Bible Questions?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by OlderWaterBrother, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

Does the bible preach of intolerance and tribalism?

2. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Nope to both.

Where would you get that from?

I would say that the Bible preaches love and communalism and the importance of expressing one's opinions.

Being direct isn't intolerance. Since we are in a forum discussing Christianity and you asked a question, I would respond to what I feel is pertinent to your question.

We can live our lives in anyway we see fit, just don't expect their being no consequences to our actions. But sure, live whatever life we feel like. Up to us, we are free people, right? But if someone says that jumping off the bridge is a great idea, just don't expect me to agree. Hey if you wanna jump, by all means. Just say we didn't warn ya.

If I have a buddy that says he wants to do something. I'll say, hmm, I dunno buddy, might not be a good idea, but its up to you if you want to do it. All friends do this. Or I can just say nothing, but what does that prove? That I am Silent Bob?

But again, we can decide on whatever we want. And I am tolerant of anything people want to do, just don't expect me to jump for joy if one of those decisions is to hurt another person.

It's a far cry to say we're being intolerant versus "I dunno man, maybe not such a swell idea".

"I don't think rape is good" Well, yes we are being intolerant to rape.

But I take intolerance to mean: "Controlling everyone's lives". Giving friendly tips when asked isn't exactly intolerance. Expressing an opinion in a clear way isn't intolerance. And not accepting rape, murder, crimes is a different form of intolerance.

3. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

:cheers2:

4. Rudenoodle

Do most modern day Christians believe in the more "miraculous" claims of the bible as literal?

I.e: Giant boats, giant fish, giant people, ect?

If Christianity is the true way to god why is Islam predicted to over take it as the worlds largest religion?

What are your views on the polytheistic theology's that predominated monotheistic views?

5. OlderWaterBrother

I think we’ve already done this tango a couple of times before haven’t we? ;)

Don’t you remember your Bible education? Many are to be on the broad road leading off to destruction and narrow is the way leading to life and few are the ones on it.

6. Rudenoodle

Do Christians claim to be superior to all non-believers when it comes to morality?

If they do not how do they justify the rapture?

7. OlderWaterBrother

The goal of Christians is not to be morally superior but to be pleasing to God. The Pharisees claimed to be morally superior but that didn't make them pleasing to God.

You may have noticed that I don't believe in a lot of what is called "Christian" doctrines and so what I consider to be the "rapture" may not be what you are thinking of when you say rapture.

8. Rudenoodle

Why are there so many Christian sects?

9. OlderWaterBrother

Satan does not want people to worship God and since true Christianity teaches people the right way to worship God, Satan doesn't want people to know what true Christianity is and the easiest way to do that is to try and hide it the middle of a multitude of imitation "Christian" sects.

10. Rudenoodle

How can you tell which sect is the true way to god?

11. OlderWaterBrother

Of course I think the Bible helps you to decide. So one thing to look for is a healthy respect for the whole Bible and what it says. This would mean that personal Bible study would be encouraged, so that each individual has proven for themselves that what they believe is from the Bible and should be able to explain those beliefs to others from the Bible. Also daily reading of the Bible itself should be encouraged as well.

Since the Bible says that Christian warfare should be spiritual and not fleshly and that we should not learn war any more and that the nations and their armies will be gathered to fight against God, I would say any “sect” that promotes nationalism and encourages it’s members to join in the military could be eliminated. I would say that this alone would eliminate most of them.

Just as Jesus could not be easily distinguished from his followers, those taking the lead in the Christian Congregation should not be wearing special garb to set them apart from others in the Congregation nor for that matter, should they be paid for what they do in assisting the Congregation. They received free so they should give free.

Jesus said that by their fruits you will know them. So as a group they should stand out not by being loud and flashy but by living good simple lives and by being kind, considerate and decent in a world that seems to be anything but.

There is more but this should be a good start.

