Bible Questions?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by OlderWaterBrother, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Yes.

2. OlderWaterBrother

Christians concerned about their salvation may wish to consider Jesus’ declaration that “he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” (Matt. 10:22; 24:12, 13; Mark 13:13, AV) And the apostle Paul comments similarly: “For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.”—Heb. 3:14, AV.

How are we to reconcile these scriptures with the ones you cite? Surely these servants of God were not contradicting themselves. Rather, were they not merely expressing the same understanding from different viewpoints? The apostle Paul provides the key to harmonizing these viewpoints.

Time and again Paul likens the Christian’s course to a “race” that must be run to the finish. “Let us run with patience the race that is set before us,” he urged the Hebrews. (12:1, AV) To enter the race, sinners must take the steps necessary for salvation: hearing and accepting the Word of God, believing in Jesus Christ and his ransom sacrifice, repenting of their sins and being baptized. In this way, they get saved “from this crooked generation,” as Peter exhorted those gathered at Pentecost. Unbelievers are outside the race, having failed to enter by getting “saved.”—Acts 2:37-40, Revised Standard Version (RSV); 16:31-33; Rom. 10:13, 14.

Once entered in the race by being “saved,” a Christian takes “hold of the life which is life indeed.” But is it possible to lose that grip on life? Paul answers with this question: “Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize?” In the Christian race, Paul indicates the “one” who receives the prize is anyone who finishes the race. Therefore, Paul urges, “So run that you may obtain it.” Then, using himself as an example to make the point of his illustration, he continues: “I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”—1 Tim. 6:19; 1 Cor. 9:24-27, RSV.

Evidently the apostle, who surely was a “saved” Christian, believed that even he could be “disqualified” from the race. Yet as long as he continued to ‘run that he might obtain’ the prize, thus remaining in the race, salvation was assured. This is why Christians who remain in the race can be said to ‘have everlasting life.’ But if they should ever quit the race, they are “disqualified,” losing their hold on everlasting life.

Hence, Paul follows up his remarks on the Christian’s race by cautioning about the danger of overconfidence. Using the example of the Israelites who were saved through the Red Sea, yet fell to wrongdoing in the wilderness, he warned: “We [“saved” Christians] must not put the Lord to the test.” Then, driving his point home, he declared: “Let any one who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” Yes, it could happen, even to “saved” ones!—1 Cor. 10:1-12, RSV.

This is why, throughout his writings, Paul consistently emphasized his own need to stay in the race. For example, of his hoped-for reward of the resurrection, he said: “I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” It was only after Paul neared the end of his life that he wrote: “I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” At this point in his life, he could finally say with confidence: “Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award me on that Day.”—Phil. 3:11-14; 2 Tim. 4:6-8, RSV.

Paul’s view of his own salvation, then, is consistent with Jesus’ comments mentioned earlier about ‘enduring to the end’ to be saved.—See also Revelation 2:10; 3:11, 12, AV.

The foregoing helps us to see why Paul repeatedly entreated “saved” Christians to be on guard. Their everlasting salvation was still at stake. Addressing the obviously “saved” Hebrew Christians who had been “illuminated” and who had “endured a great fight of afflictions,” he warns: “If we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.” The sacrificial benefits that “saved” such persons, then, can be lost. Why? Because such a person “hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto [outraged, RSV] the Spirit of grace.”—Heb. 10:26-32, AV.

Yes, Christians who truly appreciate the salvation provided through Christ and God’s grace will not be overconfident. They will strive to remain in the race like Paul and the other early Christians, whom he encouraged to “work out [their] own salvation with fear and trembling.”—Phil. 2:12, AV.

3. OlderWaterBrother

What I am implying is that Jesus was born a human and after he sacrificed his human life, he would have no longer have access to that life or body, probably the reason why his disciples did not readily recognize the bodies he materialized before he when to heaven.

4. OlderWaterBrother

As for the Resurrection, I believe there are two types of resurrection, one resurrection for those who are to be priests and kings with Jesus in heaven and one for those who will live forever on Earth.

For those chosen to be priests and kings with Jesus in heaven, they will have no need for fleshly bodies in heaven and will become spirit creatures.

As for those resurrected to Earthly life their fleshly bodies will be returned to them in better shape than when they died, just like Lazarus who was not resurrected in the body that he died with, which was much decomposed but was given back his same body, only after it had been repaired.

5. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

Why has the English bible never been re translated to do rid with the passages that have been "lost" in translation?

If most well read theologians agree that the words when translated clear up many of the absurdities and contradictions of the translated version of this magic(?) book, why not re edit it?

