Bible Questions?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by OlderWaterBrother, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Why is so much focused on the loving of god

Because he shows us love.

Is fear a sincere form of love?

Yes. I fear not reaching the expectations of those that love me because I want to show them that I truly care about them.

Is it not obvious that this verse was intended to manipulate the ignorant mostly illiterate masses of history into war with anyone they could claim was evil?

It's not obvious if a deeper look into the text is taken place.

Or to no matter how ridicules or unnatural the church itself may have (and does) seem simply cling to it and obey what it says?

Depends on what you mean by Church and which church.

Have you ever read any George Orwell?

Yeah, was forced to read it in elementary school.

White noise used in order to make the bible seem moral to those credulous enough to discard it's mor insane and wicked asking.

Not white noise when taken into perspective of the whole Bible and through gaining a deeper understanding of God's way.

Why not the good of mankind, why is the lord to be put before all others including children and in the cse of the supposed Job and his very sanity as he prepared to murder (or kill as some apologists attempt to save this idiotic passage with) his son?

Abraham was asked to do this to show that no matter what God asked of him, he would do it. But later on we see that God shown him that sacrifice was not necessary, and this event eluded to Jesus as a testimony to future generations of Christians and Christians to be.

Faithful in prayer, this borders on thought crime how anyone can see it as moral is sick in my opinion.

It's more than prayer. It's action.

Mind you not your fellow man, but gods people, tribalism defined.

The righteous deeds of man can pave a way to hell sometimes.

An idiotic preaching and a sickening one at that.

Not to Christians

"Thank you Nazi officer for killing my family, please after gassing me to death throw me face down into a mass grave, god bless you.

:rolleyes:

People really need a book to tell them this, have you ever been to a high school kegger?

No. I never really liked alcohol. Never saw the point in getting drunk.

The bible is not needed to tell people this.

Kinda is.

How enlighting...

:D

Why can't you be proud of helping people who are in need of help or as the bible puts it (whatever translation of it your quoting) those of low position.

It's ok to feel good about doing good.

Wow, more suggest of "divine" wisdom, you could read similar white noise in a fortune cookie.

Fortune cookies are fun and tasty, they just never really contained lasting wisdom.

What is the reason peace does not seem an option in the world today?

"Peace sells but who's buying?" Dave Mustaine :D

2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Faith in Christ is what saves us, therefore it is the will of God. He wants the relationship with us. Think about the story of prodical son in Luke. That son squandered all that he had been given, but all the father cared about is that he came back.

Consider Romans 5:2-5

2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."[a]
    4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness

The will of the father is a loving relationship.

3. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

How will they prove to God that they do not want to live forever?

4. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Because God loved us first.
    Fear is not love but it can used in our display of love to others.
    Hate what is evil; cling to what is good and this is wrong?

Are you really saying that we shouldn't hate things like torture, murder and child abuse? Hating those evil things seems obvious to me.
    I believe we've already answered most of your questions about the Bible's "insane and wicked asking" and have shown them not to be such.
    Because if we put the lord first, then all others will benefit from our doing so.

It wasn't Job.

God did not require Abraham to kill his son. This is also a illustration of what God was to do for us, just like Abraham did not hold back his Son, God did not hold back his son so that we could be benefited.
    What in the World? Even objective scientists who have studied prayer have shown it to have beneficial effects.
    One scripture and you ignore all the other scriptures that deal with loving everyone.
    Oh, I see you didn't ignore ALL the other scriptures that deal with showing love to those outside our "tribe".

This scripture has been discussed with you before, as an example Jesus, when he was dying, said about those who were doing it; God please forgive them because they do not know what they are doing.

Why should we allow the hatred that others show, make us hateful?
    Why should we give up being and acting like Christians just because others do not act like Christians?
    Then why do some people still not follow this advice?
    Again, why do some people still not heed this advice?
    This not talking about helping people but about association and is telling us that we should not be proud or haughty and that we should associate with everyone no matter what we may think their station in life is.
    Yes, much of the wisdom Bible has to say has been turned into "fortune cookies" but the hard part is actually following it.
    Maybe so but no one else bothered to write them down.

