Dreadlock Mold Help?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by therottenagenda, Mar 14, 2009.

1. therottenagenda

therottenagenda Member

I just joined this site so I could try to get some help with my dreadlocks. Ive had my dreads for about 6 months now and I am loving them. I noticed the other day that in a lot of them there is some kind of greyish substance in the near the roots. When I squish it in my fingers and then rub my fingers together it feels kinda greasy I guess. Im not sure if its mold or something else. I can really tell if it smells or im paranoid and think it smells. I have never used wax of anykind I dreaded using the backcombing method and thats it. I was reading through the site about how to get rid of dreadlock mold but a lot of it had to do with wax. Ive tried scrubbing this stuff out but had no luck. Ive heard stuff like tea-tree oil, ACV, and orange oil may work but im not sure what to use/measurements, plus I dont know whats in my hair. I think i need to dry them better. I do wear a tam from time to time but I almost always have them tied back and wear a bandana over top. Sometimes I sweat a lot and it get trapped under the bandana...could that be the cause? I did find a link to some kind of Deep Cleansing Concoction but the link didnt work. Can anybody help??????

[​IMG]

~Cheers

2. dreadlocksftw

dreadlocksftw Visitor

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to help you, but I just wanted to comment on that dog; FUCKING AWESOME!

3. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

that dog pwns.

i could easily just be buildup of residue, scalp oils, dirt, etc.
    if its mold, you will be able to smell it. it will not smell good.
    see if a deep clean will get rid of it. i dont know where the link is but i dont measure when i do it anyway:
    big bowl or bucket or sink of warm water
    3/4-1cup of baking soda
    couple squirts or tablespoons of lemon juice
    couple teaspoons of sea salt
    several drops of tea tree oil

mix it up and soak your dreads and scalp in it. wrap your hair in a towel for 1/2 hour. it might tingle your scalp but dont worry about it.
    rinse really damn well.

that always gets everything out of my hair.

i cant say wether you have mold or not without seeing/smelling it but i rather doubt you do. my guess is residue, oil and dirt buildup. in which case you might want to re-evaluate your shampoo and how you wash.

4. bcmama

bcmama Banned

Mould & Mildew remedies:

Dry your dreads in the sun as often as possible.

Add 1 cup of thyme to 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and let it cool. Use as a rinse/soak for your dreads.

Mix 1/4 cup water with 1/2 cup white vinegar and a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray on your dreads-do not rinse out! The vinegar smell will dissappear as it evaporates.

From the herbs for your head sticky.

5. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

ALL folks with locks are in danger of mold because of how long it takes our hair to dry.....it is just not the folks who used wax..another one of the eagles scare tactics.

6. SethHasDreads

SethHasDreads Member

quoted for truth.

7. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

I'd be surprised if you have mould after six months. If you're sure it is though I've heard rubbing alcohol is also good. This is not sth. I've tried btw, just read online. Just a matter of interest, how often have you been washing your hair, and what with? If you're washing it too often, maybe it's not getting chance to dry out properly?

8. therottenagenda

therottenagenda Member

Callie4Strings and SethHasDreads I apologize if I offended you with the wax comment. Ive just always been told that by using wax you are more prone to getting mold then not using wax. :) And thanks for all of the help everybody Im gonna try it out tomorrow.

[​IMG]

~Cheers

9. Callie4Strings

Im not offended! :)

10. brayingdonkey

brayingdonkey Member

If it smells like mold, its mold. What kind of soap do you use?

11. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

you are more prone if u use wax thats a fact if u didnt use wax it still can happen your just far less likely
    you all know this why are you trying to start shit again
    its fuckimg fact dont try making me look like a bad guy for tryuing to help people again..grow up

now since u used no wacxx and its only been 6 months i highly doubt its mold unless u wear the tam with wet hair..if u did youd smell it

it sounds more like what smelly calls head cheese basicly dried skin combined with oils and dirt that is like a gouey gunk..
    the deep cleanse is the 1st post in the wax removal sticky

id add inly lilteatree, and more rosemary that cleared up all my issues

other things it could be is lint and stuff but thats usualy not concentrated at the roots
    im 90% sure its just skin n crap

the mold wax connection only means you re much more likely to get mold nif u use wax..does not mean at all that if u wax your guaranteed to mold..or if u didnt your guaranteed not to

the diffeerence is more like 3% chance if u didnt wax vs a 70% chance if u did at a very rough guess.. it could be 4-60 for all i know
    it just meanss that the chances are greatly increased

and fuck you all for saying its MY scare tactics thats fucking bullshgit..itsa alll over thye fuckimg web and repeated here by everyuone exceot 3 people

im really sick of all your pointing fingers at me..
    and i already told yathat ..if yiou dont learn to behave ya can just do without me

12. Callie4Strings

Simmer down tea pot!!! Dont FUCKING curse me unless you want me to curse right the FUCK back!!!!! (sorry Oz)
    It is a FUCKING myth!!!!!
    Just because you have made up some retarded ass statistic in your wacked out little head does not make it a fact SE. You need to stop trying to scare these kids with your BULLSHIT!

"if I dont learn to behave...." fuck you man. Leave if you want...I dont give a rats ass!!!!

So much drama....sure you dont have a vagina hid in that mess somewhere?????

Sorry you guys!

Dude if you are sweating a lot and keep a bandana on...my guess, its mold...if not it is some funky head cheese...either way...scrub your noggin with the stuff BC mentioned....:)

13. bcmama

bcmama Banned

That was my reaction as well. Don't frakin' curse at me, I did not curse at you.

I really don't think that anyone but SE have mis-behaved here. This temper tantrum of his is just further evidence of his immature behavior.

You are hilarious! :D

14. bcmama

bcmama Banned

Anyway.....back to the OT. :)
    The vinegar e/oils spray worked really well for me in our old house that had mould in the bathroom and basement and it's safe for your hair, so I would personally try that one first.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

15. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

lol way to go callie :D

does anyone still think that there was anything to the hippyhillbilly shit? this is just how se behaves evidently :rolleyes:

16. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Ok just to clear up... wax can seal moisture into your dreads, therefore logically of course it will increase the chance of waxed dreads becoming mouldy. Even if you haven't used wax for months, it's impossible to know 100% exactly what's in your dreads, so there may still be wax, and that could prevent parts of your dreads from drying out completely. However, it's just a matter of increased risk, so it would obviously be totally wrong to say something like "omg you used wax, you're gonna get mouldy dreads and you will have to cut them off"

Anyway, it's a moot point here since the original poster didn't use wax, but the misunderstanding seemed to need fixing.

17. Critik

Critik Member

Man i didnt know you could still get mold with wet hair. How does that even work. I hope that doesnt happen to me.

18. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

yeah.. its damp isnt it. if it aint mould, it could just be funky damp smell. does it smell like wet dog?

anyway..... wash your hair really well, rinse and rinse and rinse some more, and let your locks air dry for a few hours.. dont put a hat on or anything, let them dry through really well.

also, i use knotty boy peppermint spray for when im having smelly dready days (ie, when ive been round smokers, or at a gig and got slightly sweaty but cba to wash)

and lmfao at the vagina comment, =D

19. Callie4Strings

However also if it take SE 30 some hours to dry his locks...and only takes mine like maybe 6 hours if I dont use a dryer...then I would say he has more of a chance of getting moldy then I do...even if I was still waxing.
    Those statistics he spews out is bullshit...all Im saying. Im sick of him scaring folks with shit he clamins to be facts. WE CAN ALL GET MOLD!!!!!
    Also I kind of found wax to be more of a water repellent. Water would bead up on my hands when I would wash them after waxing. Think as long as you make sure your locks are supa dry before applying wax then you should be fine....and at no more risk than anyone else.

20. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Yeh sure, and really fat dreads too. I was just concerend about the mixed messages we were giving the OP