NP's comprehensive FAQ (the thread to end all dumb threads)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by natural philosophy, May 21, 2009.

1. brayingdonkey

brayingdonkey Member

NP you have too much time on your hands. :D

2. hawtmamah

hawtmamah Member

LOL... this made me smile. i love how perfectly frank you are. And i am one of the guilty "dumb" ones, so i apologize... but after seeing the bajillion and one "ZOMG" threads that have popped up in here since i joined just a few short weeks ago i can totally understand your point of view:)

3. dreadedsunflower

dreadedsunflower Senior Member

I liked it a lot first long post I've actually been able to read through lol and its funny

its a winner

4. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

LOL.... pretty good... even though it is opinion based...I agree with it all...so its my opinion too...

And the velcro gets me all the time!...:cuss:

5. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

yes i did in fact project my opinions because to my knowledge there haven't been any scientific studies done on dreadlock methods with which to cite. i've had dreadlocks for about 6 years and on multiple dreadlock forums for longer than that. i'd say my opinions are well qualified.

like i said at the end of my post, if you disagree why not post your viewpoint? call me out on it. quote me and tell us all why it's wrong. let the entire dread community learn from it.

6. gretaoto

gretaoto Senior Member

What exactly is opinion based in it?

7. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Huh?

8. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Oh, nevermind, lol *spaz*

9. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

amy...lol

load of it are opinion based because of the exact reason NP stated here
    does it matter? to me it doesn't....

10. mmg

mmg fish out of water

well played Natural Philosophy, sometimes I feel like this forum doesn't deserve you...

1 person likes this.
  11. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

agreed

also to those who say its 'too opinion based' it does say 'NP's FAQ's' so it does what it says on the tin.

12. natural philosophy

like i said, took the time to kill a 6 pack. that's about 30-45 minutes. maybe an hour at the most.

go ahead if you want to link it

you're not going to re-invent the wheel. neglect is the term that correctly describes what's going on. the reason people get confused when calling it natural is because some people consider natural backcombing but no wax while other consider natural to be palmrolling but no backcombing. 'natural' is a diluted term and could mean anything.

:cheers2:

13. natural philosophy

also, agreed.

:cheers2:

but that's to be said of anyone who wastes their time on an internet forum

14. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

still have a huge problem with people calling this method neglect b/c true neglect would not involve any section ripping.

it doesn't have to be painful as backcombing is your hair tight enough to where it hurts is a futile effort b/c as np mentioned a lot of these knots come loose anyways.
    this is not quite accurate. if you want a uniform look you must maintain the twisting forever or the shape of the lock will change as your hair grows.

i guess the only way to prove this would be with progress pics.

this method uses a hook to pull loose hairs through your locks in a weaved fashion. i can't say whether it damages my locks, but i only do it once a month or less. i feel everything's fine in moderation.
    i have found all of these methods to be noticeably effective.
    you don't have to buy ready made wraps. any cloth that is wide enough to reach from your hairline to the nape of your neck (forehead to neck) and long enough to wrap around your head once, is enough.
    make sure you strain your concoction or you will get bits of plant in your locks

15. hellodreadhead

hellodreadhead Beta as fuck

Velcro sucks. I always get it caught on my hair when I wear my "fat" suit

16. natural philosophy

thanks vig. i agree with you on most points but:

since i dont have afro locks or maintained locks i have to go off what i hear other from other people's experiences. ive heard negative and positive from maintenance methods. lots of peeps that flip roots, rootrub, etc. and keep their locks for more than a few years have reported damaged sections, weak sections where they were crocheted, or breakage.

the point im trying to make is yea, it makes it look neat-0 but years down the road it may end up getting weak. let us know how those maintained sections work out in a couple of years. i should have elaborated more fully.

ive heard from black and carib folk that they dont need to maintain much once the locks are started. ive also heard of using shea butter and conditioners. though ill admit dont know much about conditioners and all that.

as far as tnr method... lotsa peeps have positively compared tnr to backcombing on this and other forums. again, im going off what others have reported to the community since ive never used tnr.

last thing... head wraps. yea you don't have to buy them. you could make them if you want. there are also a type of traditional african wrap that is made in a specific way. can't remember what they are called but they have a unique look to them. for men and women too. popular in traditional jamaican communities. if you could help me remember the name, ill edit the original post. i think phunkybrewster.com sells them though i haven't seen them on her site in a while.

17. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

quality thread. would read again :cheers2:

18. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

Btw, I had my dreads backcombed and it never hurt me even once... not even by accident. Going to add the link in my siggy now. Even if it helps one newb find it, then it's worth it.

19. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

Nevermind, it won't let me add the link in my siggy as a clickable URL. I thought because it was an internal page it would be fine but nah.

20. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

Well if we don't rip those overly large pulling sections we will have a constant headache and the pulling could cause baldness

I will rip