As for the "Do not repay anyone evil for evil", you seem to be saying that not returning evil for evil is, how did you put it, "idiotic" and "sickening", so it seems after all these years some still don't get it.
    Well there is peace among true Christians, so that must mean that there are people out there that aren't true Christians.
    The origins of Chinese culture, literature and philosophy, developed during the Zhou Dynasty (1045 BCE to 256 BCE), the Mosaic law was penned about 1500 BCE, about 500 years earlier. What other cultures did you have in mind? :D
    What truly is unbelievable, is that after all you've been shown, that you still make statements like these. ;)

5. OlderWaterBrother

I know, just laughing with you. :D

6. OlderWaterBrother

I kind of noticed you that you didn't say anything about those being saved are the ones doing God' will.

But anyway....

James 2:18-23 says; Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.” You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, and the scripture was fulfilled which says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called “Jehovah’s friend.”

To me this Scripture pretty much says it all. :D

7. OlderWaterBrother

Pretty much the same way they do it now, by not following the principles spelled out in the Bible.

When you think about how miserable some people's lives are and that they've only had, maybe 60, 70 years to mess them up. Just imagine what their lives would be like if they had 10,000 years to mess them up, let alone eternity. Would it be loving of God to allow someone to do that to themselves? It's hard enough for God to watch us do it for 60, 70 years. :(

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."[a]
    4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness

So who's right Paul or James? God credited Abraham as righteous before any action. Paul makes it clear that a gift is not worked for. Of course true faith will respond naturally by performing works, but the work is not needed for the free gift it is only the result of it. True, demons believe in God, but they never truly trusted him otherwise they would have responded with action so they never had true faith to begin with.

9. OlderWaterBrother

They are both right, please read James again.

James 2:18-23 says; Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.” You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, and the scripture was fulfilled which says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called “Jehovah’s friend.”

Please notice James is not disagreeing with Paul but is further explaining.

"Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected,"

Abraham could have have all the faith in the world but if he had not acted on that faith would God have considered him righteous? No, Abraham needed works to show that he indeed had faith.

The whole statement by James is talking to people, who might think that all that is needed is faith and nothing else and he's letting them know that is not true, he's telling them that both faith and works are needed, that faith without works is dead.

10. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Romans 4:3

"Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."[a]
    4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Paul makes it clear. God credited it to him as righteousness before any works and even says not work but trust justifies. So verses in both Genisis and Romans contradict your interpretation.

If we take a closer look at James he is speaking as an outsider. He asks a person "show me your faith" Just because it is not shown yet does not mean it isn't true faith and as Paul makes very clear in Eph. 2:8 Salvation comes by faith and not by works.

God knows if we have true faith or not and can see into our hearts.

This interpretation of James contradicts many more verses also.

What if a person has true faith and dies just before acting? Would God say "sorry, but you didn't act on it in time"? Of course not.

Lets say I wanted to make sure your faith was true. I would ask you to show me and from my perspective after you lived a virtuous life I would believe that your faith is justified by what I see. By looking at the text in this way there is no contradiction with Paul or Genesis.

11. OlderWaterBrother

My “interpretation”? Let’s take look at my “interpretation”.

This is your original statement:
    To which I replied:
    Quoting Jesus to show that many would seek to get in but would not be able to, as an answer to your question, does the Bible leave open the possibility that everyone gets saved.

Please note that I did not “interpret” anything and was not even talking about faith or works or “earning” anything.

At which point you re-quoted my quote of Jesus
    At which point you asked:
    To which I said:
    To this point I’d made no “interpretations” or even implied an “interpretation” of the text. You on the other hand seem to have taken exception to what Jesus said and far as I can tell, still do.