12. Rudenoodle

You mentioned the bible as a "whole", but is it not true that you yourself just pick through certain passages of the bible and discredit those you choose to ignore?

Do you believe the universe is still expanding?

If so, would that not imply that it was still in the process of "creation" and in fact was not created in seven days?

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I'd agree with you on that.
    The idea of eternal hellfire seems wrong to me. Perhaps something resembling purgatory may exist - I'd see that as a place of purification, not suffering as per medieval accounts. The suffering there would be only a pang of not yet being in God's presence.

In the Bible where it talks about people etc being cast into the flames, I've always had the idea that this indicates destruction of negativity or sin, not eternal punishment for the sinner.

Some theologians and mystics have had the idea that in the end, all will be saved. Origen and Julian of Norwich are two I can think of. I beleive, if memory serves, that Origen was declared heretical after his death on account of this teaching.

14. OlderWaterBrother

No, I don’t believe that to be true. I do not discredit any of the scriptures in the Bible, if two scriptures seem to disagree, it’s my understanding of one or the other or both of the scriptures must be wrong and I try to find what meaning they must have so they agree. Was there something in particular you had in mind?

In any case what I meant when I said whole Bible, I was talking about how some tend to accept only half of the Bible or favor the Greek scriptures over the Hebrew scriptures, per say.

I really don’t know, I think that is the popular idea at this time but I just read that it is based on a uniform universe and there are some who are now postulating a non uniform universe and that may even eliminate the need for dark matter.

An interesting thought but there are some who believe that the week of creation is not over yet and that we are still in that last day of the creative week. Also one might say that the processes that were set in motion when the universe was created are just continuing on and nothing new is being created. Or my personal favorite, that the creation of the universe has nothing to do with the seven days and that the heavens and Earth were created separate from those seven days spoken of in Genesis and that the seven days only describe the preparation of the all ready created Earth for the creation and habitation of man.

15. Rudenoodle

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-lz5vuZk0d6_OxpNsTIUjlSs-?cq=1&p=709

Why do so many deities pre-dating the Jesus Christ mytho' s share so many of his characteristics?

PS - There are others, but that might be overkill.

Horus c. 3000 BCE

born of the virgin Isis-Merion December 25 in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
    his earthly father was named “Seb” (“Joseph”).
    He was of royal descent.
    at 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized having disappeared for 18 years.
    had 12 disciples, two of who were his “witnesses” and were named “Anup” and “Aan” (the two “Johns”).
    performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus (“El-Osiris”), from the dead.
    walked on water.
    his personal epithet was “Iusa,” the “ever-becoming son” of “Ptah,” the “Father.” He was thus called “Holy Child.”
    delivered a “Sermon on the Mount” and his followers recounted the “Sayings of Iusa.”
    was transfigured on a “Mount”.
    Was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.
    he was commonly referred to as the “Way, the Truth, the Light,” “Messiah,” “God’s Anointed Son,” “the “Son of Man,” the “Good Shepherd,” the “Lamb of God,” the “Word made flesh,” the “Word of Truth,” etc.
    he was “the Fisher” and was associated with the Fish (“Ichthys”), Lamb and Lion.
    He was supposed to reign one thousand years.

Inscribed about 3,500 years ago on the walls of the Temple at Luxor were images of the Annunciation, Immaculate Conception, Birth and Adoration of Horus, with Thoth announcing to the Virgin Isis that she will conceive Horus; with Kneph the “Holy Ghost,” impregnating the virgin; and with the infant being attended by three kings, or magi, bearing gifts. In addition, in the catacombs at Rome are pictures of the baby Horus being held by the virgin mother Isis—the original “Madonna and Child.”

