More first timer Q's

Discussion in 'Salvia Divinorum' started by Shroomp, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Shroomp

Shroomp Member

bowl? im from the uk so i dont know what you mean by bowl

Amount? how much should i be smoking to get a decent trip of Salvia?

Length? How long does the trip last? is it anywhere near the length of a shroom trip?

Type? what strength should i be ordering, ive checked www.iamshaman.com, and from what ive read on this forum it looks like i want to be getting one of these 5 or 10x extracts.

non-standardized/standardized? which is better/safer/trippier? what is the difference?

Weights? how does 1/8th salvia extract compare in size to 1/8th of skunk?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

2. Shroomp

Shroomp Member

Couple more :

How fucked will 1g of 6x non-standardized salvia extract get me?

How many bongs would i get off 1g of the stuff?

3. Foppful

Foppful Member

One HIT of 6x could be all you need. The trips last about 10 minutes, or a little less.

It's intense, and it's NOT recreational. Don't do this for fun, do it for the experience.

4. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Bowl = cone.

Bowls (as in America) tend to be a fair amount larger than cones (as in Australia). A comparison was done between an Australian cone and an American bowl, and the bowl was 2 to 3 times the size of an equivalent cone. I do not know how it goes down in the U.K., but ... a bowl, and a cone, is the place where you put the weed in a bong or pipe.

Look on www.erowid.org for good trip amounts. Measuring by "bowls" or "cones" is not accurate by ANY means (and don't trust anyone who tells you to "pack half a bowl" of salvia, NEVER trust that information), because bowls and cones can vary in size immensely; I've seen bowls that can hold 1/4 of a gram, and bowls that can hold 2 grams. So, don't just go by "bowl."

That being said, you should (whenever possible) use a mg scale to measure your dosage out (based on the strength of the extract or leaf; e.g. 1x, 5x, 10x, 20x, etc.

No.

By the time you exhale, the trip will already be in motion. Peak effects come on somewhere between 1 and 3 minutes (yes, that's MINUTES, and you will likely begin to feel light effects only 20 seconds after a hit) after taking a hit, and lasts anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes (depending on the dosage). Afterwards, the comedown is similar to an extreme "stoned" or "high" feeling, and the comedown lasts for an additional 20 or 30 minutes (during which time it is possible to function somewhat rationally). Of course, if your dose isn't enough, you won't "trip," you'll just get a high/stoned feeling instead, lasting for the same amount of time.

It is very important that you consume all the salvinorin-A that is designated for the trip within the first minute or two; if you take too long to acquire all the salvinorin-A, then the trip will only be lengthened in duration, but the intensity will not change at all.

If you have never bought before (I am assuming you have not), it is safer to go by the 5x extract. Start with a small dosage, and work your way up into the "trip" states; you'll be more prepared that way.

If you buy the 10x extract, it is easier to get into the "trip" states, but it is also possible to go beyond what you want easily, if eyeballing (as most people irresponsibly tend to do). If you do this, you could hit an amnesic state, where you may lose consciousness and/or thrash around uncontrollably, and injury is both possible and likely; after hitting such an extreme state of intoxification, you can't even remember the trip anyway, so it's definately not cool to get to this state. Try 5x extract first (try ordering a couple of grams to start), and if you feel that it's a little too tough to get the salvinorin content you want out of 5x, then move up to the 10x extract.

The process of extraction involves taking the salvinorin-A (active ingredient) out of salvia leaf, and then reapplying it directly to more leaf. I.e. 4 leaves have the salvinorin-A extracted, and then that salvinorin-A is reapplied to a 5th leaf, to create 5x extract.

Non-standardized means that the extraction is crude; doses are not measured out, and it is very likely that you will have more or less salvinorin-A per gram; the extraction CAN work in your favour, but this means it is not accurate for measuring doses.

Standardized means that the extraction is refined and precise. Doses are much more accurate, the salvinorin-A is reapplied in a very homogeneous manner (uniformly to each piece of leaf, and mixed thoroughly), and doses can be measured out much safer.

Most people have no problem with non-standardized. Non-standardized is much cheaper and still "works" fine. However, if you will be measuring out doses and conducting experiements, or building up to a certain dose, the standardized is much more accurate and safer as well.

I prefer non-standardized because I don't have money to just throw away. If I did have a money tree, I'd definately buy the standardized.