Taken at face value, Jesus said; “Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door”, He did not here say; Exert yourselves vigorously after you get in through the narrow door.

I’m still uncertain what you think Jesus is saying here but for me, coupled the with the thoughts that “he that endures to the end shall be saved” and Paul thoughts about the race for life and James’ statement about faith without works is dead, I would have to say it seems that more is needed than just faith. It would seem to me that both faith and works are needed to be saved and to me that seems to be what James is saying when he says; “You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected” but then that is my “interpretation”.

12. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Save he posited wounded flesh as proof of identity.

13. OlderWaterBrother

Why yes, yes he did and so?

14. thedope

just that.

15. OlderWaterBrother

Okay

16. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

You keep coming back to passages in Luke and James that seem to support some work is needed for salvation, but don't address many passages that clearly say that trust and faith and no work are what justify.

If I had a son would I ask him to prove his love for me through good works before I would love him back? If I had two sons running a race and one got last and the other won would I love them differently based on their performance?

Notice in the story of the prodical son in Luke 15:19

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

When the son returned did the father ask that he perform works to prove his love? No. The father killed the fatted calf simply because he had returned.

Now lets look at Luke 13

He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'
    "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

I think what I highlighted is the key here. Jesus is essentially saying that he has no clue who they are. There is no relationship.

So what does make every effort, strive or agonize to get through the narrow door or return to the father mean? Let's look at the prodical son again.

"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.

Here the son makes every effort to live without the father, but finally gives up all hope, humbles himself, and says I'm not worthy, you're my only hope so I will put all trust in you. This is entering the narrow gate.

Luke 18:17

I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

17. thedope

If the fact that I have no belief in dogma disqualifies me from responding to this question, please forgive the intrusion.
    I was exposed to Christianity at age 8. At that time I did not know that other religions existed. It was not by familial example but by wrote that I was "sent off" to Sunday school because that is what you were supposed to do with kids. I discovered I had an innate affinity for the perception of innocence found in the words attributed to Jesus yet at the same time was aware of the pernicious hypocrisy in the way the church applied those words.
    I would describe myself as being predisposed to identify with the sayings of Jesus, however it is only those sayings that I found an affinity for and by that chance happened upon the theoretical Q document of sayings. As I grew older I began to flesh out my understanding of the obscure aspects of the bible using the sayings of Jesus rather than as most who use other scripture to flesh out the meaning of what Jesus said. As I grew older I was exposed to other sacred texts and I found that these identical sayings were documented in every one. They were in content, identical illuminations.
    Originally I was attracted by the sentiment of common humanity but the clincher for me is the way the sayings functionally fit with observable nature.
    For instance take the saying the meek shall inherit the earth.
    Who survives the mass extinctions that are a redundant feature of life on earth, the low lying, below the radar types. The simplest creatures are the oldest and most enduring.

18. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

I've never thought of it like that. Real eye opener. :)

19. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

Why is there still confusion with the story of creation being created in six days because of a mistranslation, why not change the word day as is printed in the KJV of the bible to era or something more similar to the word youm?

Can you explain what the good news of agape is?
    Then what good is the bible good for other than just controlling the masses or simple entertainment?

By the way you have said that morality stems directly from biblical teachings.

Not much of a sacrifice if he knew he would be coming back shortly after his death, to be accurate I would say it was not a sacrifice at all more of a publicity stunt.

But of course since death by horrid crusifiction happened often in thoses days why do we not weap for the other victims of such a cruel murder?
    I thought it was Eve, either way it makes no sense.

20. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

The meen are the problem with the world, if god simply made the "meek" equel with there other fellow humans would there not be peace?

Of course if people are happy and content they have no reason to wish (or pray same diffrence) for a better life.

the meek should not inherent the earth, why not?

Because they should not be meek to begin with they should be equels with all of creation.

More evidence pointing towards that religion hucksters the desperate into it's masses, like vultures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.