Hmmm...

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by Pwn Biscut, May 3, 2009.

1. Pwn Biscut

Pwn Biscut Member

I'm 15, and I >>WANT<< to drop out, get a GED, and grow my own herbs and such and sell them. That's all I want to do, forever. I've had my phases about careers, but I'm sure about this one, I've wanted to for quite a while. I've been told by EVERYONE to finish High School. I'm sick of doing word finds for grades, and learning about how to form sentences when I have better grammar than most of the people in my school.

Here's my ideas.

--Grow my own herbs, trees, vegetables, and maybe even fruits. Definitely some watermelons.--Have a website for my business, and have instructions and information about the things I sell, and how to grow them. This will draw in ad revenue =]
    --Live with my dad until I decide that I've met "that someone". He makes $50,000-65,000 a year, and is as, if not more frugal than I.
    --I'm a pretty damn good musician, and I'll have my work on iTunes and MySpace.
    --We have plenty of vending machines that on average bring in $20-30 profit a month. There are probably 25 of them that aren't in use, and 50+ that are.

How much money do you guys think I would be making a year?
    --Be VERY frugal.

2. agentslander

agentslander Member

Personally, I dropped out and it hasn't stunted my ability to be creative and I know that eventually I'll find success in my writing and I'll still be able to go to college, so on a realistic level: Meh on high school.

BUT, have a back up plan. Good to have dreams and set goals, but prepare for set back! Back up plan!

3. Pwn Biscut

Pwn Biscut Member

Thanks mate. I'm showing the responses to my mom, and she's just shitting on me. I appreciate all responses =]]

4. chaosx

chaosx Member

school is mostly a waste of time, especially highschool. that said, it is very hard to make it on your own without a formal employer. people do it, but it is alot of work. in your head you always think how great it will be, but the reality it you work alot, and you are always at work. no one else is gonna get it done, you have to.

at 15 i don't think you really are ready to go out on your own. yeah everybody wants to make it as a musician, but only 1 in 20,000 can manage to make any money on it.

i would suggest do what you want to do, but don't expect it to pay your bills for years if ever, if you work hard, and are lucky you might make it. get a day job.

you don't need to drop out of school to do this, but you should drop out get a ged and take some community college courses related to your interests. start now, get a job to so you can fund your projects.

and get used to working your ass off.

5. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Stay in school and stick it out, unless as chaosx said you plan to enroll in college and at least earn an AA degree.

The reason is that no matter how intelligent you are or how solid your business plans may be the world of business in general views it as dropout=quiter/loser. You will find it harder to get any type of business loans and generally have it tougher.
    I speak from experience.

It may feel like a solid plan now, but you are still only 15. I don't mean that in any type of negative way at all, I was 15 once too.
    Just that at your age time seems to just ccrraawwll soooo sloowwwly, but in reality ten years will go by before you know it. A lot can and will change in that ten years, and you will still have a long and full life ahead of you. During that time you can earn a high school diploma and a college degree in horticulture with a minor in business and then really kick some ass with your business plans, and still start them now and grow your business part time until you have the credentials to be taken seriously in the world of business.
    Trust me, it makes a big difference.
    Making a business a success is very difficult, especially in todays economy. Graduate and have a backup plan as you pursue your dreams.

At the very least you can look back and not feel as though you ever quite anything and gain a real sense of pride and accomplishment.:D

In short, earning your high school diploma says a lot more about the type of person you are and sticking with something a lot more than it does about reading, writing and arithmetic.