y do we ned scool? (A famous poet's reply)

Discussion in 'Free School' started by QueerPoet, Dec 30, 2009.

1. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

We Real Cool

(THE POOL PLAYERS.
    SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL)

We real cool. We
    Left school. We

Lurk late. We
    Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
    Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
    Die soon.

--Gwendolyn Brooks

2. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

3. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

I wouldn't leave school to be cool. I'd leave school for liberty. To be programmed no longer...

4. Xac

Xac Visitor

That's stupid, i do not see why one can not have both.

5. Xac

Xac Visitor

Primary and secondary schooling are bullshit, in my experiance, however tertiary education is not something to be so completely dismissed.

6. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

i dare say. although i have doubts over whether going to university, working your life away until retiring at seventy is really worth it. Education seems to make things a little more comfortable, but not any more fulfilling.

7. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

We are creatures of learning, that is why we have brains. We Grow as individuals as we learn. Education is a must in a progressive society. Altho the education system sucks. It is better then living in ignorance.

School helps ppl learn to scicialize and get along with different peronalities. Ppl really need to know how to read, write and do numbers.

Public Schools per se' need work, but they are necessary. You need to know how to read so you can fill out a work application, or welfare applications. You need to know how to count so they wont short you on your food stamps or wages. You need to speak properly so they dont deport you or send you Gauntonamo Bay for being a terrorist. You need to know geography so you will know where gauntonamo bay is.

We are made for 'working' not sitting on our ass's or swinging from trees... other wise we would not have thumbs. Human beings need shelter, clothing, food, water and medicine. Who will proved these things for us if we dont learn how to survive in the world.

I went to the 7th grade. I regreted not finishing school so I could have provided a better life for my children. I chose men that did nothing but hang out get stoned and not progress with the times. I had to do it myself with No education. You cant support kids on a waitress's salery. You cant get a decent job without an education. If you cant stay in school, it is showing the employer that you do not have what it take to accomplish your tasks. Just sayin' that's what they look at.

You use to be able to get by without knowing how to read, but not these days. Just my thoughys on the subject.

Blessings on your learning experience
    sh

8. strat

strat Member

Middle + High school = garbage

Seriously. Guarantee it.

They make you spend your physical prime and the time you need to grow to be a strong adult, sitting in a chair for 7+ hours a day and filling out paperwork.

I know, the old 'oh they need professions like doctors and engineers' argument comes into play. All they need to do is re-design the system and people would be able to do these things, without sitting on their ass for 7 hours a day.

And nowadays school is a joke

9. The Center

The Center Member

If you want an education, stay as far as possible away from a school.
    If you want an education, stay as far as possible from a city.
    If you want an education, get into the wild, and let God do the educating.
    You can go to school, get 99% on everything, and go to university and pass with flying colours without EVER getting an education. How will Mr. Highlyschooled do in the REAL world. (And no, your job as a lawyer is NOT the real world.)

THIS IS THE REAL WORLD!
    [​IMG]

I'll give him a week...

10. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah i hate school

11. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

schools are designed as prisons to program and control you...

12. The Center

The Center Member

Ok yea let's spend 12 years filling out paperworks so that we can know how to fill out paperwork. Fuckit. If it wasn't for me wanting a horticulture degree so that I can immigrate to Peru easier...

13. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

I think parents are, for the mostpart, capable of teaching their children to read, write and use arithmetic without the school system.

We are not evolved to sit on our asses. We should not spend our lives sitting on our asses hunched over computer screens (ironic saying that online, huh?) in offices all day.

We are not evolved to bend over for extended periods of time at all, really. Whether that be bending over on a farm, a building site or on a factory floor.

We are evolved for moving around with our heads held high, eating as we're hungry, shitting as our bowels require, sleeping as we're tired, waking as we like and playing the rest of the time.

Inspired by this picture:

[​IMG]

love
    geranium

14. GeraniumPollen

GeraniumPollen Member

Eye-opener :)

15. Xac

Xac Visitor

It's part of the real world, just like having a job as a lawyer, i just suspect you wish the latter wasn't.

You might not be your car keys, but you can do some very real things with money. ;)

16. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Ms. Heifer: I applaud you for your strength and wisdom. You speak from experience -- and that's the true measure of knowledge. The rest is silence. I am astounded that such a simple poem -- managed to bring about so much venom and self righteous opinions. The irony of this leaves me speechless. So I won't bother to leave a lengthy response. The simple fact that only you understood the poem's meaning -- speaks volumes. Yet you were not fortunate enough to qualify for formal education. Which is really what the poem is about. Some folks are not given a choice. High school is a luxury for some. So they do what they have to do to survive. And I don't judge anyone for that. Much peace to you. Wisdom is not something that can be taught. It must be earned. :)

--QP

17. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Sort of like the dude in INTO THE WILD, huh? His heart was in the right place, but he let his arrogance get the best of him. A little humility can mean the difference between survival and death. The dude had all the advantages in life: yet his determination to be "free" of civilization -- caused him to use very poor judgement. His life should serve as a lesson.

The natives in Alaska are used to this sort of thing -- if you really wanna be free: make sure you do all your homework. Or you're just not gonna make it. The dude's life ended up a tragic one. And all that was required was a little basic study. But he was beyond all that. Sadly, he was not the first. And I'm certain he won't be the last. It's a lot harder than it looks, folks. But I still respect him for his ideals -- as ill prepared as he tragically was. The book and movie are awesome object lessons. Chris was a real person. Somebody's son, brother, and friend. His life was real -- not some misguided ideal. We should never lose sight of that fact. Carry on.

--QP

18. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

John Mccandless was an idiot yeah, presumed he could just walk in and walk out. Although the wild does not teach you only what a person needs to know.

School generally is there to influence thought, and give basic understanding. Whoever it was said he are born 'learners' is plain wrong, we have a brain much like our dogs do- fancy letting them in on the theory of relativity?

However school is bollocks in the sense that it does teach you nothing you NEED to know about life. Learning from the wild would have been a necessity once upon a time, but looking at a persons emotional spectrum I am convinced if they could find a way of teaching a person how to develop a person mentally in such a way, they would be proving to be invaluable?

How do you learn to love?
    Learn to forgive?
    Learn to get over?
    How about learning to simply understand another?

The list goes on. We are mentally impaired as a race, if anything.

19. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

WRONG! You can always become a high school drop out. But just go ahead and try to leave prison before you've served your time. Very odd comparison...

--QP

20. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I think you meant Chris. ;)

Since I essentially am a high school drop out (did not attend college until I was 32), I think we learn the important things in life by spending time with other people. And I mean quality time: not going to the movies or shopping at the mall. Still, I value the years I spent in school. I was a late bloomer (totally late), but I learned about writers, artists, singers, philosophers, photographers, etc. -- that I never discovered on my own. And I spent a lot of time at the public library (after I dropped out of high school -- and started working at a fast food joint full time).

So it's all good. The trick is to keep what's good, and let go of the useless stuff. And that's how I finally learned to live my life. Being selective makes all the difference. :)

--QP