Is the editing of the bible to other languages frowned upon, I have read that there was a time in history when possesion of an english translated bible was a death sentence.

Is there a moral action that can be attributed to a believer that could not also be attributed to one who has a lack of faith, if not where do some arrogant people get the claim that the bible is the root of morality, furthermore if god really did decide to force a human sacrifice to spread the word of his greatness (why would an omnipotent being need to?) why would he choose an illiterate remote savage place like ancient Palestine to reveal it to the world as opposed to a more civilized and educated place such as China at the time?

last but not least this is a question to all those who post here who consider themselves devout believers in the dogma of the holy bible, what originally made you believe that Jesus was the true way as opposed to Mohammad or Vishnu?

Was it that your parents or some other authority figure introduced them to you first, was it just safety in numbers in your community and how much would you say you know of other faiths in comparison to yours, surely to cask all your faith and trust into religion you must of shopped around a little bit, and if not why?

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Nice response.:D

This reminds me of when Paul says that the branches that have been ingrafted into the vine can be taken off again. I don't think I'm permanently saved, but what may cause me to lose salvation? Isn't it losing complete faith in Christ alone?

As Paul says in Phil 3 "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith" Since we are saved by faith in Christ alone, the only way we can lose salvation is to trust in something other than him. Like the Bible says you can not serve two masters. Therefore, if we put our trust in anything other than him we lose the gift and that includes putting trust in our own striving. Why put our trust in the fruit when it's the vine that sustains us?

Consider Matthew 7:22-23

'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Why did Jesus say I never knew you? Was it because they weren't good enough? Of course not no one is. The reason they weren't allowed into the kingdom was because they were putting trust in their own works and not complete trust in him.

7. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

What does it mean when it is said "losing their hold on everlasting life" when everyone, the righteous and the unrighteous, get everlasting life?

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I originally believed because I was brought up Christian. Then in college and looked into eastern religions like taoism which is similar to Christianity, but found it cold with little personal intimacy.

What makes Christianity different than other religions is God initiates the relationship. Where as in other religions we are to do our best to try and reach God. In Christianity God serves us first and out of that we serve others which is what I see in nature. Hinduism also believes in oneness with God, but how can you have an intimate relationship with an ocean of energy? I believe I've found the way in Christ or he found me.

9. def zeppelin

I was brought up to be a Catholic but as time went by I left the faith and became an agnostic atheist. As more time went on, I looked into world religions and at one point almost became a Muslim or even a Hindu. Then I became a hardened logical positivist and thought that if it can't be directly observable than it is probably untrue. After a while, I looked into Alan Watt's clear view on world religions but then I found, at one point, that they were all lacking something.

I have despised the Bible for many years. Thinking that it was an ancient and barbaric book full of ugliness and cruelty. But when I met people like OWB and Monkey boy, and looked into what they said, I thought "These people are pretty logical for Christians" then as time went by I came to a realization that if God existed he would make the relationship personal and would create a means for salvation. The more I looked into religions, the more I realized that Christianity was truly unique and it's the only religion that has stood the test of time with science.

As time went by, and as I came to understand more of what the Bible is explaining, other world religions began to crumble under it's own weight and I began to see the fallibility in them all. I also came to the conclusion that there is another set of evidence that exists. Their is evidence behind the Bible that gives it a lot of weight and I think you know what they are (40 different people writing it, et al). The prophecies are also very potent and once understood to be true, it acts as a kind of evidence and reconciles perfectly with what Hebrews describes Faith to be. It doesn't describe it as a false hope, but a hope backed up by facts and fulfillment throughout history.

Many go into how the Bible creates a Nostradamus Effect, but nothing of the Biblical prophecies are ever as obscure as his predictions. The Bible goes into fine details of when, where, and how things will happen and they have happened so perfectly that non-Christians have said anywhere from "It's a self fulfilling prophecy" to "The books were written after the effect". But it came a point in my life where I decided to dropped what I personally considered to be 'unhealthy doubts' of 'what if's'. That's not to say I no longer entertain idea. I just believe when the evidence presents itself in such a way then it should be accepted.

That's a simplified version of it, but hope that answers it.

10. Rudenoodle

It at many times seems that most people who believe in a personnel god if asked about the particularize of this personnel relationship seem to come up a bit lacking, for instance if this god is personal and has designed this universe with the believers especially included would it not be to far fetched to say that the reality for said believer is but one of many realties created by the deity?

Surely Adof Hitler who was roman Catholic and as such a believer in a personal god could not passably have inhibited the same dimension as someone like your average anti Nazi Christian believer.

