Positive, hippie ways a Web Dev can earn a living

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by unity100, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

me too. except I'm not really a buddhist.

2. mokrit

mokrit Member

What path anyone follows is of course their own choice. My guess is they all lead to the same place in the end anyway.

Reason I say that this kind of thinking led me to Buddhism is because one of the main things about Buddhism is that this reality is a dream or illusion that we have chosen to accept - and seeing beyond the veil to real truth is a lot of what Buddhism is about.

but sorry - don't want to hijack your thread as this is clearly off subject :rolleyes:

3. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

lunaverse - I didn't attend school to do this (although I did do post secondary and have a lovely degree that I will never use the way I thought I would). If you are a self motivated person, there are many places I can point you to to help get you started.

Also, I know I don't really have time for it at the moment, but if anyone on hipforums wants to do some positive impact kinda sites, I can certainly help out and devote time to it. I love this kinda stuff.

Cheers!

4. Xora

Xora Member

Well, let me say this. It's easy to avoid to 9 - 5 if you not trying to make a living doing web design. Otherwise expect to work more than that. Im just being realistic as I've been doing this for years. I've gone through being a php developer, an ASP developer, and a cold fusion to now running my own company, and never once was I able to make a living doing less than a 9 - 5.

5. mokrit

mokrit Member

Oh, I disagree with this. I've been a project manager and coder since 1999. For a lot of years I worked for a company where I was only working 4 hours per day and making enough to live on - in NYC. It wasn't a 6-figure job or anything but hippies don't usually require that!

After I left there I started developing my own projects hiring freelancers on my own. Now I have days when I work all day long, and days when I take the whole day off just because I feel like it.

I definitely think that web development is a skill that can go in a lot of different directions. I personally love the creativity and freedom that it brings me.

However, I do agree with Xora in that it is easy to get caught up doing projects that require a lot of your time. But just about anything you do in life will have times when you have to give it 150% to get what you want out of it.

6. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

Ya, I agree mokrit. I make a full time living and I put in a lot less effort than I would if I were working a regular job. I think it depends on what you do with the web. Sounds like we have a very similar schedule. SOme weekends hubby will be busy with our kids and I will work 10 hours both Sat and SUn and not touch work very seriously for another week or two. Right now because of life situations I have less than 6 hours a week to work and I'm still making a full time income. I guess it all depends.

7. Xora

Xora Member

I guess it is the getting caught up in projects but I dont think you can avoid the 9 - 5 in an active Web Design company. That's a really common misconception. You have to give your clients what they want as soon as they want it..

8. mokrit

mokrit Member

OK, that is very true - when I was doing freelance web development work, that was probably the most on-demand working time in my life.

Freelance can be difficult. You have the perception that you will control your own schedule but in reality it is your clients that control your time. Plus, you are always looking for new clients.

But, I DO still think that there is a lot you can do as a web developer that avoids the 9-5.

My goal with it was always to earn enough money to support my artistic endeavors (I'm a performing artist too) - and it has served well for that purpose. Even when I have been on tour in other countries I have been able to get work done if I needed to.