Salvia does not grow in "buds." It isn't the flower that is harvested; rather, the leaves. Because of this, leaves either come whole or crushed, and extracts always come as very crushed or even ground. As far as volume and weight are concerned, a gram of ground salvia is not far from a gram of ground cannabis, so it's not terribly difficult.

If you managed to smoke it all at one time?

Let's hope, for your sake, you don't. One gram would blow anyone, even a hard-head, so far into the water, that ... eh, well, let's just say, some things might happen, and all of those things are NOT COOL. I'm no expert, but I would say taking in that much salvinorin-A at a time (assuming you are using a 6x non-standardized extract) could lead to serious problems, such as ... fatal blood pressure, heart attack, perhaps even brain-affecting things such as retardation, or something.

The effects at such a high dosage are NOT COOL, do not EVER do this.

One large "hit" off of 5x or 6x extract is generally enough; it tends to be 1/8th to 1/4th of a gram. Sometimes, people need more than one hit, sometimes, they need less (especially with higher extracts like 10x).

Well ...as most doses tend to be 1/8th to 1/4th of a gram, and as all doses are attempted to be taken completely in 1 to 2 hits, I'd say 1 gram will give you somewhere between 4 and 8 trips, depending on how much you use and what degree of a hard-head you are. I've seen a person take 1/2 a gram and not trip; he was a pretty tough hard-head. Don't START at that dose though. =P

Other than that, some important tips may help:

1) Use an ice-water-cooled bong and a torch lighter. The reason being; salvinorin-A has a high vaporization temperature (higher than THC or nicotine, for example), and you *REALLY* have to burn it hard to get the salvinorin-A. Torch lighters are hotter than standard lighters, and do a great job of heating it up.

And because of the high heat, ice-water (or at least very cold water) is always recommended to cool it off. If you use a torch lighter and a piece that has NO water, you likely won't even be able to hold in half of a hit for more than 3 or 4 seconds; the smoke would be too harsh as well as too hot to hold.

2) Hold hits in for 20 to 30 seconds. Salvinorin-A also doesn't absorb into the lungs as fast as THC or nicotine; many people can't even hold their breath for a full 30 seconds with a lot of smoke in. Try to hold your breath *as long as possible* when taking a hit, and don't overfill your lungs. Salvinorin-A starts being absorbed almost immediately, but it still takes a long time, and salvinorin-A is absorbed most during the 15-20 second period (which is about when most people exhale, which means they lose this crucial salvinorin-A conotent).

3) Free your mind. =) Always have an experienced trip sitter (especially for your first time), and when you trip, don't be afraid to do whatever comes naturally. Don't be afraid of embarrassing yourself or of falling "too deep" into the rabbit hole; if you become afraid, you'll likely have a very bad trip.

Remember, trips are mental. If you believe you'll have a good trip, you'll have a good trip. If you don't believe you'll have a good trip, then the experience will be unenjoyable. It's all mental. Just keep that in mind. =)

And good luck!

5. CUtheRE

CUtheRE Member

me and 3 of my friends are planning on purchasing the extract and smoking it with some weed. we are all first timers and was wondering what "x" should i buy and how much and how to take it? help

6. mebesideme

mebesideme Member

Good post, Hikaru! Took the very subject of Salvia out of my mouth. I suggest this post get stickied!

7. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Excelent Post Hikaru Zero, Stickified!

8. Hikaru Zero

Thankee! =)

For you and your friend, I suggest this:

Buy either a 5x or 6x extract, and smoke ... somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 of a gram of that (use a scale to measure it out, if at all possible). Remember to hold it in for long, and use a piece with a cooling device, and to hold the flame over the salvia for as long as you take the hit!

And happy journies! =)

9. Buritos

Buritos Member

Rawr..ill be gettin a 5x extract soon..and im pretty clueless about how i should get it in...

Can i smoke it in a joint,or would a bong be better praytell?

If so,would a makeshift bong do...i.e,a plastic bottle and a straw...

Any help is much appreciated..it should be a good experience.

10. redgreenvines

redgreenvines Member

any pipe will do.
    a deep pipe will force the use of a torch lighter.
    little glass pipes are my preference.
    we have used a corncob pipe with tinfoil top, shaped and poked to keep the bowl shallow, and then just a match to light it and it worked fine.
    a gram of 5x provides enough for 10 to 20 uses.

