Monsanto Multinational

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by LeftLeftRightLeft, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

when bugs eat bt they die . however , science declares it safe for mammals since the bt enzyme is observed to pass through the mammal system irrelevantly . hmm ... yes , this harmlessness can be doubtable . a mammal , says science , is not purely mammal . for one thing , bacteria and such in the mammal body are necessary for good digestion .

one can suspect that Monsanto did not fully research this .... this life .

here at the farm , it's rare to even see a butterfly anymore . the wasps and hornets are mostly gone too . this sadness of loss is real .

2. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

Or if they did, no one's talking about it, but my guess is they didn't do the research because they were afraid what they'd find.

Wow, that's really unfortunate, sorry to hear about your loss, though I'm not surprised. And to think, you might be able to sue Monsanto years from now, when there's a crisis the magnitude of which makes agent orange pale by comparison, but you can't put a price tag on the damage done, disruption of the natural balance, which may be permanent and irreversible.

3. odon

odon Slightly Popular

4. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

I hate Monsanto

5. odon

odon Slightly Popular

...a bit vague. Why?

6. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

WHY?!?!??!?!?
    They are trying to get rid of all organic foods.
    What more has to be said?
    If I was an extremist I would...

7. green.earth.al

green.earth.al Member

8. odon

odon Slightly Popular

...evidence might be nice. :rolleyes:

9. tculi

tculi Senior Member

There doesnt need to be any dispute on whether monsanto is a fucked up corporation or not. there is no rule to argue. just look at their history. They produced agent orange, which killed a million and they made plenty of money. They also produced DDT. Now, they are still producing aspartame which is a sweetener. It also happens to be a something called an excitotoxin. A neurotoxin...one that damages and eventually kills brain cells along with other organ damage. This corporation is fucking ridiculous. Just from knowing that alone should be enough to know to stay away from anything Monsanto has touched. They are racing to genetically engineer seeds from most food crops. They have so many connections to the government and the Bilderberg group....aka new world order scumbags. These guys have wayyyy too much control over our food and government. Everyone should eat as much organic, local food that they can. If not for the amazing health benefits then for boycotting the corrupt ass company Monsanto and being environmentally friendly. Organic foods are a revofuckinlution. =]

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Not blocking studies so evidence can be gathered would be nice too. :rolleyes:

11. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Perhaps. But OneLifeForm has hopefully based his opinions on something. I guess the possibility of a void in studies/information might have not helped counter OneLifeForm opinion.
    I've read enough to know some of the things he says isn't true, though. You only have to look at industrialised countries uptake in organic food to know there is something a tad suspect in OneLifeForm opinion.
    I won't put word in his mouth though. I'll try not to be so sarcastic. :rolleyes:

12. gorilla warfare

gorilla warfare Member

Haha, i owned stocks in monsanto a couple years ago, i think they made me a lot of money. hooray for faceless multinationals.

13. Sunandsalt

Sunandsalt Member

Odon, you are ridiculous in your need for such specific, documented "evidence" when discussing something such as Monsanto. It is clear, even in documentaries, that Monsanto is just another money-and-power-hungry corporation whose bottom line is profits. Nothing more. Destruction of the environment and degradation of the individual are of no concern to this company. Monsanto employs "agents" whose only job is to intimidate and threaten independent farmers who either save their seeds or do not use Monsanto seeds yet. They have black lists of these farmers who simply cannot afford to purchase Monsanto seeds every year when they can easily save those from the last harvest. This should be a human right. But no, they go after each one with balls-out legal loopholes that are realistically no match for individual farmers who are just trying to get by. This results in the utter debasement of these farmers' entire lives. After being stripped of their business, plus the legal fees, they are left with nothing while Monsanto gains perhaps a half a raindrop in their big bucket. This practice is a fact, one which I am not going to take the time finding a link to--I trust you can find it yourself if documented evidence is that important to you.

Monocropping itself is very destructive to the environment, but that makes no difference to Monsanto, who specializes in the GMO soybean. The more of one crop they can fit onto the least amount of land the better, despite the soil's irrefutable need for biodiversity.

Monsanto is a terrorist company. They may not bomb anything, but there may be much more damage to be done through this aggressive and soulless agribusiness.

14. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

Thank you for the insightful post, Sunandsalt. If you were a farmer, would you want to plant Monsanto seeds, knowing the potential outcome could be worse than agent orange or DDT? That's a hell of a responsibility. 'Must suck being farmer these days, faced with the choice of whether to go with Monsanto's seeds and potentially poison the earth and the people who eat your crops, or fight it and go out of business.

