Tell us about yourself.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by zilla939, May 28, 2009.

1. mmg

mmg fish out of water

lux is right, when i was 17 i was thrown out too and did some "urban camping" for about 9 months. i had a secret tent, behind a bush, on Harvard University, in the middle of the city. in my opinion you aren't homeless unless you're a squatter or you sleep on a park bench. might i suggest having a less helpless/hopeless attitude, which is what i'm getting from you. you sound like you're not even being proactive, being sedentary, sitting on the computer all day acting poor... ugh//

2. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

true, no matter what state the economy is in right now there are still jobs out there and ways to get some money. yesterday my dad was made redundant. it was a total shock to the family since he'd been working in that company for 35 years! instead of wallowing though, he's being proactive. he's looking into starting a small business from home and is going to invest some money into a shop for me! It's so exciting, and he's only been jobless for 24 hours!

3. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

I think you should lay off greengirl it was only a little comment no need to stress bout it. I see hundreds of worse comments to get wound up by on here that no-one seems to give a shit about. just my thoughts anyways...:)

4. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

green earth...I understand how you feel. It sucks being in a situation that was not of your choosing. I was forced to move back in with my rents for a bit which is such a big fat blow to my ego!!!!! I have supported myself since I was 17 and have been supporting myself with baby since I was 21....so having to rely on someonelse for a bit sux!!!!!!! But as lux and mmg said....focus on the positive....you do have a roof over your head and all that. Just give respect to your brother in law even if you dont mean it and youll get it back. And remember your situation is only temp. =]

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

your back with your rents mandy? it is strange when you have to go backwards. when me and my husband were living with mine he found it so weird since he'd been living away from home since he was 16. then all of a sudden he was living with 6 other people including me and my two sisters who are a lil bit crazy!

6. chemigals

btw lux thats awesome news bout your shop plans what will you be stocking? im visioning you with a vintage boutique or a hippy/creative type shop?

7. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

yeah Im with the folks till the new home for my soon to be hubby and I is ready...basically Im moving in with him but we have to wait till his roomies move out on July 1'st.
    lol at the thought of your po hubby movin in with you and your crazy siblings! I saw the youtube vid of you and your sis in the woods. I can only imagine the antics in your home. =] Oh and congrats on the shop too! You have to set up a web page so we can see all your goodies for sale! I want a Lux original! =]

8. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

yeah, I'm so excited about the shop:)I just didn't think it was going to happen so soon. It's going to be a shop selling only pretty handmade clothes and other interesting things. It's going to have my paintings and then I'm getting my paintings put onto little pocket mirrors, lamps, ashtrays-basically anything I can think of! then at night once or twice a month it's going to be a wine bar with live music and we will also have space for other artists that I want to collab with. I will set up a web page too^__^thanx ladies,,,what do you think I should call it?xx

9. chemigals

hummmm ........... you need something that really suits your personality,something unique and quirky that its easily remembered but unforgetable.
    make a list of things that you had in mind and we could help you decide if your stuck? that would be fun! like a mini poll :)

10. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

thats wat I'll do^___^I'll get some ideas and make a poll later :)

11. Duval Dreadhead

Duval Dreadhead Banned

There is a couple of very cool stores in my city that are down to earth amazing places that seem to be similar to what you want. They are called loose screws and caribbean connection. You could name it something like DreadHead Connection.... Maybe not... Anyway maybe those will help.

12. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

exactly

your brother in law is probly not nice to you because he doesn't like you mooching off of them.

13. greenearthgirl4

greenearthgirl4 Member

I understand what y'all are saying about being grateful- I was exaggerating when I said 'homeless' I know, it's like mandy said I am used to having my own apartment and supporting myself, and to have to go back to being dependent on someone else sucks- plus my family whom I'm living with and I disagree on lots of philosophical things, they are evangelical Christians and very conservative, very restrictive.

I am not sedentary however I look for jobs everyday but there really isn't any in my field. Anyway I think I was just feeling sorry for myself yesterday, I'm over it now :)

That's awesome news about your shop luxie, I think that you'll be really successful, from what I've seen of your style and art. wine bar is good idea!

14. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

^ oh, now the chrstian bashing makes sense. lol.

yeah luxie. i agree you need to have a website that we can look at.

15. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

it's oki greenearth, we can all exaggerate when were a little annoyed and emotional! I am soo excited for my shop. I have to get working, it's going to be so much work! But good work^__^thank you for your kind words xo

16. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

Lux I love love your idea, such a cool concept. Is the clothing in your store all going to be your designs or are you getting other designers in there?? I love the printed pocket mirror idea too. you need a website!!

17. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I want to collaborate with some other artists, the pocket mirror and teapot idea. is just for people who can't afford to buy a pricey dress or painting but would still like a little taste of my work:)

18. mmg

mmg fish out of water

thats pretty cool about your shop... right now i print and design t-shirts for sale at festivals. just doing small print runs now(24 shirts), but I'm signed up as a vendor for Hempfest in September and I'm doing a 500 shirt print run. I'm testing designs right now to see which ones will make the most dough.

Getting paid for being creative is so rewarding! :)

19. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

thats so cool mmg:)and I know-it's great to get some monies for painting and shizz. you should go on dragons den^__^I should too realli:p

20. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

darn tootin'!

i made some plant labels from fimo for our veg patch, and im ganna try and get some gardening stuff websites to stock 'em ^-^