Black History Month

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by Fawkes, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Elijah

Elijah Member

why do they need kwanzaa too? especially since they use an ear of corn as a symbol for kwanzaa and corn isn't even african in origin.
    black people not only get an entire history month, they get a holiday created just to celebrate their racial heritage. it's just goes to show, it's not always about equal rights or anything such as that. sometimes it boils down to wanting special treatment because someone still rides on the gravy train of their ancestors past wrongs done to them. btw, the guy who concieved kwanzaa ron karenga. he was convicted and imprisoned in 1971 for false imprisonment and felony assault, he kept two black women captive for two days against their will. yet this pseudointellectual jackass and bully gets his own holiday? i bet if a white guy did this to two women of any race, they'd never allow him to have his idea for a federally recognised holiday to become a reality.

2. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Yep,it's no longer about equal rights it's about "preferential" treatment.

3. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

If I could gone to a parade I would
    have. I started a book today with writings
    of black activists. It is very sad and
    terrible and important.
    peace,
    Delfynasa

4. european

european Member

I don't believe race exists.

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

As an african american it’s important to understand our roots and what better vehicle
    than with our own month in which to highlight our accomplishments and our
    long dark struggle for equality [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BLACK POWER, Ungowa

Hotwater ​

6. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

:iagree:

I think it's important for all Americans to understand the long dark struggle, and to understand that although great progress has been made, there are still a lot of African-American people struggling for equality.
    ( 'specialy in the southern states... :eek:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU

ZW

7. hotwater

I saw that on the local news - un fucking believable :mad:

Hotwater

8. sam71865

sam71865 Member

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) began monitoring Martin Luther King, Jr., in December 1955, during his involvement with the Montgomery bus boycott, and engaged in covert operations against him throughout the 1960s. FBI director
    J. Edgar Hoover was personally hostile toward King, believing that the civil rights leader was influenced by Communists. This animosity increased after April 1964, when King called the FBI ‘‘completely ineffectual in resolving the continued mayhem and brutality inflicted upon the Negro in the deep South’’ (King, 23 April 1964). Under the FBI’s domestic counterintelligence program (COINTELPRO) King was subjected to various kinds of FBI surveillance that produced alleged evidence of extramarital affairs, though no evidence of Communist influence. The FBI was created in 1909 as the Justice Department’s unit to investigate federal crimes. Hoover became FBI director in 1924 and served until his death in 1972. Throughout the 1930s the FBI’s role expanded when President Franklin D. Roosevelt asked the FBI to research ‘‘subversives’’ in the United States, and Congress passed a series of laws increasing the types of federal crimes falling under the FBI’s jurisdiction. During World War II, the FBI was further authorized to investigate threats to national security. This loosely defined mission formed the heading under which the FBI began to investigate the civil rights movement.
    The FBI initially monitored King under its Racial Matters Program, which focused on individuals and organizations involved in racial politics. Although the FBI raised concerns as early as March 1956, that King was associating with card-carrying members of the Communist Party, King’s alleged ties with communism did not become the focus of FBI investigations under the existing Communist Infiltration Program (COMINFIL), designed to investigate groups and individuals subject to Communist infiltration, until 1962. In February 1962, Hoover told Attorney General Robert Kennedy that Stanley Levison, one of King’s closest advisors, was ‘‘a secret member of the Communist Party’’ (Hoover, 14 February 1962). In the following months, Hoover deployed agents to find subversive material on King, and Robert Kennedy authorized wiretaps on King’s home and Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) offices in October 1963.
    Hoover responded to King’s criticisms of the Bureau’s performance in civil rights cases by announcing at a press conference in November 1964, that King was the ‘‘most notorious liar in the country’’ (Herbers, ‘‘Dr. King Rebuts Hoover’’). Surprised by the accusation, King replied that he could only have sympathy for Hoover as he must be ‘‘under extreme pressure’’ to make such a statement (Herbers, ‘‘Dr. King Rebuts Hoover’’). King asked an intermediary to set up a meeting between himself and Hoover to understand what had led to the comment. Andrew Young, a King aide was present at the meeting, recalled that there was ‘‘not even an attitude of hostility’’ between the two, but at about this same time, the FBI anonymously sent King a compromising tape recording of him carousing in a Washington, D.C., hotel room, along with an anonymous letter that SCLC staff interpreted as encouraging King to commit suicide to avoid public embarrassment (Senate Select Committee, 167).
    Hoover continued to approve investigations of King and covert operations to discredit King’s standing among financial supporters, church leaders, government officials, and the media. When King condemned the Vietnam War in a speech at Riverside Church on 4 April 1967, the FBI ‘‘interpreted this position as proof he ‘has been influenced by Communist advisers’’’ and stepped up their covert operations against him (Senate Select Committee, 180). The FBI considered initiating another formal COINTELPRO against King and fellow anti-war activist Dr. Benjamin Spock in 1967, when the two were rumored to be contemplating a run for the presidency, but ruled it out on the grounds that such a program would be more effective after the pair had officially announced their candidacy.
    In August 1967, the FBI created a COINTELPRO against ‘‘Black Nationalist–Hate Groups,’’ which targeted SCLC, King, and other civil rights leaders. King was identified as a target because the FBI believed that he could become a ‘‘messiah’’ who could unify black nationalists ‘‘should he abandon his supposed ‘obedience’ to ‘white liberal doctrines’ (nonviolence) and embrace black nationalism’’ (Senate Select Committee, 180). In the last few months of King’s life, the FBI intensified its efforts to discredit him and to ‘‘neutralize’’ SCLC (Senate Select Committee, 180).
    According to a U.S. Senate Committee convened in the 1970s to investigate the FBI’s domestic intelligence operations, the impact of the FBI’s efforts to discredit SCLC and King on the civil rights movement ‘‘is unquestionable’’ (Senate Select Committee, 183). The committee determined that: ‘‘Rather than trying to discredit the alleged Communists it believed were attempting to influence Dr. King, the Bureau adopted the curious tactic of trying to discredit the supposed target of Communist Party interest—Dr. King himself’’ (Senate Select Committee, 85).
    Though some civil rights activists were aware that they were under surveillance, they still had to rely upon the Bureau to investigate racial discrimination cases. After the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 the FBI’s jurisdiction in segregation and voting rights cases expanded significantly, and the FBI’s arrests in the Mississippi triple murder case during Freedom Summer demonstrated some measure of public commitment to civil rights investigations.
    After King’s assassination in 1968, the FBI successfully launched a large scale investigation to find his killer.

9. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Black History Month should of been made to Heritage Month years ago.

10. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

11. hotwater

12. [BDM]Starscream

[BDM]Starscream Member

Time to get over it, we are an integrated society now. BUT, if they continue to focus study on black history during black history month, they should stop censoring the material and teach the WHOLE history, not parts of stories. Like in public school, they fail to bring up the fact that african's started the slave trade themselves... it was common practice. Whites merely had the technology to take their business across the ocean.

13. hotwater

On the whiner thread we dedicated the month of june to white history month.

Here's an example ......

White History month; Cont’d

June 24; The Slave Cemetery in New York City (1991)

We celebrate the heroic black men and women who were recently discovered in an unmarked mass grave in downtown manhattan.

The discovery, subsequent excavation, and forensic examination of the remains, revealed that both men and women worked far beyond the capacity the human body could tolerate in order to allow their white masters to prosper.

Examination of the remains of children (who worked alongside their parents) also showed evidence of stress fractures and advanced arthritis; as If they too were willing to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of their loving, caring, white overseers.

We will never forget the contribution they made.

Hotwater

14. [BDM]Starscream

[BDM]Starscream Member

Perfect example, I didn't know that...

15. jonathanclay

jonathanclay Banned

way to make a statement and, simultaneously get yourself out of backing it up.

16. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

:banghead:

ZW :frown:

17. SkinnyHorse

SkinnyHorse Member

you guys remember taking your first state test in school? remember when it asked what race you are?

dude i remember sitting at my desk in 1st grade asking my teacher "Why does it matter?" she never did answer me. i got sent out to the principals office to do my test.

i even remember putting down "multi-racial" as my race cause i looked at the skin on my hand and was like "my skin isnt white, black, or hispanic... hmm never heard of that color."
    but yeah im white and that day was very profound to me.

it's pretty fucked up that American children are forcefully made very aware that that they are different from one another based on race.

seriously, people need to stop separating their selves.
    we're building our own tower of babel here in the states...

18. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

Why do we have
    Black History?!
    To Reveal the Mystery!!

19. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

i don't think its any big conspiracy, just a survey...

20. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

agreed. its a great age in the U.S.