Would it not seem that the architects of these various religions that are dividing the world up in a rush to obtain followers seem to all offer the same thing, ignore the misery that surrounds you and your brothers and sisters do as we say and all will be righted after you are dead.

I would also like to hear posters opinions on why religion of any sort is to be considered a force of good in the world and why that is?

11. def zeppelin

Well, many people have come to believe that there are two methods of fighting. One method is through violence and another method through non-violence. I have come to the conclusion that the later method is harder and acts as a testimony for the rest of the world.

Dividing the world up? In what way exactly? No one that is truly a Christian is 'ignoring the misery' that surrounds us. We know it very well and we aren't naive to say things are good when they are not. Things are bad, but our belief in hope is supposed to inspire others in the hopes that it spreads.

I don't exactly understand how Adolf Hitler can be considered a Catholic if Catholics believe is leading their lives in the path of Jesus... Did Jesus kill people... ?

It's only your perspective that our evidence is lacking. If we want to understand Gods intentions then we have to look into what world religions have said of God if we are to use those as a basis for God.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The main commandment in the Bible is to love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

Romans 12:9-17 tells us how we should love.

9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited. 17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone

13. OlderWaterBrother

Nice reply but I think you forgot to include Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.

Where it explains the reason they weren't allowed into the kingdom, it was because, even though they were doing "great works" in Jesus' name, they were not doing the will of God. :D

14. OlderWaterBrother

Almost everyone who has died before the Great Tribulation gets a resurrection but that's no guarantee that they will get everlasting life.

15. OlderWaterBrother

Thanks, I think. :D

16. def zeppelin

They will be resurrected but the number of their days would be limited?

17. def zeppelin

lol, I just meant that what most Christians were saying didn't peak my interest because it seemed like they didn't know what they were talking about :D

18. Rudenoodle

Why is so much focused on the loving of god, what reasons are there to love god as opposed to hating him or simply ignoring that he exists in the first place?

Is fear a sincere form of love?

Is it not obvious that this verse was intended to manipulate the ignorant mostly illiterate masses of history into war with anyone they could claim was evil?

Or to no matter how ridicules or unnatural the church itself may have (and does) seem simply cling to it and obey what it says?

Have you ever read any George Orwell?

White noise used in order to make the bible seem moral to those credulous enough to discard it's mor insane and wicked asking.

Why not the good of mankind, why is the lord to be put before all others including children and in the cse of the supposed Job and his very sanity as he prepared to murder (or kill as some apologists attempt to save this idiotic passage with) his son?

Faithful in prayer, this borders on thought crime how anyone can see it as moral is sick in my opinion.

Mind you not your fellow man, but gods people, tribalism defined.

An idiotic preaching and a sickening one at that.

"Thank you Nazi officer for killing my family, please after gassing me to death throw me face down into a mass grave, god bless you.

People really need a book to tell them this, have you ever been to a high school kegger?

The bible is not needed to tell people this.

How enlighting...:rolleyes:

Why can't you be proud of helping people who are in need of help or as the bible puts it (whatever translation of it your quoting) those of low position.
    Wow, more suggest of "divine" wisdom, you could read similar white noise in a fortune cookie.

All of these things were known of long before the bible was conceived, your a smart person how can you really be saying that the Judao christian philosophy/ mythology delivered this knowledge unto the word?

What is the reason peace does not seem an option in the world today?

Sounds more like a cheap 60's slogan someone would sell on a T-shirt.

I can think of no greater philosophical insult than to say that mans morality comes from an ignorant incoherent bible that was constructed after many other cultures had already had intricate laws and governments.

in short unbelievable.

19. OlderWaterBrother

The Bible has been "re"translated many times.

There is no reason to edit the Bible, it is fine the way it is.

No, God does not frown upon translating the Bible into other languages.

Yes, there was a time when possession of a Bible translated into English was a death sentence but I believe that is because the dominant "Christianity" of the time did not want the "common" people of the time to know that they were being lied to about what the Bible said.

I believe that the spread of the Good News out of Agape is a moral action that can not be attributed to one who has a lack of faith.

I don't believe I've ever claimed that the Bible is the root of all morality, so I guess you'll have to ask some else about that.

Jesus sacrifice was not for the purpose of spreading the word of God's greatness. The sacrifice was to rescue us from the sin and death that Adam laid upon us.

20. OlderWaterBrother

No, they have the opportunity to live forever; it's just some, who are resurrected, will not wish to live forever on a paradise Earth and God will not force them to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.