I'm not a farmer, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for those who are, 'gotta be one of the noblest professions, feeding people, yet capitalism, and the legal system that feeds it, has somehow perverted it to this level of debasement, unbelievable.

15. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I'm sorry if I want to base my opinions on some facts. Horrid of me isn't it? You may think it is a given Monsanto is a terrible company, and I should just know Monsanto is a bad company, but I do like some sort of basis behind what is said, so as to either agree or disagree.

I guess I am saying: "Prove it"

Monsanto is just another money-and-power-hungry corporation whose bottom line is profits.
    Destruction of the environment and degradation of the individual are of no concern to this company. Monsanto employs "agents" whose only job is to intimidate and threaten independent farmers who either save their seeds or do not use Monsanto seeds yet. They have black lists of these farmers who simply cannot afford to purchase Monsanto seeds every year when they can easily save those from the last harvest. This should be a human right. But no, they go after each one with balls-out legal loopholes that are realistically no match for individual farmers who are just trying to get by. This results in the utter debasement of these farmers' entire lives.

It would be nice to have some evidence or atleast what you base this on.

...the same as calling the Bush admin' Nazi's...I imagine. Fair? Hardly.

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

ya , i'm at the old family farm at this moment . my brother runs the place now , and we talk of these things . the predominate farming style here is American industrial . things is very perverted . he feels it . he's very aware of Monsanto lying about the reality of eating bt corn because really a farmer pays attention to every detail of what goes on . but by golly , all he's gotta do is survive spiritually . last year he had some sort of revelation and planted some Indian flour corn and some popcorn too . he sure loves to pop his blue corn , and when he comes over to visit me sometimes i got some fresh ground , made-that-morning , cornflour bread and he takes a bite like it was holy communion .

17. Sunandsalt

Sunandsalt Member

This article clearly discusses Monsanto's patent on its GMO soybean and the ruthless "seed police" who go after small farmers "in violation" of the legal patent. This includes saving seeds or even being caught with Monsanto seeds on their land, which oftentimes occurs accidentally due to winds or birds blowing and distributing the seeds from nearby farms. Even the farmers who are not aware of Monsanto seeds mistakenly mixing with their own are blacklisted and punished.

There are several documented court cases of Monsanto vs. US Farmers. As of 2003 there were 75 employed agents whose sole purpose was investigating and prosecuting farmers. Independent farmers have collectively paid Monsanto over $15 million in lawsuits.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...vid:_Monsanto's_Legal_Battles_against_Farmers

And that Bush analogy is totally of your mind. I never alluded to that whatsoever.

18. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Thanks. Nothing too new...but I appreciate your reply. I'm aware of the "seed police" as you put.

Calling Monsanta a terrorist company was a tad ridiculous...that was my point.

19. Sunandsalt

Sunandsalt Member

If it's nothing new and you were already aware of the seed police, I guess you were just trying to be difficult and contradictory with all that "prove it" crap. When you google Monsanto, every link but their own website turns up a mound of evidence against them. It doesn't take cold hard facts to truly see.

Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. I consider any corporation that steps outside of the law to needlessly and shamelessly perpetrate physical, emotional, and financial suffering on individuals and the environment to be a corporation of terror. I imagine they consider themselves unstoppable, which may be true considering the large handful of current public officials formerly employed by Monsanto. They are mostly members of the FDA and EPA, but there's also Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court. How fucked is that!

I also wouldn't be surprised if you yourself were employed by Monsanto, or an agency of the like, to go into forums such as this to defend them, to make it appear as though they still have some legitimate supporters out there. It's a clever tactic and one I'm positive some corporations use. Profiting from them (such as Gorilla Warfare up there) seems the only logical explanation as to why anyone would back them up, aside from good ol' sadism.

20. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I should have been more clear, sorry.
    I knew that Monsanto had people who checked to make sure their seed were not being used with out agreement, or if the agreement was being broken.
    I would not be surprised if some of them over-stepped their job description.

But that isn't all that you said:

Monsanto employs "agents" whose only job is to intimidate and threaten independent farmers who either save their seeds or do not use Monsanto seeds yet. They have black lists of these farmers who simply cannot afford to purchase Monsanto seeds every year when they can easily save those from the last harvest.

The articles didn't mention any of that.
    That is what I was really asking to be "proved".

I don't think that is true. I think you are going slightly OTT, tbh.

Lol, no.
    No I don't work for Monsanto.
    If I did I'd have been sacked by now.
    13 thousand posts and approx 20 or so posts about Monsanto.
    Fail.

It's a touch of sadism...but mostly I just don't like when people throw around accusations with out backing it up.
    It's the same with anything I am interested in.
    I'm not going to agree with something just because I like the sound of it.
    But I will do if there is some kinda proof.