I am a proud Rasta-Christian. Beliefs/Disbeliefs

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by RastaforChrist, Jun 30, 2009.

1. RastaforChrist

RastaforChrist Member

Alright. I've been harassed before on Hipfourms for many things, including my beliefs. So I'm going to state what I believe in and what I don't now to clear this up for everyone. Agree, disagree, comment, go ahead. I'm just making this public.

BELIEFS:

Jesus Christ is the only God.
    He came to earth, suffered, and died on the Cross.
    He died for us and our sins so we could be with Him in heaven when we die.
    He rose again 3 days later.
    Smoking marijuana is the healing of the nation.
    Alcohol is the destruction of the nation.
    The entire Holy Bible is true down to the punctuation marks.
    Both Israel and Africa are Holy Lands.
    You must be a Christian to go to Heaven.
    You can be white and be a Rastafarian.
    You don't have to dread your hair or smoke herb to be Rastafarian.
    Rastafari is a way of life, not a religion.

WHAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN:

I don't believe Haile Selassie I was any type of god-like figure at all.
    I don't believe that you have to be African to be Rastafari.
    I don't believe that you have to smoke herb or get dreadlocks to be Rastafari.
    I don't believe you ever have to listen to Reggae to be Rastafari.
    I don't believe that any present day figure is a prophet worthy of being holy.
    I don't believe that you have to eat the Ital diet to be Rastafari.
    I don't believe you have to be what people say 'true rasta' is to be Rastafari.

I'm sorry if that offends some of you who may remember me from my old profile. That's who I am. And if you say I'm just a fanatical Christian who wants to live in Jamaica and smoke ganja, fine. But guess what? I am a Christian. I love Jesus Christ very much and I am going to heaven because of my trust that He came to earth in form of man and suffered and died on the cross because he loved us and rose again in 3 days just so we could be with him at the end of our days. But guess what I also am. A Rastafarian. I am a Christian-Rasta who hates the idea that Emperor Haile Selassie I was thought to be an incarnation of God and loves the idea that Jesus Christ was is and always will be the ONLY son of God.

May you all have a Christ blessed day :)

2. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

3. RasLevi

RasLevi Member

Mate, I'll be honest. I understand where you are coming from. I have heard a dilemma very similar to this, if not the same. I don't agree with all of that but I can understand it.

4. killswitchjd

killswitchjd Senior Member

I agree but disregard most theology completely

1 person likes this.
  5. mmg

mmg fish out of water

you seem rather deluded.

and im embarassed for you because you call yourself a rasta.

6. natural philosophy

i feel really inspired after reading that post

7. Catiegb

Catiegb Member

Rastaforchrist: you should have never been harassed. People should be able to state their opinions and differences without being threatened, or called retarded for their beliefs. I don't agree with any of the Rasta beliefs, except I believe pot could heal this nation. But, I think you stated your views very well and you were very polite about it. So, right on to you for sharing. :)

8. Xac

Xac Visitor

Ok i wanted to point out somethings on three levels, the lines highlighted in red are points of yours which suggest that yes you are a Christian. The lines highlighted in black are the points that suggest there is a big difference between you and what I understand to be Rastafari. And finally the points in blue are the ones that do have a nice cross over.

So getting back to the points i have highlighted in black, what are your reasons for your beliefs behind those conclusions? And more perplexing, is why you don't just call yourself a Christian instead of trying to redefine Rasta? It seems to me, that it's almost like a Christian calling himself a Jewish* man that believes in the New Testament.

"I don't believe you have to be what people say 'true rasta' is to be Rastafari."

I think this point bothers me the most, I do agree on a deeper level, but in the context you have put it, don't you think it is disrespectful in some ways to try and tell a people that their religion is wrong and redefine it into what you want it to be? especially when you have both feet firmly in another existing religion?

It's not that I don't respect your right to your own beliefs, it's that use of the labels which seems to be problematic (in an intellectual debate of correctness, i dont give a shit what people want to call themselves in real life.). I don't think there is a problem in being a Christian and having a spiritual connection with Africa or to enjoy marijuana either, I don't think you have to define yourself as Rasta to believe what you believe.

Which leads me to my real question, which is the point of this whole issue you have decided to talk about. Why do you define yourself as Rasta?

*of course using the term Jewish to some one refering to themselves in the religious sense and not the ethnic/cultural sense.

9. natural philosophy

some kids just want to smoke weed and wear cool colors to school so they call it a 'religion' and expect not to be called on it.