Osiris c. 3000 BCE

Father of Horus, considered to be part of a triune godhead -- Osiris, Horus and Isis. Osiris was identified with nearly every other Egyptian god and was on the way to absorbing them all. He had well over 200 divine names.
    called the Lord of Lords, King of Kings, God of Gods.
    He was the Resurrection and the Life, the Good Shepherd, Eternity and Everlastingness, the god who “made men and women to be born again.”
    Osiris was to the Egyptians the god-man who suffered, an died, and rose again, and reigned eternally in heaven. They believed that they would inherit eternal life, just as he had done
    Osiris’s coming was announced by Three Wise Men: the three stars Mintaka, Anilam, and Alnitak in the belt of Orion, which point directly to Osiris’s star in the east, Sirius (Sothis), significator of his birth
    Osiris was a prototypical Messiah, as well as a devoured Host. His flesh was eaten in the form of communion cakes of wheat, the “plant of Truth.”

The cult of Osiris contributed a number of ideas and phrases to the Bible. The 23rd Psalm copied an Egyptian text appealing to Osiris the Good Shepherd to lead the deceased to the “green pastures” and “still waters” of the nefer-nefer land, to restore the soul to the body, and to give protection in the valley of the shadow of death (the Tuat). The Lord’s Prayer was prefigured by an Egyptian hymn to Osiris-Amen beginning, “O Amen, O Amen, who are in heaven.” Amen was also invoked at the end of every prayer.

Attis of Phrygia c.1400 BCE

born on December 25 of the Virgin Nana (or sometimes Cybelem).
    considered the savior who was slain for the salvation of mankind.
    his body as bread was eaten by his worshippers
    his priests were “eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven.”
    he was both the Divine Son and the Father.
    he was crucified on a tree on “Black Friday,” from which his holy blood ran down to redeem the earth
    he descended into the underworld for three days., and was resurrected on March 25 (as tradition held of Jesus) as the Most High God. -- reborn as the evergreen pine.

Krishna c. 1400 BCE (possibly as early as 5771 BCE)

born of the Virgin Devaki (“Divine One”) on December 25.
    his earthly father was a carpenter, off in the city paying tax when K. was born.
    birth was signaled by a star in the east and attended by angels and shepherds, at which time he was presented with spices.
    heavenly hosts danced and sang at his birth.
    persecuted by a tyrant who ordered the slaughter of thousands of infants.
    anointed on the head with oil by a woman whom he healed
    depicted as having his foot on the head of a serpent.
    worked miracles and wonders, raising the dead and healing lepers, the deaf and the blind.
    used parables to teach the people about charity and love, and he “lived poor and he loved the poor.”
    castigated the clergy, charging them with “ambition and hypocrisy . . . Tradition says he fell victim to their vengeance.”
    his “beloved disciple” was Arjuina or Ar-jouan (Jouhn).
    transfigured in front of his disciples.
    gave his twelve disciples the ability to work miracles.
    his path was “strewn with branches.”
    died on a tree or was crucified between two thieves.
    killed around the age of 30, and the sun darkened at his death.
    rose from the dead and ascended to heaven “in the sight of all men.”
    depicted on a cross with nail-holes in his feet, as well as having a heart emblem on his clothing.
    called the “Shepherd of God” and considered the “Redeemer,” “Firstborn,” “Sin-Bearer,” “Liberator,” “Universal Word.”
    deemed the “Son of God” and “our Lord and Savior,” who came to earth to die for man’s salvation.
    the second person of a Trinity.
    his disciples purportedly bestowed upon him the title “Jezeus,” or “Jeseus,” meaning “pure essence.”

Zoroaster/Zarathustra c. 1000 BCE or earlier

born of a 15-year-old virgin, Dughdhava and “immaculate conception by a ray of divine reason.”
    was baptized in a river.
    in his youth he astounded wise men with his wisdom.
    was tempted in the wilderness by the devil.
    began his ministry at age 30 wandered around with twelve followers.
    baptized with water, fire and “holy wind.”
    cast out demons and restored the sight to a blind man.
    taught about heaven and hell, and revealed mysteries, including resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse.
    had a sacred cup or grail.
    was slain.
    his religion had a eucharist.
    he was the “Word made flesh.”
    followers expected a “second coming” in the virgin-born Saoshynt or Savior, who is to come in 2341 CE and begin his ministry at age 30, ushering in a golden age.

