 18y/old kid who shunned society and lived for a few years in the wild, never reaching 30. I'll rather die at 30 and live than die at 120 and be bored all my life. If I have to do a 9-5 for even a year of my life, I'll kill myself right now.)
    It wouldn't be so hard, you will be fitter, you will be wiser about the wild, and you will know what to do in difficult situations.

If someone goes into the wild at random, he will have the total skill and knowledge of the wild that a 2 year old has who have grown up there. (If that.)
    This lack of experience must be kept in mind.

7. The Center

The Center Member

The problem is you can't be selective in School, it is quite forced on you. It is like all the shit or none of it. I found the greatest knowledge and wisdom I have on my own.

8. The Center

The Center Member

The only difference is that Prison is the same, but more extreme. A simple kiss can get you in detention in most schools. In school, Rise and shine at 6AM to get to school, and lights out at 10, unless you have more work to do.

The only reason school isn't as harsh as prison is because:
    A: No parent will allow it, we will have INSTANT rebellion.
    B: Because we need teachers, and nobody will EVER teach if that was the system. You try and get an ex-con to become a prison guard.
    C: School isn't for imprisoning people physically, it is for imprisoning people mentally, before they even get the chance to figure out how screwed it is, and by the time they can, they are already mentally imprisoned.
    D: You do know that prison for under 18's is not nearly like what you described, well this is under 18's.

Prison is just the extreme form of the same system that everyone lives in.
    We can see it like so:
    Prison: Most obvious, physical and mental imprisonment.
    School: Less obvious, more subliminal, mainly mental but also physical imprisonment.
    Society as we know it: Least obvious, as we are so used to it, mental and physical enslavement.

They first imprison us, through school, and then give us a little more freedom, and we are happy with it, because we know, if we rebel and want more freedom, we end up in even worse imprisonment, prison itself.
    And the worst is, it is imprinted upon us from the day we can make sentences, that living without money, living without those ties, will imprison us farther. We all fear more imprisonment, that is the reason for all problems. All we want is freedom, that is the paradise we all crave.

Oh, and to the one who said you can only be programmed in school if you chose to be...

Nothing that passes through you leaves you unaffected, however subtle it may be.

9. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

^^ great thoughts, i agree with most

10. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

yeah, i agree with The Center

11. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Oh yes you can. I spent three years in college, and I tuned out more than 75% of the nonsense that was being taught. And I am hardly exceptional. Also, I taught myself how to write a sonnet before I ever set foot in a creative writng class. There are many forms of school/education: Public libraries, television (yep, folks learn how to paint, write, make furniture, fix up old houses, cook, etc. -- thanks to public television), and now the internet.

--QP

12. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

It certainly was tragic for his mother, father, and sister. Also, you don't take into account how painful it is to literally starve to death. The dude suffered big time. That seems pretty tragic to me. BTW, you also have overlooked that America (once upon a time) had plenty of beautiful wilderness. Guess what? People decided to come here, and ruined a good thing. I say leave the wilderness alone. Otherwise, there will come a day when the wilderness will no longer exist. The planet is close enough to extinction as it is. Some things are best left alone. We cannot own the entire earth. But we can work on improving some of the damage we have caused. That would be the right thing to do.

--QP

13. The Center

The Center Member

Don't blame him for his families unconciousness and attachment.

Suffering is part of life, deal with it. As a surfer I understand you cannot have that ultimate 10ft ride without taking the beatings. You can't avoid it. Suffering needs to be there. It is our fear of suffering that made us do whatever we can to get out of natural selection, and that fucked up the system.

The bolds: My point exactly.
    The wilderness is supposed to be EVERYTHING, and by making cities, we ARE fucking it up, duh! So where are we supposed to live? IN THE FUCKING WILDERNESS! We have taken ourselves out of natural selection, and look at what happened!

Improve the damage? Yea, by adding a little bit of natural selection, hehe. Fuck all this modern shit, pussies need to die.
    Sounds harsh but my friend, that is the way it is supposed to be. If you want freedom you are going to have to pay for it. But trust me, it is worth it.

Suffering is a necessary part of life, it separates the pussies from the determined ones.

I bow only to God and his Creation. May no human imprison me! May I be eternally subjected to the will of God, and let him decide what should come of me! I know whatever he does he does because he loves me!

14. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Dude, this comment is beyond offensive. I won't dignify it with a lengthy reply.

--QP

15. _Dahlia_

_Dahlia_ Member

To each his own, but for me, the more schooling I have, the more options I'll have later. I want a laid-back career that I'll actually enjoy.