11. Hikaru Zero

In my experience, a bong and torch lighter are preferred above all, with ice water. Makeshift bongs; I can see no problem with them, so long as they function like an ordinary bong. You could also use a water-pipe, or even a non-water pipe (though that is not recommended, because the smoke is VERY hot and harsh if using no water; if you plan on not using water, you probably shouldn't use a torch lighter; it'll be TOO hot to handle.

You can't smoke it in a joint. Well technically, you can, but you won't get almost any effects from it at all. If you do, then you're a logical anomaly in space-time. =)

Remember: Hold your breath for 20+ seconds (30 is optimal), and burn the dosage the ENTIRE time you are taking a hit. And, something I've found useful is to completely let go; don't worry about moving, about existing, or anything; just let the salvia take you wherever. If you try to resist, you'll likely get scared when you figure out you CAN'T easily resist. =P And that could lead to a bad trip. Make SURE you have a sitter, and do your best to try the salvia in a place where you won't get into trouble and can't do much harm in the event that you stagger around while absorbed in the experience.

Redgreenvines: 10 to 20 uses ... a match to light it ... are you sure you experienced salvia's FULL effects? At best, from a gram of 5x, I get about 5 uses, and have to use a lot more than a match to get all of the active ingredient into my lungs in a single hit. And I don't mean any offense, I just find it a bit ... odd. =P

(That being said, I have small lungs ... but even my roommate, who has big lungs, agrees that you can't really get 10 to 20 uses out of a single gram)

12. Buritos

Buritos Member

Thanks good sir.

Ill let you all know how my experience is..im ordering tonight off spiritgarden.

woo

13. redgreenvines

redgreenvines Member

Hikky z.,
    I have been doing it for a while.
    I really need no more than 700mics to get level 4
    800 mics to level 5
    1000 mics and I cannot remember what happenned.
    you know there are at least 2500 mics in a gram of unmodified salvia, and 5x is 5 times that.
    comes to 12500 mics. (12.5 mg)
    that is ~18 times to level 4 for me.

maybe try standardized, maybe you need a better supplier or a short glass pipe so you don't lose any condensating on the long walls of tubing.

14. Buritos

Buritos Member

Thanks..

15. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No need to put tobacco in the bowl.
    Personally, plain old leaves work for me, and quite well. Extracts while powerful, I personally find a bit too much for my taste. Took me over a month to even recall the trip.
    Safe journeying to you.

16. Buritos

Buritos Member

This is fun so it is!

Hehehe...woo for salvia..

17. syd

syd Banned

Are there any extremely bad side effects? Is it safer sticking with shrooms?

18. Hikaru Zero

The worst "side effect" is losing control of your body and possibly ending up hurting yourself. That's about it. Otherwise, there are no known side effects.

19. redgreenvines

redgreenvines Member

when smoked, the effects accummulate very rapidly across the salvia scale
    S_A_L_V_I_A (subtle, altered, light visual, visionary, immaterial, amnesiac).

there is some dance up and down so getting to _V_ (which I find most desireable)
    will probably involve momentarily visiting _I_ and possibly _A_, but backing off in dosage might leave you in the unimpressive S_A_L side of the effects ramp.

If you hit _I_ the sense of body will definitely be odd, hence "Immaterial", body may seem to dissapear like OOBE or be merged with some other physical entity like a wall door flor or bed. I find I get up and wander or I turn around a lot with _I_ level - often moving my cup of water into a different room during a larger movement, though seldom do I spill my cup.

If you hit _A_ "Amnesia" sets in, the world is so strange you cannot remember sequences or detail, you could hurt yourself if not watched. My visit's to _A_ are very brief, but once I came-to on a staircase clinging to a railing with no clothes on. I was able to regain composure and dignity, but it was very odd.

I would not call any of those effects side effects since they are expected, and dosage dependent.

there is a lingering glow "side effect" that is a general beneficial feeling called after glow.

sometimes there is a mild allergic headache which is a true side effect which can last for a couple of hours. I rarely get that.

20. Hikaru Zero

Hmm, forgive me, I haven't heard of a mild allergic headache. But the afterglow shouldn't be considered a side-effect. And depending on your experience, it might be an afterhell rather than an afterglow. =P

redgreenvines is referring to the S-A-L-V-I-A scale. View it at http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html .

I suggest everyone read it; it's very preparing for a salvia experience. =) Just don't forget to let go of reality as its coming on. ;)