Mithra of Persia c. 600 BCE

born of a virgin on December 25 in a cave, and his birth was attended by shepherds bearing gifts.
    --considered a great traveling teacher and master.
    -had 12 companions or disciples.
    his followers were promised immortality.
    performed miracles.
    the “great bull of the Sun,” Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
    buried in a tomb and after three days rose again.
    resurrection was celebrated every year.
    called “the Good Shepherd” and identified with both the Lamb and the Lion.
    considered the “Way, the Truth and the Light,” and the “Logos,” [Word] “Redeemer,” “Savior” and “Messiah.”
    sacred day was Sunday, the “Lord’s Day,” hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
    had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter.
    his religion had a eucharist or “Lord’s Supper,” at which Mithra said, “He who shall not eat of my body nor drink of my blood so that he may be one with me and I with him, shall not be saved.”
    his annual sacrifice is the Passover of the Magi, a symbolical atonement of pledge of moral and physical regeneration.

ALSO, the Vatican is built upon the papacy of Mithra, and the Christian hierarchy is nearly identical to the Mithraic version it replaced . . . Virtually all of the elements of the Catholic ritual, from miter to wafer to altar to doxology, are directly taken from earlier Pagan mystery religions.

Buddha (Siddartha Gautama) c. 563 BCE

born on December 25
    born of the Virgin Maya (“the Queen of Heaven”)
    announced by a star and attended by wise men presenting costly gifts.
    at his birth Brahma angels sang hymns.
    tempted by Mara, the Evil One, while fasting, but overcame the temptation, putting the Evil One to flight.
    taught in temple at age 12 and was able to match the wise religious scholars in their understanding.
    He healed the sick; fed 500 from a small basket of cakes.
    walked on water.
    Buddha's disciple wanted to hear his lord preach so he started to cross a stream – he doubted and started to sink but he built up his faith and continued to walk across the water.
    came to fulfill the law and preached the establishment of a kingdom of righteousness.
    He obliged followers to live in poverty and to renounce the world.
    In his final years, Buddha was said to have 'crushed a serpent's head' and to have been transfigured on a mount ...'
    It was Buddha, not Christ, who first said: 'If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also'

Dionysus c. 186 BCE

born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger.
    a traveling teacher who performed miracles.
    rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.
    a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification.
    rose from the dead on March 25.
    the God of the Vine, and turned water into wine.
    called “King of Kings” and “God of Gods.”
    considered the “Only Begotten Son,” Savior,” “Redeemer,” “Sin Bearer,” Anointed One,” and the “Alpha and Omega.”
    identified with the Ram or Lamb.
    His sacrificial title of “Dendrites” or “Young Man of the Tree” indicates he was hung on a tree or crucified.

16. OlderWaterBrother

Although this isn’t strictly a “Bible question”, so not I’m going in to look each one individually, I will say this about it;

One, Jesus was not born on Dec. 25, although his exact date of birth is not known, the date his birth, for a number of reasons, was closer to Oct 1 or 2.

Second, his birth was not announced by a star and there were and no “Wise Men” were present at his birth. His birth was announced by angels and only shepherds attended his birth. The star and the “Wise Men” were about three years later.

Last, Jesus is not part of a trinity.

17. Rudenoodle

Do you find it odd that Jesus shares the same virgin birthed origin as many other deities that were at one time worshiped?

18. OlderWaterBrother

Not really, the Bible said it would happen and Satan can read the Bible, so it would be advantageous for him to make it look like Jesus was just one of the other Pagan gods.

19. Rudenoodle

Does the bible mention astrology?

And if so in what terms?

20. OlderWaterBrother

It's been said that the "Wise Men" were astrologers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.