10. OneDrop

OneDrop Guest

Come on what does that even mean? How can you be a Rastafarian and not accept H.I.M as The Messiah? Thats like saying you're a Christian but you don't accept Jesus Christ as The Saviour! At best its contradictory.

11. Royaltramp

Royaltramp Member

Why is it that you accept Jesus Christ as the embodiment of the Lord, but not Haile Selassie?

I accept both as the Lord's spirit, for the Lord is in all that is good, and all that is pure. I do not consider myself a Christian *or* a Rastafarian, however I share the views of both religions, along with a few other less commonly held beliefs.

By definition, you do not seem to be a Rastafarian. I do not regard myself as a Rastafarian because although I share the same views as most Rastafarians, I also share many other views held by other religions, which makes me beliefs often quite confusing to those who don't know me well.

Firstly, there is a reason that Rastafarians generally refer to "Marijuana" as Herb - because that is the term used in the Holy Bible, and "Marijuana" is a horrible slang term brought up by prohibition.

It seems to me like you're a Christian who smokes Herb, and you presume that is the only difference between Christianity and Rastafarianism. Most of the Christians I know actually smoke Herb, so it is not.

I understand you are coming from, but why do you claim to be a Rastafarian, I'm really missing the point. You can be a Christian and still believe everything you believe now.

God bless, Jah bless. :)

-Matt

12. RastaforChrist

RastaforChrist Member

When Christ comes back to Earth, all of the Earth's Christian's would be gone. I'm still here, as well as many others. Therefore, he's not the second coming, or, "God Elect" in my book. Thank you everybody who supported me.

13. DonBK

DonBK Member

???

14. natural philosophy

ya rly you should explain that one

15. DonBK

DonBK Member

Ahoy NP!

16. natural philosophy

17. DonBK

DonBK Member

Merry Massing to our resident Christian Rasta ... in case you somehow put 2 and 2 together and get 4, His Majesty’s Earth-day is 23 July ... just in case.

One Love ... Jah Guide!

18. kye kye

kye kye Member

I was exactly in the postion u were however there are many types of rasta .the twelve tribes of Israel sect believe jesus is the son of god and view haile of.only spreding gods word .they are more Christian oppinionated about Jesus .google.it u can.be a rasta and believe in Jesus

19. natural philosophy

yeah, totally BRAH

20. kye kye

kye kye Member

lol found it

The Twelve Tribes of Israel is a Rastafarian group founded in Kingston, Jamaica, and now functioning worldwide. Its founder, Vernon Carrington, was known as Prophet Gad, and taught his students to read the Bible 'A Chapter A Day'.

Twelve Tribes of Israel (Ysrayl) Rastafarian organization accept Yahshuwah The Messiyah/Yesus Kristos as Master and Saviour, and H.I.M. Haile Selassie I as divinely chosen by the Creator to represent him on earth and not an incarnation. Due to the stigma associated with slavery and the false/pagan use of the name "Jesus" by enslavers/colonialist not practicing what they preached, it is preferred to use the ancient names of The Messiah (Ha Mashiyahch) which is Yahshuwah, Yahoshua or Yahshua (original sacred Hebrew name) and/or Yesus/I-Yesus Kristos (Amharic/Ge'ez name).

H.I.M. is seen as a divinely anointed king in the lineage of King David and King Solomon. While he is considered a type/representation of The Messiyah in Kingly Character, he is not Yahshuwah The Messiyah/Yesus Kristos himself, but a representative of the everlasting Davidic covenant, which is to be fulfilled by The MessiahYahshuah/ I-Yesus Kristos when he returns as The Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Yahudah).

The Twelve Tribes symbology is based on Yahqob's (Jacob's) 12 sons, and correspond to the months of the ancient Ysraylite (Israelite) calendar, beginning with April and Reuben. The Most High Jah/Yah/YHWH gave Yahqob a new name which was Ysrayl (Israel). Some people further relate the 12 Tribes to metaphysical signs. Thus Bob Marley came from the Tribe of Yowseph (Joseph), the eleventh of the biblical Ysrayl's (Israel's) twelve children (because he was born in February). The name Levi in Ijahman Levi represents the third child who was born to Yahqob (Jacob). Another well known reggae group of this organization is Israel Vibration.

Bob Marley, by quoting a biblical passage about Yowseph (Joseph) on the album cover of Rastaman Vibration, was acknowledging his own support for this sect. Dennis Brown, Freddie McGregor, Mikey Dread and many other roots reggae artists were associated with The Twelve Tribes of Israel (Ysrayl).